Is hunting still THAT FUN anymore?

SDHNTR

WKR
I still love every second, but I think the hunting experience should be earned. The internet has killed the learning curve and it’s just too easy now. Thus, the crowded woods. I miss the barrier to entry back when hunting the west actually took effort to figure out. Now just watch any number of internet whores who will tell you all the shortcuts you need to know.

holder171

FNG
OP, your first problem that needs taken care of is you’re a PSU wrestling fan ;) Signed:Hawkeye wrestling fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe we have already seen the peak in western hunters. Non-resident applications were down in Montana this year. I think that trend will continue.

A lot of the new hunters are younger, and want instant gratification. None of the new hunters I know killed anything this year and a few of them were thinking of getting out of it.

I’m one of those new guys, but I think it all boils down to perspective and expectations. Having only started hunting in 2020 I have no clue what it was like prior and fully understand the appeal of the fewer people the better.

With that being said, I’ve managed to hunt more often than not on public without running into anyone else once I’m more than 100 yards from a road. And when you do run into someone, communication can go along way.

Hunted a 300 acre WMA for whitetail bow opener this year and there were 22 trucks in the parking lot. I don’t think you could put much more pressure on an area than that.

A good number of us grouped up, went over our plans and effectively everyone got to hunt one of their first or second spots without having to deal with someone walking in on them. Had everyone run in to try and be the first person to the spot, I figure there’d be a lot of ruined hunts.

Same thing with opening day of teal, 6 boats at the marsh by 4:00 AM. Everyone discussed where they were heading and everyone had plenty of space.

I’ve got no plans of staying at the house just because other folks are doing the exact same thing I am.
I love to eat wild game, and to challenge myself in ways few people even comprehend. I've been one of the go deep crowd long before it was cool, just because I love the feeling of getting into a basin that very few people have ever seen.

The communication and community spirit part of it makes a big difference. This year I had an outfitter set up a big drop camp in one of my favorite spots. Talking to him at the trailhead made the difference between an opening day bull or getting pissed off competing for a spot. There is huge country out west, and plenty of opportunity if you want to work for it. He had 5 new hunters in his camp, who had never seen an elk other than on TV. Their hospitality made a big difference with a hot cup of coffee and some food when I came through their camp, totally exhausted from packing all night, on the way out with my bull. I was more than happy to give them a few ideas for where to hunt in exchange for that. I heard a shot up by their camp when we were packing the last load out, I hope they got one.

The more people who love hunting, and are willing to protect it, and the wild places that it requires, the better. Is it different then it was when I was younger? Sure, it's harder to get a really premier tag as frequently. But is it harder to get an animal every year? I don't think so, just need to be willing to share the wealth a bit, and celebrate the other guy's success as much as your own.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Change is inevitable but the number of folks will ebb and flow. One thing you can do is pick your spots to avoid crowds. My recent muley hunt was in an area with very few tags awarded and a lot of room to roam. Saw very few people and scored on day 2.

Don’t give up just because the scenarios are changing. Being outdoors still beats bing watching the Kardashians.

The problem isnt more people, the problem is not enough public land - IMHO.

That, and old timers holding on to hundreds of acres of property when they should pass it on to the next gen and go rot in retirement home - kidding :p.

But in all seriousness, the development of or limitations of farm land open to people to hunt is down too. Gotta go somewhere.

Plus, this is likely just a boom which will go bust. People will stop being out hunting one day and we’ll complain then too.

Come to Virginia, the woods are empty. But probably cause Joe Rogan doesnt hunt here :p

Oregon

WKR
Expectations dictate fun of hunting.
I just burnt 9 points on a Wyoming deer hunt with a buddy that had 3 points.
Was it crowded? Yes. Did we see razors everywhere? Yes. Did we BS with guys at camp from all over the US? Yes. Did we eat good? Yes. Did we try and get as far away from people hunting as possible? Nope.
Did we see good bucks? Yes. Did we watch 170" bucks cross roads after 3 razors went by? Yes. Did we shoot great bucks? Nope. Did we shoot mature bucks? Yes.
Absolute blast.

