Is the Sitka Ambient a must have?

OP
E
Thanks for sharing that. Great actual use case info. -Rufus
You bet... I never hear any talk about that piece so when I bought it I kinda thought I screwed up. I don't think it will cover the wide range of temperatures that the ambient or mdwi, and it's not quite as warm as the heavyweight but since they regularly go on sale.... it might be a decent option for a higher activity piece in the early to mid seasons.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with most of the above, great piece(s) (i have both) and it would be good if everyone posted their dimensions when talking about fit. I am a normally sized 5’10’ 180-185# 47yo with a size 32 arm in shirts and the large fits me perfect, arms are not too ling and the fit at tue bottom is appropriate. A 6’2” 180# dude isnt going to feel the same, nor will a 5’8” 200# dude. Information is helpful on fitment related issues.

Agreed. This really grinds my gears when I’m reading product reviews. One review says “perfect fit!” The next says “shoulders were too tight, returned.” And neither one tells you which size they ordered or what size their bodies are. It makes me want to flip my desk.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

Anyone compared this to the ambient seems decent, USA made 1/2 price ? Probably warmer
How about compared to this one as well? I saw a review on the full zip one on here somewhere.

SITKA ARROWHEAD MLX PULLOVER - MDW​

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Vitals Ventus and vario
Arcteryx Atom LT-
Stone glaciers new cirque lite
Beyond clothing New stretch jacket
Outdoor research has a couple I’m sure
Mountain hardware has some light synthetic puffy stretch jackets that would work
I’ve seen some good reviews on the Ventus Hoodie by outdoor vitals and it’s only 7oz.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider

Anyone compared this to the ambient seems decent, USA made 1/2 price ? Probably warmer
I’ve got Beyond’s A3 Alpha Sweater, and it’s fantastic. I don’t think this L5 existed at the time I ordered the A3, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the L5, particularly if I could get it on sale.

I paid $150 for the A3 on sale in March 2022. I’m 5’11” 190# 34” waist, not lean. I ordered large, and I’d say it’s “fitted” on me. Not a lot of extra room when I zip it up, but it’s not compression fit either. Seems okay for the purpose, but I certainly wouldn’t want to gain an inch in the waist - I wouldn’t be able to zip it up.

The stow away hood on the A3 is gimmicky to me. I can see how it might be useful in a light drizzle, I guess, but I’d rather it weren’t there at all.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve got Beyond’s A3 Alpha Sweater, and it’s fantastic. I don’t think this L5 existed at the time I ordered the A3, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the L5, particularly if I could get it on sale.

I paid $150 for the A3 on sale in March 2022. I’m 5’11” 190# 34” waist, not lean. I ordered large, and I’d say it’s “fitted” on me. Not a lot of extra room when I zip it up, but it’s not compression fit either. Seems okay for the purpose, but I certainly wouldn’t want to gain an inch in the waist - I wouldn’t be able to zip it up.

The stow away hood on the A3 is gimmicky to me. I can see how it might be useful in a light drizzle, I guess, but I’d rather it weren’t there at all.
Sweet I ended up ordering it, seems awesome, I’m the same measurements as you little shorter, I sent it back for a medium just so it was a little more of a mid layer fit, it was more outer layer fit. Only downside I see is the sleeve cuffs not being very tapered and tight, we will see. Face fabric is very similar to the ambient and Kuiu Kenai definitely quite enough for bow hunting.

This looks awesome but does have a 3rd in layer which the ambient does not. This is going to make it heavier and my guess not breath as well but would be warmer.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
This looks awesome but does have a 3rd in layer which the ambient does not. This is going to make it heavier and my guess not breath as well but would be warmer.
Yeah, I suspect you’re right about breathability and wind blocking. That was a major complaint @mtwarden has had about active insulation layers up to this point - sandwiched between layers that don’t breath. That said, I’d suggest that even this is way better than the thick fleece midlayers of yesteryear. It’s really remarkable how well it keeps you comfortable - not too hot, not too cold - while allowing perspiration to move out and evaporate.

In October, I was field dressing a deer on the western face of a mountain in the afternoon with just my baselayer on. When the sun crested below to next mountain and I became shaded, the temp dropped really fast. All I had in my pack was the Beyond A3 because it had been warm the entire day. I was afraid I’d be freezing by butt off for the last 30 mins of cleaning, but the A3 kept me plenty warm. On the all-downhill hike out, I also didn’t overheat.

Last edited:
Just as a point, i wore (and plan to wear again) my ambient hoody while skiing under a North face shell. It did remarkable keeping me warm and moving moisture. I typically ski and sweat which causes some
Chill on the lifts as i am wet but inactive.
With the ambient, i did not notice this near as much. Wore a base layer typically a SG helio or cabelas grid base, then ambient, and then shell. This shell was a heavier duty shell, not your light weight spring shell, part of the north face tri layer system they sell with thermoball or other mid layers. Worked really well moving moisture under a heavy waterproof shell which the “sold as” midlayer did not perform near as well.

