Is elk season undue hardship?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I just got a jury summons in the mail today.

Just curious how many of you if you were planning on hunting locally during those dates would request to be excused?

20190808_105652.jpg

I preplanned trip is reason for excuse. You'll have to call about it, but you'll be fine.

Ace531

FNG
Too bad. Looks like you never received that letter in the mail. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good thing an InReach only takes texts from people you've already communicated with

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Howell81

FNG
dont respond and play dumb to any mail you get from them. Unless its certified they have no proof you received any notice.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I declined their offer one time, and then got another one a few months later at a better time for me. But there's not a single defense attorney in the country that wants me on their jury. I think everybody is guilty of something.....including myself.

wapitibob

WKR
I've received three and every time I told them I was the sole provider for my family and wouldn't be available. They finally quit sending them. I'm sure it helped being self employed.
When they start matching salary they'll get a better cross section of people.

Last edited:

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
I got out of it one November only to get put on federal grand jury 2 months later. 18 month term and almost impossible to get out of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife got summoned last year during a scheduled vacation and deferred. The second date turned out to be during first rifle season. She was selected to be on a jury again. I had to cut my hunt a couple days early to take care of the kids.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
It could be worse, you could be the defendant;) Look at it this way, after this you are good for another couple years. Ryan and I just got one too. I actually enjoy it though, It’s interesting!

SWOHTR

WKR
I got one three years ago, forgot about it and they called. I showed up and was dismissed.

They will likely have a LOT of people there already, so your absence will likely not be missed. But: get excused, don’t just play hookey. Make it so they can’t say “no” to your request (but phrase your request like a statement):

“I am out of state on a family trip we have had planned for x years and is paid for, unable to reschedule and won’t be refunded if missed. Booked it y months ago.”

You could try to throw something in about “providing for family” but that might not be rightly received.

Whatever your reason, be honest, contact them early, and tell them “I am not in the area then.” Don’t wait, call them today and follow up with email.

Netherman

WKR
done respond and play dumb to any mail you get from them. Unless its ceritified they have no proof you received any notice.

I know someone who has rocked this strategy for over 40 years...

My wife called once and got deferred. Her date was moved to our next vacation and they wouldn't let her out of the second one as she had already received a deferral. I'd be careful deferring so early into hunting season. You might get called back during the deer rut.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
My wife got summoned last year during a scheduled vacation and deferred. The second date turned out to be during first rifle season. She was selected to be on a jury again. I had to cut my hunt a couple days early to take care of the kids.

My wife's comment was that I don't want to defer this time and have a bigger trip scheduled next time. I'm probably just gonna weekend warrior it and go do the duty.

It could be worse, you could be the defendant;) Look at it this way, after this you are good for another couple years. Ryan and I just got one too. I actually enjoy it though, It’s interesting!

I've done county jury duty before, I'm kinda excited to see what the Federal system is like. I think I'm pretty good a judging people. In fact, I'm gonna let the attornies know that I can take one look at someone and know if they're guilty or not. Either that or I'll bring a sheepskin and tell them I'll leave it out overnight and if there is dew all around but not on the sheepskin, the person is guilty.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are screwed, Elk season is gone.

Rmauch20

WKR
You never received it. Unless it is certified mail or delivered by a LEO you never got it.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
You never received it. Unless it is certified mail or delivered by a LEO you never got it.
Thats not true, a simple phone call of awareness would suffice, except you can come up with some kinda illness or family emergency, you are on jury duty. which isn't so bad. it could be another OJ simpson kinda case.