Hunting has and always will be an escape from our day to day routine. If you rely on the internet to tell you what's a good hunt, you got it wrong.

ianpadron

WKR
I got into hunting in my 20s.

It changed my life and filled a void like only hunting can. To me, THESE are the good ol days.

Men are built by God to hunt, and there's more than enough adventure to go around.

I've hunted places in the West with a camp on every turnout, and I've hunted places where I knew there wasn't another human being within 5 miles. Had fun on every single one of those hunts.

The scarcity mindset OP is displaying is what will make hunting a thing of the past.

Lace em up, grab your rifle, and go have fun.

Wrench

WKR
I'd hunt tacos and pizzas if I could. I'm at a point, and have been where I don't fill any emotional need when I kill a bull or buck, but the time alone is incredibly therapeutic for me.
I intentionally set near impossible standards during archery just to justify being in the woods all month and then turn around and kill mediocre bulls as to not break my streak post archeryseason.

I totally understand how the fire dies. My kids don't love it like I do because of the intensity..... so enter bird dog, shotguns, talking, walking and lots of shooting.....that's the emotional hole filler and bonding agent.

WKR
Maybe hunt back east on public land. I live in the Alleghenies and the NFs and WMAs near me are hunted and explored less than 30 years ago. Of course the feds don't manage the forest as well. But there is still solitude and decent hunting to be had for those that put in the steps.
Hunting is a blast for me. During archery in pa on a game land up north I’ll be lucky to see 2 other trucks besides our groups who goes. I think the western draw is in full force.
🤫

I didn't put much into r3, thinking it was mostly a ploy to make money.

Until I was at a F&G public meeting. I asked why isn't bear season open 365, because it is quite obvious we are way over objective, and bears are one of the leading causes of fawn/calf mortality.

Everyone at fish and game agreed if they gave the antis that much traction bear hunting would be out lawed completely and forever before the 1st shot was fired.

Now I give a little more clout to r3, whether it completely f up my immediate plans or not.

Oregon

WKR
Does anyone actually remember when you'd load up the 73 Nova and go hunt on a "deer tag". I'd be in the back seat, Dad and Uncle smoking like trains, camped in a pup tent. Everyone you knew was there.
You just went deer hunting. Had an absolute blast!!!! My first deer gun was a .270 game master pump. You saw people everywhere. Just wave and change directions. But your ass better be on the bottom road by noon or you were walking back to camp!!!
It's suppose to be fun!!!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Does anyone actually remember when you'd load up the 73 Nova and go hunt on a "deer tag". I'd be in the back seat, Dad and Uncle smoking like trains, camped in a pup tent. Everyone you knew was there.
You just went deer hunting. Had an absolute blast!!!! My first deer gun was a .270 game master pump. You saw people everywhere. Just wave and change directions. But your ass better be on the bottom road by noon or you were walking back to camp!!!
It's suppose to be fun!!!
I think you and me must have hunted together.

I don't necessarily see a problem with all the people interested. But I do see a problem with companies pushing the sport with a very limited resource supply to generate more revenue. Acting like the goal is to protect hunting. Maybe it was at one point or with some particular people in the organization but now this business is so big all it is is a business to them. At some point you have to say the resource can't handle this (thinking OTC CO elk).

As far as is it still that fun? Well I think I still get to enjoy some of the best turkey hunting there is to be had, shooting squirrels on the back 40 has never lost it's luster, there are still tags out there that will give you an amazing experience albeit hard to draw but I've been lucky enough to draw one of those tags. So yeah it's still everything it has always been but a little harder to find or get those experiences which is for sure a bummer.

Just smile and try and enjoy life the best you can. I won't ever stop hunting.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm getting a little long in the tooth, but I still enjoy the hunts I go on. The issue is, my friends have either passed away, are suffering from health issues or personal problems, or in a few cases are still working. As the years pass I have fewer friends and family to enjoy the time in the field with, the story telling around the camp fire, the excitement of finally getting that perfect shot to claim your reward for all your effort. Without a doubt, I miss hunting over a bird dog. (As you know I recently lost my last GSP, Axl) It will never be the same without watching them work a field, and watch their excitement when they get to retrieve the bird they worked so hard for. I simply love hunting over a bird dog.