Issues with current pack

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, this isn't meant to bash or badmouth or put any kind of shame on this company. Just my experience and I am looking to see if there is something I can do to fix it before I go shopping for another pack system.
I have been running a Kifaru Reckoning for about as long as they have been out and have never loved it under heavy loads. I can never seem to get the load close enough to my back and the stays have always seemed way too long. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had to back out a deer last week with camp and it about crippled me. I tried on my buddy's pack and though heavier it felt much better because of the way the weight sat on my back. Anyone have any ideas?IMG_1141.jpg

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
It was miserable. And yeah it has those, I ended up reconfiguring the pack and that helped but I just couldn't get enough lift out of them. The way they are sewn I couldn't get them any tighter.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
In the first photo the load lifters do seem to be attached. but in the second photo i can see them but they are way to low. what is your torso length and the size of the frame you have, a 24" or 26". and it also looks like the belt could be way to low. you want the middle of the belt on the top of your hip bones.

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
that is what
In the first photo the load lifters do seem to be attached. but in the second photo i can see them but they are way to low. what is your torso length and the size of the frame you have, a 24" or 26". and it also looks like the belt could be way to low. you want the middle of the belt on the top of your hip bones.
That is what I see, lifter is not attached (missing in red)
kifaru.jpg

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is a picture of my last pack out. as you can see the load lifters at more of an angle going up towards the frame to bring it closer to your back.

Attachments

• load lifters.png
    load lifters.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider

I think I bought the large frame, so 26?, I can't remember now, the load lifters in the 2nd photo are as high as they go on the frame without some customization with 550 cord (which was considered.) Is there a way to move the hip belt up?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
These guys don't look too comfortable either. Thank your blessings. But it does appear that your deer is leaning way back as well. That doesn't help. Put the heaviest stuff as close as you can, and then place other items further back and on top. In your second pic it sure appears that your pack and belt are way too low on your body.
_89664691_89664690.jpg

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
These guys don't look too comfortable either. Thank your blessings. But it does appear that your deer is leaning way back as well. That doesn't help. Put the heaviest stuff as close as you can, and then place other items further back and on top.
View attachment 478415
Thats how I felt. And yes the heaviest stuff was high, meat was in between the frame and pack, head and cape were on top/back. I just couldn't seem to get everything situated.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I think I bought the large frame, so 26?, I can't remember now, the load lifters in the 2nd photo are as high as they go on the frame without some customization with 550 cord (which was considered.) Is there a way to move the hip belt up?
We don't sell frames in Med or large. just 24" and 26". I am 5'7" and I use a 24" frame. if you do have a 26" frame it should not be that low. When you put the back on you should be able to put the pack high on the back and get the belt where it should be on your hips. i cant really tell what the load lifters are attached to in the picture. it doesn't look like it is attached to actual frame. I wish you were close to Riverton Wyoming because I could fix it in minutes in person

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
We don't sell frames in Med or large. just 24" and 26". I am 5'7" and I use a 24" frame. if you do have a 26" frame it should not be that low. When you put the back on you should be able to put the pack high on the back and get the belt where it should be on your hips. i cant really tell what the load lifters are attached to in the picture. it doesn't look like it is attached to actual frame. I wish you were close to Riverton Wyoming because I could fix it in minutes in person
Yeah thats a bit of a drive. Haha.
I believe I have the 26" likely based of the recommendation off the website. I am 6' tall. I can take more photos when I am at home of the configuration and see if maybe that would help giving you a better idea what I did wrong. I appreciate you help.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah thats a bit of a drive. Haha.
I believe I have the 26" likely based of the recommendation off the website. I am 6' tall. I can take more photos when I am at home of the configuration and see if maybe that would help giving you a better idea what I did wrong. I appreciate you help.
I bet you do have a 26". yes take as many pictures as you can and PM them to me. ill see if I can walk you through it. and also next week, I can give you call and help you out. I'm 99% sure its just a fit issue. and no problem at all, I'm here to help anyone using our gear!

I didn't read all the other replies.
But in the picture of you crossing the creek,

Your shoulder straps aren't even pulled down.
The chest strap is almost up by your ear, thats why your load lift straps are maxed.

I'd go thru kifaru and exo pack adjust videos on your tube.

Idk if you have short chest straps or long. You need to get everything loosened up. And start over with your fit.
You may need to lengthen your shoulder straps from the frame.
I'm talking the adjustment between the frame and bag so more padded strap is exposed.

Then get your frame on.
Get belt set.
Get shoulder straps set.
Chest strap.
Then snug your load lifters.

Where do you live. Maybe some one is close.

Its also almost show season. If your close id take the pack to a show and have them fit u up

Last edited:
I’ve had a bunch of Kifaru packs over the years and tried to love them because they’re excellent packs, but they just don’t fit me. I would try a pack fitting video and make sure you’re doing it right, but it still may not just fit your body profile. That was my issue and it they would just wreck my back.

Mystery Ranch packs fit me a whole lot better and their load carry packs are simply awesome as is the Y zipper. Look at the Overload for a good all around large pack, they have larger ones too but that’s the one I found to be just right. They’re have a big sale right now too. Just make sure to measure yourself before you order to get the correct yoke size.

ChrisAU

WKR
Yeah I'd say your shoulder straps need a lot of adjusting. Can't even connect your sternum strap in that creek crossing pic. That will pull the load lifter attachment on the straps down your shoulders to the front and pull the pack up and closer to your back.