Javelina Thread

Weldor

WKR
No doubt they are a hoot to shoot. We Instapot them them shred it up and it's ready for enchilladas, taco's ,scrambled eggs.

WKR
They are fun animal to hunt with a bow! Even I can sneak in close to them. Just have to watch the wind. They get a bad rap for their scent gland but their meat is just fine. I have made pastrami out of their back straps, turned hind quarters into ham and countless pounds of chorizo, breakfast and Italian sausage.

BBob

WKR
They get a bad rap for their scent gland
They are no matter what, stinky as shite! Somehow I always forget just how stinky they are until I get another one and then realize I have to carry that fooker and then everything that touched it stinks to high heaven until you wash it :ROFLMAO: Most I’ve ever made out of them is chorizo. Way back we had someone that would do tamales for us. A friend does pretty good sloppy joes out of it.

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I love hunting them. They taste fine, just skin them carefully to pull off the musk gland.

I got a big one this year:

Attachments

• IMG_1790.jpeg
    IMG_1790.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 10
My daughter killed this one. Her first kill. It was an exciting hunt

They are tasty. We smoked this one. Delicious

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 9

cmahoney

WKR
We make cherzio sausage and tamales out of them, very good !

If you have time to post your recipe we would appreciate it. I have my sons in the freezer waiting for me to attempt chorizo.

They have to be one of the best critters for little kids and we appreciate the opportunity New Mexico offers for them.
2e2b42faa2c2697ed616693249b35c34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
The easy button is use AC Legg chorizo. Add the vinegar, it’s what makes it Mexican chorizo. You can add more or less to preference. Cook up a pinch or two, taste and adjust. I add 25% or so of pork shoulder or pork belly to it. Some add additional oil but we never did. We used to do our own spice mix. What made it great was fresh chile powder out of Hatch I’d pick up when I traveled through. I’ll see if I can dig out my old recipe.