Is this tree suitable for a hang on stand? How would you hunt this spot?

HouseCL

FNG
After living out of state for almost 10 years in a location with no hunting access, I am finally back home and am trying to prepare for whitetail bow hunting this fall on my family’s property. This treeline is at the edge of our property, the neighbors property adjacent to this is a 30ish acre meadow which goes up to a large wooded area that is probably 60ish acres. I believe the deer bed in the woods, then walk over to our property to feed on the crops (beans this year). There is a highline over the property, and there is a gap in the fence line between the highline poles which are on the edge of the property. I put a trail cam in this location which has shown consistent action, including at least 2 mature bucks. The deer pass through here essentially every morning and every evening.

The problem is there isn’t a great tree at this location. There is a group of 2 oaks, the closest of which is 19 yards from the gap in the fence line where the deer pass through. The problem is the closer tree has a large lean in the direction I would want to shoot.

Having never hunted out of a tree stand, I am not sure if this tree is suitable for a hang on stand. I would really prefer a hang on, but would try a saddle if there’s no other way. What would you recommend?

Here are a couple photos. It’s not letting me put them all in the first post so they will be in subsequent comments.

1. Satellite view of the area. You can see the meadow north of the property line and the woods north of that. I circled the hunting location including the two trees to the west and the high line poles to the east of the area I circled

2. A picture of the two trees, photo taken facing north. The tree on the right is the one that is closer to where the deer pass through. The tree to the left is straighter but has no shooting lane as the angle is blocked by the other tree.

3. A photo taken of the two trees, taken facing east towards the high line poles that the deer pass through

4. A photo taken from the spot where the deer pass through, facing west back towards the two trees

Do y’all think a hang on stand is feasible in this spot? Is there another way you would hunt this location? There’s not much room for a ground blind.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpeg
    IMG_4689.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 72
what wind(s) do you plan to hunt this stand? Generally for my area an east wind is rare and not consistent. So those trees would get me busted 90% of the time and I would be looking further east. Looks to be a great funnel!

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re going to have a hard time staying hidden in those trees once the leaves fall in later season. But if you think it’s the best option I would give it a shot. Try and draw back on a couple does during early season for practice. Not hard to move a hang on stand if you don’t like it

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
That tree has way better cover than most trees I hunt out of. I say set your stand and maybe add some cut oak brush to the stand for added cover. As long as you hunt it with the right wind I'd think you should have a good spot.

Macintosh

WKR
Obviously wind could be an issue, but as far as the mechanics, you can get a stand in those trees with minimal issue—nearly every stand out there has adjustable lean front/back, plus you get a little leeway L/R as well, for exactly this scenario. Generally its way easier if you are on the upper side of a leaning tree, so if the tree is leaning toward your shot direction you may end up hunting out of it as if it were a saddle anyway…in which case cover is a non-issue since you can hide behind the tree.
Is that tree on your property boundary? Guess my only consideration would be if a hit deer takes off across the boundary.

OP
H

HouseCL

FNG
what wind(s) do you plan to hunt this stand? Generally for my area an east wind is rare and not consistent. So those trees would get me busted 90% of the time and I would be looking further east. Looks to be a great funnel!
Thanks, the wind is not something that I really even thought about. I will have to check the prevailing wind direction but agree east wind is unlikely, unfortunately. There is another tree (that is nice and straight, would be much easier to hang a stand) to the east of the funnel location about 30ish yards, so maybe that would be a better location.

OP
H

HouseCL

FNG
Obviously wind could be an issue, but as far as the mechanics, you can get a stand in those trees with minimal issue—nearly every stand out there has adjustable lean front/back, plus you get a little leeway L/R as well, for exactly this scenario. Generally its way easier if you are on the upper side of a leaning tree, so if the tree is leaning toward your shot direction you may end up hunting out of it as if it were a saddle anyway…in which case cover is a non-issue since you can hide behind the tree.
Is that tree on your property boundary? Guess my only consideration would be if a hit deer takes off across the boundary.
Thanks for the advice, I will just have to try and hang a stand and see how it sets up. The tree is on our side of the property line. Agree a hit deer would take off across the boundary and head into the wooded area. From my understanding, the state law permits tracking hit animals onto private property so it should be fine but its always nice to give the property owners a heads up I guess.

Thanks, the wind is not something that I really even thought about. I will have to check the prevailing wind direction but agree east wind is unlikely, unfortunately. There is another tree (that is nice and straight, would be much easier to hang a stand) to the east of the funnel location about 30ish yards, so maybe that would be a better location.
One piece of advice I would give for an area like that is to use a decoy during the rut. I like them for open areas/large funnels where calling won’t pull them into archery range.

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted a similar type tree in Texas in December and was bow hunting. I had to be standing up before the deer even got there or they’d bust me. I ended up killing but it wasn’t the best circumstances as a smaller buck snorted at me and I had to let fly at a spooked buck. It’s less than ideal but where there’s a will theirs a way. Are you bow hunting or rifle hunting?

OP
H

HouseCL

FNG
I hunted a similar type tree in Texas in December and was bow hunting. I had to be standing up before the deer even got there or they’d bust me. I ended up killing but it wasn’t the best circumstances as a smaller buck snorted at me and I had to let fly at a spooked buck. It’s less than ideal but where there’s a will theirs a way. Are you bow hunting or rifle hunting?
mostly bow hunting but could definitely use it for rifle as well

br459

FNG
I like that sit up and I’m more worried about the wind. I have less cover in lots of my spots.

WCB

WKR
I'm confused...The deer pass through at the pole but don't expose them selves left or right of the tree "blocking" where they cross.

OP
H

HouseCL

FNG
I'm confused...The deer pass through at the pole but don't expose them selves left or right of the tree "blocking" where they cross.
They pass through at the pole and walk out into the bean field, or along the field edge, which would provide an angle to shoot at that point. At least that’s the plan based on the trail cam photos I’ve gotten. Unless I’m misunderstanding you’re trying to point out

Attachments

• IMG_4679.jpeg
    IMG_4679.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 7

WCB

WKR
They pass through at the pole and walk out into the bean field, or along the field edge, which would provide an angle to shoot at that point. At least that’s the plan based on the trail cam photos I’ve gotten. Unless I’m misunderstanding you’re trying to point out
You stated that the tree on the right blocks the shot if set up in the tree on the left. But if the deer walk out into the field they expose themselves to the other straighter tree on the left. I would set up in the tree on the left and not the tree on the right. Let them move out into the field and shoot them. If one of those lower branches on the right block the lane cut it off or just let them clear out into the field. I'd set up in the tree like pictured below. Or higher if you can get above those splits. But this will give you good background as you have the branches behind you. Also, if you see the deer coming you can get ready as they cross behind the tree in front of you. IMO the tree on the right leans too much. I have sat in trees like that when no other options were around but you have one just yards away.

If the deer have a tendency to get in the field and turn away and work the edge way from you. Simply pound two or 3 fence posts in with a wire stretched between them forcing them out into the field. Just take it out before harvest. Easiest would be electric fence poles...step them into the ground and just string twin between them. I've done this and it work great.

Or, build a nice natural brush blind between the trees and ghillie suit up. With the natural weed cover blocking the front...you could probably just fill in the background a little and be good to go...less is more many times.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 4