Is elk season undue hardship?

Am I the only one who sees this as an excuse from work?

Show up for jury duty, tell them you believe in the death penalty, that you are prejudice, and if a female lawyer is there make a comment about how women shouldn't be allowed into a court room. Do what it takes to ensure you are removed. Then go hunting.

Poser

WKR
I read through the posts and, just so you know, almost all of the above advice is criminal including outright perjury. I’m also guessing that the vast majority of the guys advising you to lie about your system of beliefs would outright lack the fortitude to do so themselves. Just so you know, most courts have heard those same exact sentiments expressed as excuses before and, occasionally, judges make examples of out would be jurors because, most everyone
Is well aware that you are lying.

If everyone took this approach, then we’d have no functioning legal system. Also, sure hope we don’t have to rely on a draft again in the future....

Backyard

WKR
I had the exact same situation 2 yrs ago. I was able (under our Jury Duty rules here) to ask/apply for a onetime only alternate window of time to do my duty and was granted. Read the terms, you may have the same.
The system isn't in place to ruin a jurors life for a month, but to grant a fair trial for all involved. It' a privilege that we are lucky to have by living in a free country.
A lot of men and women fought died to ensure that we keep this also. Just saying...

Rmauch20

WKR
I read through the posts and, just so you know, almost all of the above advice is criminal including outright perjury. I’m also guessing that the vast majority of the guys advising you to lie about your system of beliefs would outright lack the fortitude to do so themselves. Just so you know, most courts have heard those same exact sentiments expressed as excuses before and, occasionally, judges make examples of out would be jurors because, most everyone

If everyone took this approach, then we’d have no functioning legal system. Also, sure hope we don’t have to rely on a draft again in the future....
I have used “I never received twice in the last 15 years and I haven’t been hauled off yet. My time is worth more then jury duty money they pay out. If they start matching my hourly pay we will talk, until find some other sucker.

kiddogy

WKR
here is the problem with this society ……..ME ,ME ,ME !

I believe it is my duty to serve if called . if I must give up a hunt, or a few dollars wages , so be it. there will be others.

I would hope there would be at least a few with same attitude , if , GOD forbid , I were ever on trial.

Rmauch20

WKR
here is the problem with this society ……..ME ,ME ,ME !

I believe it is my duty to serve if called . if I must give up a hunt, or a few dollars wages , so be it. there will be others.

I would hope there would be at least a few with same attitude , if , GOD forbid , I were ever on trial.

A guy only gets so many hunts and family vacations in his life, and next year is not guaranteed for any of us.
If I have to give up a morning for jury selection that comes out to a little over $100 loss for me. To me that is more then a few dollars.

Rikkar

FNG
I wish I would have had an elk hunt excuse when I was summoned! Luckily, the guy plead out and I got to go back to work.

SWOHTR

WKR

Agreed. And I’m not sure how much is invested in this trip for the OP, all I am saying is - give them the facts and make it hard to say “no” to.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I figured I'll clear this up, I'm going to show up(call in to see if I have to show up) as this is part of what makes our society function.

While this covers all of Washington's elk archery season, due to another trip and work/family I was only going to be able to get out the second weekend of the season. I have more invested into an earlier trip and a later trip for deer. If they ask about availability outside of the two weeks, I will inform them of a pre-scheduled trip, taking me out of the area. Honestly, I hope it's quick but unless I get sequestered I'll be hitting the hills on the second weekend of the season.

kiddogy

WKR
A guy only gets so many hunts and family vacations in his life, and next year is not guaranteed for any of us.
If I have to give up a morning for jury selection that comes out to a little over $100 loss for me. To me that is more then a few dollars.
if a 100 dollars is gonna make or break you , then yes it is a hardship and by all means bow out .
a good part of this nation blows a 100 a month on coffee. for most 100,is a drop in the bucket that won't be long missed.

sure giving up a vacation may hurt but it is a very small price to pay for having the greatest legal system the world has ever seen.
or it would/could be, if our jury selection were made up of unselfish people who thought of civic duty over personal gratification.

around here jury duty lasts a month but one generally only has to call in twice during that month and there is seldom a trial that lasts more then a day or two. it is a very minor inconvenience.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the responses to this thread display a shameful lack of respect for civic duty.

I’m unsurprised, but with all the big talk of constitutional originalism flying around lately, a guy might be led to think principles only apply when they’re convenient.

Serve.

Am I the only one who sees this as an excuse from work?

Show up for jury duty, tell them you believe in the death penalty, that you are prejudice, and if a female lawyer is there make a comment about how women shouldn't be allowed into a court room. Do what it takes to ensure you are removed. Then go hunting.

LOL this made me laugh my ass off.

I'd ignore it if there's no proof of receiving it. I get serving the system and all, but let's be honest elk hunting takes priority over jury duty.

My number got picked to report for jury today. First rifle elk opens on Saturday. I hope my hunt won't be limited to just this weekend.

Shrek

WKR
I don’t even need to make anything up to get disqualified from any jury. My honest personal views will get me tossed off any jury. I’d need to lie to get picked. I have called and gotten a deferral so I didn’t need to show up but that got me moved to the first group to be chosen from a month later. I was waiting for jury selection to begin when the guy pleaded guilty to murder. I would have been tossed if they’d have gotten to me.

Out here you can just call and get it moved to a different month. I have been on a couple juries and most are interesting. But no way I am going to miss a planned hunt to be on a jury, Not happening. I did get into a little with a judge one time about being dismissed. I had to teach summer school and there was no way I could be on a jury and teach summer school. I tried to explain this to him and he pretty much came off as a jerk about the whole thing.

But for the most part being on a jury doesn't take money out of my check since I work for the state anyways. If it did it would be hard to give up money to serve on jury duty, You do get to meet some interesting people and it makes you really wondering if you every got in trouble would you trust this group with your life. Not always the sharpest people in the world who make up a jury

LostArra

WKR
I have found federal court is much easier to deal with than local (county). Asking to get out of the duty is the wrong approach. I've asked to be rescheduled from federal court and the clerk had me write a short letter/email and a day later a courier arrived at my office with a notice that I was excused, not even rescheduled.

County court was different. No rescheduling no excuses. They read the roll of all the potential jurors and those who didn't show received a contempt summons which can be worse than just showing up for jury duty. I was excused after one day. Saying you didn't get the jury duty notice is still going to require you showing up for the contempt hearing and it will hold zero water with the judge.

2 ½ hours of waiting in the jury pool before being excused. They are not ready to go to trial today, so my civic duty has been completed for the year.

I considered getting a deferment, but decided not to. Most trials only last a couple days. I would rather risk the chance that I miss a couple days of hunting than something important to my family later on. Luckily, now I won't miss anything. Three cheers for prosecutorial incompetence.