Is hunting still THAT FUN anymore?

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting is a blast for me. During archery in pa on a game land up north I’ll be lucky to see 2 other trucks besides our groups who goes. I think the western draw is in full force.

Simply put, yes. There are challenges but I see that as part of the fun as well, tagging an animal in an area that other people think is too crowded or poor quality is the payoff, and to me that is still fun.

Scorpion

WKR
I’ve only been hunting for about 25 years (western hunting for 10) but I’m having as much as fun as ever. Sure, I eat tag soup as much as anyone at times but I’ve been fortunate to have a lot of success as well.

Rob5589

WKR
Yep, still a good time. People today have short attention spans and give up if not immediately successful. Give it a few years and it'll be mostly the same old guys that have been around forever with a few newbs mixed in.

And just know, it isn't only hunting. It's every outdoor activity that is overrun due to covid boredom. My brothers bitch about all the newb mountain bikers, too.

Hunted OTC archery in CO this year in an area I have never stepped foot in. Set up camp 3 miles from the forest service road. Only saw 2 groups of guys in 8 days of hunting. Called both of them in, and they both came from a LONG way away to our bugles. Being used to public hunting back east, especially waterfowl, I thought that was pretty dang good to only see 2 groups of guys in 8 days. We were into elk most of the days too. Did I get lucky only seeing a couple groups or would you westerners still consider this being “too crowded”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about this more lately. I despise crowds when hunting. I like to hunt for the solitude and that is getting more rare every year. I have been saying lately that I am so glad that I am closer to the end of my hunting days than the beginning. The future of hunting is not looking so good to me.

KurtR

WKR
Fun as ever. I dont even need to shoot i just want to watch my dog work and to see people who never new a dog could do things like that. I dont race to boat ramps a couple guys got permission a few weeks ago before us and they invited us and we had a banger and now made new friends we can scout bigger and get more permission . I can deer hunt right by my house but didnt even get a tag this year i will help my kid get his. While i might not have all the conveniences of big citys i can hunt and not deal with all the bs. Dont know if i will elk hunt again as blowing a week of vacation during the migration just isnt worth it to me

I think it was much more fun before all the easy buttons (mapping apps, research tools, gadgets, etc) existed. Hunting deep wasn't as much of a thing because half the guys were scared to get lost before GPS systems and SoS handhelds. It's just so different now. Numerous technological advances that shortcut the processes and make it simple for everyone along with social media being mostly just a bragging board and sales tool. The majority of the hunting community isn't a fine art shared through comradery anymore, It's a pissing match. The public figures in hunting really make me sick. I won't lambast anyone but I personally know a famous outdoor couple that doesn't even eat wild meat yet harvest close to a dozen big game animals per year. I'll continue to teach youth that it's about the pursuit, learning your quarry, investing the time and energy, and enjoying the harvest on your dinner plate.

Ralphie

WKR
Young guys wanting To hunt because they think it’s cool from the interwebs. Really weird.

The whole hunter recruitment deal is mostly just to increase social media and teach you how to hunt and hold your hand to get a tag hero’s sales figures. There is an increase in western hunting not a decrease.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Man I've contemplated that same question for the last few years and at this point, I think it is what you make it. I had an area pretty well figured out and could kill at least a legal buck in there every year, if not a decent one. I'm sure OnX plays a huge part in why that place is now overcrowded and forces deer deeper onto private land. But this year I put my eggs in a different basket and dedicated some time to hunting higher country, had a freakin blast learning and ended up killing what I consider a great buck. Picked a different spot and took my wife for the rifle opener in a VERY popular area (which can get downright dangerous in WA state..), had a trailhead to ourselves and she punched her tag by 11 a.m. Didn't see another piece of orange on the hillsides, but the main forest road could have employed a traffic cop.

Maybe it's just perspective, but I feel like it can still be fun if you're willing to try new things and get out of your comfort zone.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
I’m one of those new guys, but I think it all boils down to perspective and expectations. Having only started hunting in 2020 I have no clue what it was like prior and fully understand the appeal of the fewer people the better.

With that being said, I’ve managed to hunt more often than not on public without running into anyone else once I’m more than 100 yards from a road. And when you do run into someone, communication can go along way.

Hunted a 300 acre WMA for whitetail bow opener this year and there were 22 trucks in the parking lot. I don’t think you could put much more pressure on an area than that.

A good number of us grouped up, went over our plans and effectively everyone got to hunt one of their first or second spots without having to deal with someone walking in on them. Had everyone run in to try and be the first person to the spot, I figure there’d be a lot of ruined hunts.

Same thing with opening day of teal, 6 boats at the marsh by 4:00 AM. Everyone discussed where they were heading and everyone had plenty of space.

I’ve got no plans of staying at the house just because other folks are doing the exact same thing I am.

I wonder if the hunting was better 30 or 40 years ago?

And if there was some % of hunters who felt the same way you do now, back then?
no and yes lol.
hunting 40 years ago was no different to actual hunters. I still had to go in the woods and find the animal. did technology better my hunt in some ways? yes. did it hurt it in others, possibly. it did not change how far I went because we had these unknown things called maps and compasses lol
back then we complained about crowding if there was anyone else around, however what we have today is a bit crazy.
I still enjoy hunting regardless of people, in fact there are times when having all those people swarming make me have a better day. watching alot of people running around is like watching a group of squirrels trying to find a stash lol. sometimes you just need a good laugh.

JustBen

FNG
I haven't killed a big game animal in 3 years. I have had plenty of opportunity. I've seen more game than you could shake a stick at. I'm actually happier with my hunting experiences over the past couple seasons than I've ever been before.

We are the masters of our own destiny, and nobody else is responsible for our enjoyment. Get out there and make the experience what you want it to be.

Rich M

WKR
I wonder if the hunting was better 30 or 40 years ago?

And if there was some % of hunters who felt the same way you do now, back then?
There were a lot less wt deer 30-40 yrs ago, and a lot more places to hunt them.

We did lose hunters then, but not due to being overrun w folks on public. ;)

Hunting in the early 60s in northwest mt. was a challenge to say the least. The FS maintained their trails because they were still part of the fire budget. There weren't many roads and there were fewer 4x4 pickups - korean war surplus or WW II was the source or a few dodge power wagons.

There were big bull elk because after you killed one and had to eat it - the enthusiasm to do that again was minimal. The late 60s took care of that with massive clearcuts and more roads than you would ever like to see. The shoulder seasons wiped out what few elk we had and the bulls were elimonated with the bugling bull rifle season. Calf crops dropped to 10% or less.

You think management is bad now ? - its just a rerun. Add some wolves to finish things off and you have nw Montana 2022.

All that and we still hunted opening day. Hope springs eternal.