Is my 30-06 all I need?

I offer that information as a caveat, not an explanation. I know some people consider factory Tikka barrels slow, so I provide that info up front in case it’s interesting to others.

The Hodgdon site lists their max at 59 gr pushing a 175 Sierra at 2842 fps. I worked up to max and was popping primers, so I backed down to 58.0 and currently don’t see any pressure signs, but I’m sure I’m at the high end. I’m using a Caldwell shoot through and confirming out to 550 as best as my abilities will allow. The only thing I’m absolutely certain of is that other people’s mileage will vary. Do your own load dev and never blindly copy a recipe from a single book or some stranger on the internet.
For the OP's benefit, that 2842 is out of a 24" barrel, so out of an 18", a guy "should" be looking at around 2692 MV. Looking at the Hornady H4350 data for 176-180gr bullets (including the ELDX), they're calling 54.3 max at 2650 MV in a 23.75" barrel, so approximately 2500 MV out of an 18". I'm not sure bumping up 3.7 grains of powder gets you to 2850, but if you're able to do so without pressure that's awesome.

30-06 is a great handloaders cartridge. I had aa 22" barrel 30-06 Tikka T3x Superlite shooting a 130 grain Barnes TTSK 3250 FPS. Damn screamer with lighter recoil.

BjornF16

WKR
I’m happy with the 30-06 but would I benefit from a caliber change in order to learn and effectively hunt at that range?
Get a Tikka .223 in 1:8” twist and use that for practice. Shoot both guns in a range session with the emphasis on the .223.

You’ll save money on ammo while getting more ammo down range.

Maverick1

WKR
So, I currently shoot a suppressed (Dead Air Nomad LT) Tikka T3X 30-06. I’ve had the barrel cut down to 20”. I’m shooting 150gr Hornady Superformance SST. I have it zeroed at 200yds. Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 on Leupold Backcountry rings)

So here’s the situation, I want to start shooting/hunting at longer distances. Probably max 600yds (Black bear, elk, whatever I get lucky enough to hunt). I’m happy with the 30-06 but would I benefit from a caliber change in order to learn and effectively hunt at that range?

I know that going with a heavier bullet will help with efficacy/punch at further distances. But I don’t want to throw good money after bad. And at least save time in chasing the end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Is my 30-06 all I need?”
Yes.

This is false, and noted to be so by SAAMI. Note the bolded italics in the quote further down.

Velocity is a function of pressure over time. However, more than just pressure effects velocity.

Over pressure is about peak pressure, which is achieved very early.

One can have an average higher pressure curve with a lower peak pressure. Changes to the throat, groove diameter, Etc can effect that. Test barrels are cut to the minimum SAAMI specification to ensure the round is safe in every appropriately chambered rifle. This results in higher peak pressure.

What SAAMI says about test barrels (Page 231 https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/206.pdf
"Chamber and bore dimensions of velocity and pressure test barrels shall conform to the dimensions of the chamber and bore at Maximum Material Condition (MMC) for each cartridge as originally introduced. Fabrication tolerances, however, are much reduced.
"It is recognized that changes may be made to cartridge or chamber dimensions in order to improve the velocity-pressure relationship, accuracy or functioning in rifles as production experience indicates. However, none of these changes should be of such nature that they would cause a significant increase in pressure level of a given lot of ammunition.
"No changes shall be made to velocity and pressure barrel dimensions which would result in a reduction of the recorded pressure level of any given lot of ammunition. This would result in the possibility of future lots of ammunition being loaded with increased powder charges, which would cause increased pressure in existing rifles."

Maximum Material Condition = the condition of a feature which contains the maximum amount of material, that is, the smallest hole or largest pin, within the stated limits of size.

Ridding someone for using a load that is 1 gr under max powder charge per the manufacture is silly.
Where did I get after someone for using a charge under max? If I did, it wasn't intentional.

Otherwise, yes, the '06 is all you need.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re comfortable with your 06 stick with it. It’s more then enough to take game at 600 as long as you hit the right spot. Just practice and know your rifle and you’ll do just fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Where did I get after someone for using a charge under max? If I did, it wasn't intentional.

Otherwise, yes, the '06 is all you need.
My apologies, I should have taken more time to look at who you were quoting, I edited out that portion.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
For the OP's benefit, that 2842 is out of a 24" barrel, so out of an 18", a guy "should" be looking at around 2692 MV. Looking at the Hornady H4350 data for 176-180gr bullets (including the ELDX), they're calling 54.3 max at 2650 MV in a 23.75" barrel, so approximately 2500 MV out of an 18". I'm not sure bumping up 3.7 grains of powder gets you to 2850, but if you're able to do so without pressure that's awesome.

I just put together a modern 30-06 last year specifically for the purpose of utilizing modern bullets and running the cartridge to its potential rather than limiting it due to the older rifles I was shooting previously.

With a 20” barrel and a Nomad L suppressor I was getting 2810 fps with 56.5 gr H4350 and the 178 ELD-X. This may be a bit over max in the Hornady book but it is 1 to 2.5 gr under max according to the Hodgdon data. I think the Hornady data may be a bit lighter due to including their CX bullets under the same data.

I just put together a modern 30-06 last year specifically for the purpose of utilizing modern bullets and running the cartridge to its potential rather than limiting it due to the older rifles I was shooting previously.

With a 20” barrel and a Nomad L suppressor I was getting 2810 fps with 56.5 gr H4350 and the 178 ELD-X. This may be a bit over max in the Hornady book but it is 1 to 2.5 gr under max according to the Hodgdon data. I think the Hornady data may be a bit lighter due to including their CX bullets under the same data.

Hit a deer at 25 yards with that load and he's going airborne lol