Just my 2 cents

OP
E
Yeah, I suspect you’re right about breathability and wind blocking. That was a major complaint @mtwarden has had about active insulation layers up to this point - sandwiched between layers that don’t breath. That said, I’d suggest that even this is way better than the thick fleece midlayers of yesteryear. It’s really remarkable how well it keeps you comfortable - not too hot, not too cold - while allowing perspiration to move out and evaporate.

In October, I was field dressing a deer on the western face of a mountain in the afternoon with just my baselayer on. When the sun crested below to next mountain and I became shaded, the temp dropped really fast. All I had in my pack was the Beyond A3 because it had been warm the entire day. I was afraid I’d be freezing by butt of for the last 30 mins of cleaning, but the A3 kept me plenty warm. On the all-downhill hike out, I also didn’t overheat.
That's a high quality experience in that piece of gear. How is the durability?

OP
E
Just as a point, i wore (and plan to wear again) my ambient hoody while skiing under a North face shell. It did remarkable keeping me warm and moving moisture. I typically ski and sweat which causes some
Chill on the lifts as i am wet but inactive.
With the ambient, i did not notice this near as much. Wore a base layer typically a SG helio or cabelas grid base, then ambient, and then shell. This shell was a heavier duty shell, not your light weight spring shell, part of the north face tri layer system they sell with thermoball or other mid layers. Worked really well moving moisture under a heavy waterproof shell which the “sold as” midlayer did not perform near as well.

Just my 2 cents
I cant wait to try it skiing snowshoeing

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
That's a high quality experience in that piece of gear. How is the durability?
The face fabric on the A3 is pretty thin - probably to help it breathe. I’d put a shell over it if I needed to bust brush. I’m sure the L5 would be better in that regard, but the L5 looks like a more traditional softshell with a durable exterior fabric.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
The face fabric on the A3 is pretty thin - probably to help it breathe. I’d put a shell over it if I needed to bust brush. I’m sure the L5 would be better in that regard, but the L5 looks like a more traditional softshell with a durable exterior fabric.
I've used my A3 for 3 seasons now and the only issues I've had with it is that it's starting to show some wear/pilling in areas around my pack belt. Great in cold weather and helps keep the cold out even when drenched with sweat. Since it's a solid I can even wear it around town without standing out (I have it in gray).

That being said I picked up an OR Vigor Plus Hoodie and feel like the Alpha Direct will be exactly the upgrade needed to help with that bit of moisture when moving.

tak

WKR
I bought the MDWI last night based on your review of the piece, the fact that it came in multicam, and it was on sale for less than an ambient. I can't imagine the 30d being less durable than 20d, and since I can be hard on gear I'm hoping it holds up. I'm still a sucker for fleece due to the Comfort and longevity of it, and I'm certain I'll end up with more mid layers.... but I'm really excited

Have you been using it yet?

What was the sale price you found on the ambient? I haven't seen that locally, I'd like to try it on. I'm a medium, but worry about sleeves being too short.

OP
E

What was the sale price you found on the ambient? I haven't seen that locally, I'd like to try it on. I'm a medium, but worry about sleeves being too short.
The sale wasn't that amazing of a price- 245$. What sold me was that the mdwi has a 30d face fabric, a hood pockets and full zip which is basically all of the things I wanted. Oh and it's multicam and I'm a sucker for multicam. I was nervous buying it without touching it since I'm a guy who wants to see something in person. It arrived promptly, I put it on and I haven't taken it off since.

I have taken the dogs running in it, went skiing, worked out in the garage gym at 20% with it. I have been wearing it a ton and to be honest, I should have had it sooner. I've been looking at the ambient and kelvin active hoody forever and just never pulled the trigger.

I don't know if it will hold up for 10 years but I'm genuinely impressed with it so far

OP
E

And in regards to the fit of mdwi- fits just like my traverse cold weather in xl. I'm an xl I all sitka tops except the core lw hoody and the core short sleeve t.

The arms on the mdwi seemed be longer than the Ambient I tried on.

OP
E
I stumbled into a deal on an aerolite jacket in subalpine. A shop back home had a returned one in my size on sale with no tag for 150. I thought that was cheap enough to buy it and convince myself that I needed another puffy.

Hi I'm Eric and I'm a gear whore.

I was weirded out by the thought of the MDWI or ambient under a puffy, but it just works better than I thought.

I took the dogs on a long walk this morning at 10 degrees. Had the mdwi on under the aerolite and I was warm but not uncomfortable or sweating a ton. Sat still for about 15 min at the half way point to let the dogs sniff and play and didn't even feel cool from sitting. It makes me wonder how this will do for late season deer hunting where I trudge in a long ways in the snow, hang my stand and then sit for a couple hours.

I might need to add my traverse hoody to the mix for my next coyote hunt just to test it our. Hike in just the mdwi or the mdwi and aerolite and then throw on the traverse. I'm not sure how the mdwi insulation will do if it gets compressed under the traverse but I'm curious