Jeremiah Johnson

So as every man does, I loved Robert Redford in Jeremiah Johnson. I recently started reading the "truer" story of Johnson in the book "Crow Killer". Man, I think I like this guy even more. One thing that stuck out to me was how intertwined the Native Americans and mountain men were. So much knowledge and skills freely handed out to each other that I think is lost today. It got me wondering if there are any good books written by Native Americans with some of the knowledge on how to hunt / harvest / forage / ect. around?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have this old book "Rocky Mountains: on Scenes, Incidents and
Adventures in The Far West, by Washington Irving.

Digested from the Journal of Captain B.L.E. Bonneville.

Volume 1.

Great Read on Mtn. men and how they interacted and lived
among the Native Americans.

Would love to have Volume 2.

Even if the book is only 50% true..alot of the mountain men mentioned were somewhere between crazy and killers

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Another good read is " The Adventures of the Mountain Men" Edited by Stephen Brennan.

jayhawk

WKR
There aren't any accounts written by American Indians during that time. Their traditions were passed down orally through stories, songs, etc. Sequoyah invented written language for the Cherokee in the 1820's, and to my knowledge that's the only complete written tribal language.

I do remember reading about a missionary who came out from the East and was appalled by the behavior of the white fur trappers because they had become like the "uncivilized" natives. There are several similar accounts regarding the longhunters that predate the mountain men of the Rockies. Those men spent more time around the tribes than they did their own people, so it's no surprise they adopted many of their ways.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
So as every man does, I loved Robert Redford in Jeremiah Johnson. I recently started reading the "truer" story of Johnson in the book "Crow Killer". Man, I think I like this guy even more. One thing that stuck out to me was how intertwined the Native Americans and mountain men were. So much knowledge and skills freely handed out to each other that I think is lost today. It got me wondering if there are any good books written by Native Americans with some of the knowledge on how to hunt / harvest / forage / ect. around?
If I’m not mistaken, the other book Jeremiah Johnson is based on was “Mountain Man” by Vardis Fisher. Really good read.

John

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every one that can't get their head around the fact that it's Hawken, not Hawkins, should be held under water until the bubbles stop.

They're probably the same people that advertise their stuff 'For sell'
Dang Rob-perhaps you did pick a bad year to stop drinking