K4 % Improvement vs K3

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
If this has already been discussed at length, mods please feel free to delete.

What I’m looking for is input from people who may have early real world comparisons between the K3 and K4. Specifically, is the K4 a vast enough improvement over the K3 to warrant spending the money on? I own a K3 4800 and 1800. It is SUCH a vast improvement over my previous pack system (Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and 2200). However, I haven’t had the opportunity to haul meat on the K3 frame and have only tried on the K4 at the Sportman’s Show here in Portland.

My biggest issue with the K3 is the hip belt slipping down. I’ve already swapped out for the stiffer foam lumbar pad, but found during hiking this spring that it was still slipping under moderate loads causing some significant discomfort, specifically while hiking uphill.

I just watched a YouTube review where the guy stated that if he had to quantify it, he felt the K4 was a 20% improvement over the K3. What would you set a percentage improvement at? Any thoughts and comparisons between the two is what I’m looking for and would be greatly appreciated!

What I’m looking for is input from people who may have early real world comparisons between the K3 and K4. Specifically, is the K4 a vast enough improvement over the K3 to warrant spending the money on? I own a K3 4800 and 1800. It is SUCH a vast improvement over my previous pack system (Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and 2200). However, I haven’t had the opportunity to haul meat on the K3 frame and have only tried on the K4 at the Sportman’s Show here in Portland.

My biggest issue with the K3 is the hip belt slipping down. I’ve already swapped out for the stiffer foam lumbar pad, but found during hiking this spring that it was still slipping under moderate loads causing some significant discomfort, specifically while hiking uphill.

I just watched a YouTube review where the guy stated that if he had to quantify it, he felt the K4 was a 20% improvement over the K3. What would you set a percentage improvement at? Any thoughts and comparisons between the two is what I’m looking for and would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know what the % improvement is, but I also had slippage with the k3, and had the firmer lumbar pad and the k4 is definitely better and I'm not sorry I bought one. It's worth the money to me, and the Nalgene holder is also a major upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

eltaco

WKR
I owned a K3 since first release and ordered a K4 on initial release as well. I truly loved my K3 and had no apparent reason to upgrade other than I’ve owned every Exo pack and they do get notably better with every iteration.

If your ONE complaint with the K3 is belt slip, you’ll find the K4 a substantial improvement. I’d suggest that’s the single biggest improvement in function over the K3.

I can’t give you a percent better, but I’m very confident if you’re one of the guys who had belt slip with the K3, the K4 will definitely speak to you.

All of that said, I’d probably give Exo a call and explain your concerns. Maybe it’s as simple as not having the right adjustment or fit on your current pack.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I had the K3 and slippage on as a problem for me. I like the K3 bag layout but could take the slipping anymore. I switched to K4 and it’s completely gone for me. I feel it’s well worth it to upgrade. That K4 hip belt locks in and I have no slippage.

JNDEER

WKR
You got to figure out why the K3 was slipping. For some it was the design others (like me) had to do with the lumbar pad deminsions (not firmness of the pad itself).

i am working on perfecting the k4. Out the gate it slips 50% less than the K3. Testing a multitude of ways to perfect it as based on my testing it feels like it could win out over my kifaru - but I am still in the lab.

IF you have the funds and use a pack in most of the hunting you do throughout the year AND the K3 slipped on you- IMO the K4 would be an upgrade, however depending on why it slipped it may not fix all your problems.

I will also note if you are between a L and XL they don’t make a between size and you could run into issues here (like in my case).

Reactions: DWD

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
JNdeer is spot on. Kifaru lite frame doesnt slip on me, likely due to lumbar pad surface material. However k4 overall is more comfortable, but it has taken many adjustments so far to get it that way. Exo mentioned shoulder straps/torso adjustments were finicky with k4 and I agree.

For me, I find I have the belt overly tight with both kifaru and k4 to negate slippage at 40lb+. Compared to k3, k4 is definitely an upgrade on the frame. The shoulder straps are a wash, but the lumbar and belt are better. I do not get a “locked” in feel as others have reported, but it is better than k3.

I have liked every gen of exo packs, but the k4 is next level… to me, it’s the perfect pack system… everything good from every pack company in one package

If your k3 slips under a heavy load, the k4 will absolutely be an improvement for you and worth the money. I like it better than every pack I’ve worn, and WAY better than most. Exo killed it with the k4

JNDEER

WKR
JNdeer is spot on. Kifaru lite frame doesnt slip on me, likely due to lumbar pad surface material. However k4 overall is more comfortable, but it has taken many adjustments so far to get it that way. Exo mentioned shoulder straps/torso adjustments were finicky with k4 and I agree.

For me, I find I have the belt overly tight with both kifaru and k4 to negate slippage at 40lb+. Compared to k3, k4 is definitely an upgrade on the frame. The shoulder straps are a wash, but the lumbar and belt are better. I do not get a “locked” in feel as others have reported, but it is better than k3.
Yes Sir.

