Is hunting still THAT FUN anymore?

I read the Matt Rinella thread below. I am for sure in a very small Camp (I think). I REALLY don't get those who constantly tout recruiting more people. Influencing new people and youth to hunt.

The advance of social media has really drawn people out of the wood work to hunting and shooting. All the Black Rifle, the Rogan followers. I am a Penn State wrestling fan. Been watching Bo Nickal for a decade. Now he's a hunter and aspring Archer. It's cool people are loving it. But there isn't enough to go around.

I met with many members of the Natl Park Service, BLM and USFS as part of my job over the year. Their stats show public land use up over 79% in the last few Covid years. River floats are permit and lottery. Accessing many National Parks is now on a Draw or Application system. People are simply overruning everything. This is a good thing and we should be the conduit to bring new, and more people into the "outdoors".

The season has just started. Soooooo many UTVs in Idaho. You'd be glassing out for a few miles and see a dirt trail cross your optics. The buzz of motors. The towns decended upon with trailer after trailer pulling Scoots, Booze, Coolers, etc.

Hunting Montana and literally getting in a foot race to sign in to the Type 1 box? Racing to get your rifle and pack on to quick step before the other guys park at the corner of the blue State chunk?

Shit is really old to me. But I'm old.

Even the local hunting I do behind gates and walk in under the moon or headlamp. Sure as schitt....you'll have a UTV buzzing the roads by sun up. And all day long after that.

I've intentionally changed my passion and pursuit. I Waterfowl hunt a lot. But there's still a race to launch a boat first at 0300. A truck race across the prairie to get to the waterhole and set up first. Gettign sauced up in your waders slogging across the marsh to get on the X as another headlamp is doing the same thing. Just zero fun anymore.

Like the dude who posted that he hoofed in several miles into what was listed as non motorized entry, and has a dude blow by him on a dirt bike. That's "FUN"?

I really haven't had a solid hunt experience that was what I deem quality in some time. Think my outlook has really changed. Think I am going to move into applying for some of the very limited draws across a few states to provide (hopefully) a much better and limited experience......and just skip the BS.

Last edited:
OP
J
You were one of the poster in the Rinella thread touting that. I kinda disagree. But I can see your kid, my kid, whatever....who doesn't want to see them smile and succeed? It's a cool thing.

Just isn't enough to go around is my bitch.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I love hunting and am taking my nephew out on private land, as I hate the
hassle of avoiding the orange pumpkin and the locals that think they need to mess with hunter from other places
and I am not happy shooting a 4yo 3 point mulie for the sake of blood
so Montana & idaho are off the list till they Get a management plan

Reactions: gav
Lost interest in hunting for a while. Kinda starting to get back into it again though.

Local area is OTC tags for deer and elk. Yes the popular areas are a zoo. I avoid those areas, and generally dont see many people.

Reactions: gav

CorbLand

WKR
One thing that I am learning is if you let everything around you dictate your level of fun/success, your in for a bad time.

Like you though, it is getting harder to go with more and more people. I use to archery hunt a spot for deer and you may see one maybe two more people in there and they generally were passing by to go deeper. I went there opening morning this year and there were 11 people in that area. You couldnt move without running into people and the deer were blown out by 730 in the morning.

I am starting to do more waterfowl as it doesn't seem to be as popular here and do have access to more private land to hunt for birds.

For big game, more than too many people, I find a lack of reliable friends/hunting partners is far worse than the number of people. At least for me.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You were one of the poster in the Rinella thread touting that. I kinda disagree. But I can see your kid, my kid, whatever....who doesn't want to see them smile and succeed? It's a cool thing.

Just isn't enough to go around is my bitch.
If our kids don't share our passion for hunting, who will continue to advocate for it? I want my kids and grandkids to have the opportunity to hunt and fish as I have. Yes, I know it won't be the same, just like my experiences will never be just like my Grandpa's.

Geewhiz

WKR
I read the Matt Rinella thread below. I am for sure in a very small Camp (I think). I REALLY don't get those who constantly tout recruiting more people. Influencing new people and youth to hunt.

The advance of social media has really drawn people out of the wood work to hunting and shooting. All the Black Rifle, the Rogan followers. I am a Penn State wrestling fan. Been watching Bo Nickal for a decade. Now he's a hunter and aspring Archer. It's cool people are loving it. But there isn't enough to go around.

I met with many members of the Natl Park Service, BLM and USFS as part of my job over the year. Their stats show public land use up over 79% in the last few Covid years. River floats are permit and lottery. Accessing many National Parks is now on a Draw or Application system. People are simply overruning everything. This is a good thing and we should be the conduit to bring new, and more people into the "outdoors".

The season has just started. Soooooo many UTVs in Idaho. You'd be glassing out for a few miles and see a dirt trail cross your optics. The buzz of motors. The towns decended upon with trailer after trailer pulling Scoots, Booze, Coolers, etc.

Hunting Montana and literally getting in a foot race to sign in to the Type 1 box? Racing to get your rifle and pack on to quick step before the other guys park at the corner of the blue State chunk?

Shit is really old to me. But I'm old.

Even the local hunting I do behind gates and walk in under the moon or headlamp. Sure as schitt....you'll have a UTV buzzing the roads by sun up. And all day long after that.

I've intentionally changed my passion and pursuit. I Waterfowl hunt a lot. But there's still a race to launch a boat first at 0300. A truck race across the prairie to get to the waterhole and set up first. Gettign sauced up in your waders slogging across the marsh to get on the X as another headlamp is doing the same thing. Just zero fun anymore.

Like the dude who posted that he hoofed in several miles into what was listed as non motorized entry, and has a dude blow by him on a dirt bike. That's "FUN"?

I really haven't had a solid hunt experience that was what I deem quality in some time. Think my outlook has really changed. Think I am going to move into applying for some of the very limited draws across a few states to provide (hopefully) a much better and limited experience......and just skip the BS.
What you're saying resonates clearly with me at times.

Last edited:
The killing is the bonus. Hunting is the exploration of endless miles of jungle, mine camps and old logging roads. The memories of places I have been over the years and the discovery of things I have never seen before. I guess that is why I continue even after my tags are filled.

I guess I am most turned off by the egos and bragging rights of the kill.

Maybe hunt back east on public land. I live in the Alleghenies and the NFs and WMAs near me are hunted and explored less than 30 years ago. Of course the feds don't manage the forest as well. But there is still solitude and decent hunting to be had for those that put in the steps.

Randle

WKR
I love to hunt...My hunting partnerkilled his first archery elk this year ; A spike BULL.
Then last Saturday I called in a 5x5 for my grandson had he shot is first elk.
I find that more fun than shooting one myself these days.
Dont read that as I dont care about filling my tag, it is just more fun to take out the younger generation add see the big wide grins

HookUp

WKR
The hunting industry is growing and the marketing is getting much smarter. Thats the nuts and bolts of whats going on. The hunting industry is in the BILLIONS. Most people have no idea how massive the market it is. All this eat what you kill content is simply a wolf marketing plan in sheep skins, sucks you in and you dump your wallet. Meaters parent company for the win.

I feel most social media influencers use new hunter recruitment as prop to push more products rather than protect the future of hunting. That said, yes is it still fun and there are opportunities out there for great experiences though they are getting trickier to find.