Issues with current pack

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
The chest strap actually broke on this trip. I'll watch some videos again and see what I missed. Thanks guys.

Jimss

WKR
Definitely an adjustment and fitting......as well as load problem!

I just had a grueling solo bull elk pack job. I have a shorter Kifaru frame and bag that I use while hunting and a longer, taller Kifaru frame with jumbo bag for packing. Having load lifters attached higher on the frame help dramatically! I've seen a few guys that have actually modified their Kifaru frames to increase the load lifter height....hint....hint....KIFARU COMPANY!

If you find yourself wanting to bend your body forward when hauling extreme loads you likely need adjustments. You should be relatively comfortable standing upright with a load rather than feel like you need to bend over. It's pretty easy to see that's happening in your photos Trekking poles definitely help but still it's not a fun experience and is torcher!

On super long pack jobs I often make adjustments while I am packing depending upon whether there is a long up or downhill climb. It's also possible to give your legs vs back and shoulders a rest depending upon these same adjustments.

I would encourage you to watch the Kifaru fitting youtube videos. They will likely solve a lot of your problem. Everyone may be a little different so it's a good idea to make minor adjustments once you get things close. Once you figure out which adjustments do what it definitely gets rid of a lot of frustration.

Another tip, pack your load correctly! It's obvious you had a pile of gear but a lot of guys don't tend to understand you may have the best pack and frame available but if you pack incorrectly it won't help!

It's wise to load your pack so the heaviest items are super close to your back core. It's also a lot better to have your entire load packed close to your back rather than items several feet from your back. Your deer antlers in your first photo look like they are around 2 1/2'+ from your shoulders. That alone is a heck of a lot of torgue on your back and shoulders! That is one reason it's wise to use a tall bag and frame for hefty, bulky loads.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
The chest strap actually broke on this trip. I'll watch some videos again and see what I missed. Thanks guys.
For the chest strap, the main purpose of it is to pull the straps out of your arm pits so you don't get the rubs. So it does provide some lateral support, but it's purpose is to keep the shoulder straps positioned correctly.

If you take the time to get your pack set up for you, it will be make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk