Is there any video or evidence in general that a heavier projectile will penetrate deeper?

Elite

WKR
I am possibly looking to switch from a 30 cal shooting 180s and I have been trying to find anything that proves this.

I know sectional density comes into play as well and from the videos I have watched it seems like the faster 7mm/6.5mm bullets penetrate deeper into ballistic gel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
All depends on speed, and with speed if the bullet can keep itself together.

I am sure the rifle ballistic guys can get in depth on this. I tend to look at momentum as basic physics.
Shoot a Ping-Pong ball at a block of Styrofoam at 250 fps
Now shoot a steel ball bearing at the same block at 250 fps

H80Hunter

WKR
Whenever people use this example it’s always like a ping pong ball vs something 50 times heavier (or more)…

In reality a 180 grain bullet is only 20% heavier than a 150 so it’s likely to me you’d have to shoot a lot of animals to see a difference

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Whenever people use this example it’s always like a ping pong ball vs something 50 times heavier (or more)…

In reality a 180 grain bullet is only 20% heavier than a 150 so it’s likely to me you’d have to shoot a lot of animals to see a difference

velocity and bullet construction are the variables, but yes higher SD is beneficial to penetration all others being equal.

I agree with this. But when you watch the videos the higher speed of the 150 vs the 180 the difference in depth is marginal at best

Wrench

WKR
There's SO MUCH more to this than just weight.

Jacket thickness and hardness.

Meplat opening.

Core harness and bonding.

Core depth from meplat.....probably 80 more things...

Then the numbers can go to work.

Imagine a 150gr pointed solid, flat point solid, partition type and match bullet.

All the same weight and diameter. All roughly the same entrance velocity at short range but exponentially different results. Stretch it out and sans the pointed solid they'll all out perform each other at their prime velocity window.

Ok then a 500 grain arrow vs a 700 grain arrow.....

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
There's SO MUCH more to this than just weight.

Jacket thickness and hardness.

Meplat opening.

Core harness and bonding.

Core depth from meplat.....probably 80 more things...

Then the numbers can go to work.

Imagine a 150gr pointed solid, flat point solid, partition type and match bullet.

All the same weight and diameter. All roughly the same entrance velocity at short range but exponentially different results. Stretch it out and sans the pointed solid they'll all out perform each other at their prime velocity window.

Sorry I should’ve been more clear. I was referring to the exact same bullet used as a test.

BigNate

WKR
It isn't just bullet weight, but bullets of equal construction, out of the same cartridge, the heavier one has more mass so a higher sectional density, and it will penetrate deeper.

Bullet choice is probably the most important part of deciding what to use.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
It isn't just bullet weight, but bullets of equal construction, out of the same cartridge, the heavier one has more mass so a higher sectional density, and it will penetrate deeper.

Bullet choice is probably the most important part of deciding what to use.

From what I have seen the faster lighter bullet penetrates deeper

I am possibly looking to switch from a 30 cal shooting 180s and I have been trying to find anything that proves this.

I know sectional density comes into play as well and from the videos I have watched it seems like the faster 7mm/6.5mm bullets penetrate deeper into ballistic gel.

At least in .223/5.56, identically constructed bullets of different weights generally see the heavier ones penetrating deeper. And I don't know why that would be any different for a larger caliber. Here's a couple of videos:

62gr vs 75 AAC black tip

55gr vs 62gr vs 75gr black tip

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
the more energy something has, the harder it is to stop it.

but what happens when the bullet starts to come apart is something completely different.

I dont think an animal will notice if it got hit by a 180gr 30cal bullet, or a 150gr 7mm, 130gr 6.5mm, 77gr .224" in the vitals. the result will be the same.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
My guess is its the length of the bullet, longer bullets have better straight line penetration.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
All my evidence shot from my 45/70 with my homemade cast bullets are laying somewhere in the ground after it past through my deer every year. Please try to remember, ballistic gel, is not animal tissue, no matter what the armchair experts try to tell you. Nothing like real world experience to find your own answers. Furthermore, I think switching from that 30 cal,180 is a bad idea. You would be moving from a tried and true.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
the more energy something has, the harder it is to stop it.

but what happens when the bullet starts to come apart is something completely different.

I dont think an animal will notice if it got hit by a 180gr 30cal bullet, or a 150gr 7mm, 130gr 6.5mm, 77gr .224" in the vitals. the result will be the same.
The bullet has to get there first.

Macintosh

WKR
This isnt voodoo, dont make it that. Velocity and mass both play a part, so you cant look at only one of those things and apply it across the entire arc of a given bullets flight. A lighter bullet pushed faster might penetrate deeper, yes,,,but not always, depends on how much faster and how much lighter. At the same velocity and diameter the heavier one will always penetrate deeper (assuming same construction). And at some point its deep enough and differences stop mattering, unless maybe you are highly focused on ass shots or some such nonsense. And the slower, heavier one is likely to carry higher terminal velocity to a longer range, so at some distance its likely to become the faster one.

I think what you want is something objective comparing same construction, same velocity, with different caliber and bullet weights, so you can isolate the effects of bullet weight and diameter as far as they are predictive of penetration. Is that correct?