is it my scope or loads? 98% good, 2% fail @ 100 yards

CamaroMan

FNG
still trying to track wierd results. on about my 3rd reload on these shells, 7mm mag.

im at 58 grains of N160 powder on hornady 150 grain - ive shot about 100 rounds thru both me and the wifes tikka t3 rifles with the vortex scopes that are magnum rated- i loctited and torqued all screws (im an engine builder by trade) so was quite detailed in that.

when we shoot we start at 50 - nail a tight enough group and move out to 100 then finally 200.

Multiple trips - last time went GREAT, till the last two bullets, missed a parking space sign at 50 yards TWICE!

Losing my mind here- is the scope jumping?

Something im missing during reloading?

One thing ive noticed is the recoil on my loads are less than the factory loads ive shot - wondering if thats neck crimp tension or perhaps something else.

Hunting season is coming up and my paranoia is kicking in. I missed a PERFECT side shot at 100 yards by 4+ feet!!! im super worried and not sure where to start.

This year im trying barnes and will hit the desert mabe once before going hunting -

Any ideas?

fwiw i calibrate my scale and have my LEE setup the same for all these loads.. 58 grains is on the entry level for this powder far as ive seen.

Are you capable of shooting that many 7mag rounds at a time?
What about action screws? Barrel in the dovetail like it should be?

Dunno what a magnum rated scope is. I know what a vortex is though. Wouldnt put a hell of alot of faith in that

It’s not the load. You are not missing by that much with any variation in loading. I am sure you could change powder and bullet and still hit a sign at 50 yards if everything else is solid

still trying to track wierd results. on about my 3rd reload on these shells, 7mm mag.

im at 58 grains of N160 powder on hornady 150 grain - ive shot about 100 rounds thru both me and the wifes tikka t3 rifles with the vortex scopes that are magnum rated- i loctited and torqued all screws (im an engine builder by trade) so was quite detailed in that.

when we shoot we start at 50 - nail a tight enough group and move out to 100 then finally 200.

Multiple trips - last time went GREAT, till the last two bullets, missed a parking space sign at 50 yards TWICE!

One thing ive noticed is the recoil on my loads are less than the factory loads ive shot - wondering if thats neck crimp tension or perhaps something else.

Hunting season is coming up and my paranoia is kicking in. I missed a PERFECT side shot at 100 yards by 4+ feet!!! im super worried and not sure where to start.

This year im trying barnes and will hit the desert mabe once before going hunting -

Try another known good scope to see how it holds zero. I'd bet the Vortex broke. Been there too many times.

Action screws torqued to spec
Scope base screws/rings screws all torqued to spec

If those are good and your loads are consistent, then I would try another scope

Are you using a bipod and rear bag?

Was given a m77 to fix that was shooting groups about 8".
The action screws were quite loose and it was actually shooting 3 different groups. You could actually call where the next one was goona land LOL. Shot pretty good after tightening things up.

I'm still leaning towards a bad flinch from shooting a 7mag T3 off a bench that many times

Any ideas?
Ummm are you really shooting at a parking lot sign?

You posted about this same issue in April and you haven't figured it out yet? AND you only plan to shoot one more time before going hunting?

You posted about this same issue in April and you haven't figured it out yet? AND you only plan to shoot one more time before going hunting?
I think you are on to something... Either they don't want to listen or they post on a hunch of sites and don't pay attention to what has been suggested.

Jay

What he posted does not even make sense:

"when we shoot we start at 50 - nail a tight enough group and move out to 100 then finally 200.

Multiple trips - last time went GREAT, till the last two bullets, missed a parking space sign at 50 yards TWICE!"

His last two shots would have been at 200 yards, not at 50

Back