I only have about a dozen miles on my latest testing Franklin pack at 65#- but I have taken my kifaru lumbar pad and added a temporary square “loop” pad on it to attach the material of the frame (after attaching this pad in place of the EXO pad) to it and have been running the EXO with that pad. But out the gate after a little adjustments I can 100%- get the belt to lock in like the kifaru- . Have to be ok not having the belt feel have that “cup” feeling around the iliac area and how the weight distribution is held around the waist belt is different as well - but so far its a win. Purchased a new kifaru lumbar pad system to cut and attempt to install permanently.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
I‘d be interested to see pics jndeer, when you get done testing.

I had the K3 and slippage on as a problem for me. I like the K3 bag layout but could take the slipping anymore. I switched to K4 and it’s completely gone for me. I feel it’s well worth it to upgrade. That K4 hip belt locks in and I have no slippage.
It’s my favorite belt/lumbar of any pack, it was a little different the first day I wore it, but broke in by the end of my first hike, and I can leave it fairly loose compared to others and it still sticks in place.

It’s also very comfortable like exo has always been. I didn’t have issues with the k3 belt on my k2, but I like everything about the k4 better. The whole system is awesome, and all of the little details that went into it is very impressive.

I was content with my previous exo (and my kifaru) but even still, the upgrade of the k4 is well worth the money to me. I will continue investing in the k4 and I don’t see wearing any other pack hunting.

I sold off everything else besides my k2 because that pack is still more valuable to me than what it’s worth on the used market, still like it a lot, but it won’t be seeing much action in the woods with the k4 being there

OP
ORhunter74

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
It’s my favorite belt/lumbar of any pack, it was a little different the first day I wore it, but broke in by the end of my first hike, and I can leave it fairly loose compared to others and it still sticks in place.

It’s also very comfortable like exo has always been. I didn’t have issues with the k3 belt on my k2, but I like everything about the k4 better. The whole system is awesome, and all of the little details that went into it is very impressive.

I was content with my previous exo (and my kifaru) but even still, the upgrade of the k4 is well worth the money to me. I will continue investing in the k4 and I don’t see wearing any other pack hunting.

I sold off everything else besides my k2 because that pack is still more valuable to me than what it’s worth on the used market, still like it a lot, but it won’t be seeing much action in the woods with the k4 being there
That’s exactly the kind of real world comparison and info I was hoping for. From everyone that’s replied. Thank you.

I love the K3 and have watched the adjustment videos many times, played with the harness height and cant. I’ve got it to where it is super comfortable, but still slips. It’s almost like the belt loosens ever so slightly to where I have to stop and tighten it occasionally. Overall I love the pack but I think I’m still going to have to try the K4. I’ve sold or am selling gear to fund it so I won’t feel so guilty for spending that kind of cash. The wife appreciates it as well. Lol

Still interested in hearing peoples experiences with both packs, good and bad.

OP
ORhunter74

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Terrebonne OR if you want to try my k4
Thanks so much for the generous offer! I have already tried one on at the northwest sportsman’s show with 50 lbs in it. It was definitely comfortable. I think I’ve decided to go that route for sure. As soon as I sell some other packs. Lol

Thanks so much for the generous offer! I have already tried one on at the northwest sportsman’s show with 50 lbs in it. It was definitely comfortable. I think I’ve decided to go that route for sure. As soon as I sell some other packs. Lol
It is night and day over the k2 and k3 for me.
I also ran the firm foam.
I do have alot of sand bags and a good 2.5 mile hike 800ft down to the river and back .

I have a brand new k2 with k3 belt that I bought and hunts fail thru,is it that big of an improvement to justify twice as much.
Pack will get used mainly to pack a few whitetail out.Maybe a western hunt in a few years.

I have a brand new k2 with k3 belt that I bought and hunts fail thru,is it that big of an improvement to justify twice as much.
Pack will get used mainly to pack a few whitetail out.Maybe a western hunt in a few years.
Depends, I have a k2 with a k3 belt and it’s the only other pack I kept… I don’t think it will get used much because I love the k4, but I value keeping it vs The money I would get selling it… I could see giving it to a youngster that has the passion to hunt but not the funds for a good pack, but until then, I still love that pack. I couldn’t figure out what I liked more between it and my kifaru, but I sold my whole kifaru system and kept the k2… I know the k4 to me is a standalone, nothing I’ve worn competes, the k4 is pretty much hunting pack perfection for my needs… it’s certainly worth it to me, but I can’t answer that for you.

I will not be testing any other packs until exo drops a new one, then I’m sure I will not be able to help myself. The k4 rocks, and the team at exo does as well, easy to justify to me

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well it depends. I sold my K3 last year because I did not like the belt. I now have a K4 and am happy with it. So, for me, it was enough improvement. I really liked the field adjustable frame hight of the K3 though.

Regarding the bag it is pretty much the same. The zip side pockets are an improvement, the zip stretch pocket is neutral to me, the side stretch pockets are an improvement.

The K4 frame feels a touch better, but not by much. I like the bag to frame attachment better. I like the flex the K4 frame can have better (but it can also be stiff).

The belt is what makes the upgrade worth it though. If someone likes their K3 belt, I would say an upgrade is far from needed.

Edit: I see you ordered a K4, I think it was a good choice for you.

I had major slippage problems with my K3. I stuffed the lumbar pad full of both shims, the stiff foam and the stiffest part of the original foam piece. I then flipped my hip belt upside down. No more slippage.