Is a 300 WSM worth buying?

DAD

FNG
I have been in the market for a rifle to use for elk. I have narrowed it down to 300 win mag, 300 WSM, and 7 mag.

The 7 mag and 300 win mag seem to have ammo readily available. I have had a hard time finding 300 WSM ammo and seem limited in my choices when I do find any ammo.

I have came across a good deal on a 300 WSM, but don't want to purchase it if ammo will always be a pain to find.

What are your thoughts?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
300 win mag is the easy button. 7rm is no slouch. I only hunt with a 300 WSM and don't handload. I think it depends on what you really need/want out of the platform. It ticks all the boxes for me. I primarily elk hunt and like the lighter platform. Ammoseek has a better selection than I've seen in a while, and it is getting better. Barnes just became available. If I was starting over I would look hard at the 7mm PRC. That being said, if you're limited to 7 prc factory ammo, Hornady is your only option right now. I haven't seen any other factory.

If you only shoot factory ammo I'd avoid it. No problem if you handload. If you shoot factory and still want one, i'd buy at least a case (200 rd) of whatever ammo you settle on.

Estes640

FNG
Classified Approved
Like above, If shooting factory ammo it would make a lot more sense for either a 7 prc if you want to step up to a long action or a 6.5 prc staying on a short action. Both shooting factory hornady match. Eldm’s are deadly on animals

elkguide

WKR
I have several .300WSMs and several .300WMs. Either is a great choice for elk. If you don't reload then the WM is the obvious choice but if you reload or have a good source for ammo, pick the best deal.
Don't know why but with many choices in the safe, when it comes time to head out elk hunting, I always seem to grab a .300 Win Mag. Did a great job on my elk this fall.

jimh406

WKR
300 WSM ammo is readily available in Western Montana. It's also usually available online. There isn't that much difference between the three.

Just up to you if you want a more common or a more uncommon caliber.

B23

WKR
Even though I may not be a huge fan of the 300 Win mag I don't think it's ever a bad choice and for shooting factory ammo the chances of consistently finding factory ammo for the 300 Winnie are likely much higher then they are for the 300 WSM.

The 7 PRC shooting the 180's at 3000fps is no joke and some pretty stout medicine. When you compare the Hornady 7 PRC 180gr ammo to most other 300 Win mag factory the 7 PRC draws even at about 150yds and slowly pulls away with delivered energy and less drop. Hand loaded the 300 Win excels but with most factory ammo the 7PRC delivers more.

Also, one thing we have to give Hornady credit for, they do a very good job is supporting their cartridge creations. It's unfortunate Hornady isn't who created the WSM because it probably would have been supported, with factory ammo, much better than it has from Winchester.

NSI

WKR
Don't shoot my magnums much anymore, but I have not had trouble finding 300 WSM ammo via ammoseek.com when friends ask.

I like the little fatty. The chamber tolerances and short column are more inherently conducive to accuracy than the long boi's, and I've never had feeding problems. @Unknown Munitions mixed me up a dandy batch of 175 LRX that I hunted with a few years ago before hearing the good word of @Formidilosus and switching to daintier cartridges.

Here's a personal rule from a non-hand-loader, take it for what it's worth. When I buy a gun or barrel, I buy a barrel life's worth (1 BLW) of whatever factory ammo it shoots best. I'm not interested in endless re-zeroing or re-truing my 4DOF profiles whether that's from switching brands or just switching lot numbers. It's an investment to buy 1-2,000 rounds at a time (whatever your BLW value is for your particular cartridge) but it saves money overall. You never get those zeroing and truing rounds back - and that matters at 3 bucks a pop. I'd rather be shooting positionally or stretching my legs with that money.

Best,
-J

KenLee

WKR
I don't hunt elk, but I get the same speed from a wsm as a win mag and the wsm has a 3/4 inch shorter receiver and 3 inch shorter barrel. I have 300 win mags and 300wsm in the same guns and the win mags haven't been out of the safe in 5 years. I just hunt whitetails and pigs.

300 WSM is coming back online again. Couldn’t find it up here in AK for dang near a year, now starting to trickle in again. But, yeah, ever since the virus, everything seems to come and go. Same with 10mm ammo hardcast - hit and miss for anything good quality over 200gr. I still can’t get Buffalo Bore 10mm up here, haven’t seen it for months. Next year, it will be everywhere.
Love my 300 wsm. When ammo is plentiful, just buy extra. But isn’t that the rule with anything?

tdhanses

WKR
I really like the 300wsm but barrel life is its only downside. A 300wm barrel will last twice as long before needing to be rebarreled. Now this only matters if you shoot a lot.

If you don’t shoot a lot and don’t hand load the 300wsm is just fine but make sure you stock up on plenty of ammo when you can.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
the 300 WSM isn't going to do anything more than the 7 RM or 300 WM except you're not going to be able to walk into your local sportsmans or scheels and find 300 WSM on the shelf. you can order 300 WSM alll day long online but i think the bigger question is, how far are you shooting at these elk? i hunt elk and deer in western MT forests. I now leave my 7 mag at home and walk around with a 308. i love my 7 mag but even suppressed it's a cannon and i don't need to burn up all that powder to kill tasty critters. i'm hunting at 350 yards.

most of my friends have dropped down from 30-06 and 270s to .243s. success rates have gone up. go figure.

NSI

WKR
I simply do not understand "being able to pick up rounds anywhere" as an advantage for a hunter shooting at the ranges for which a magnum is necessary.

Having a zero and trued data for one 300WM loading means nothing for your ability to use your 300WM effectively at range with even another lot of that same ammo. If you won't be shooting at ranges where that matters, I don't see why you'd subject yourself to magnum stuff.

-J

davsco

WKR
300 wsm ammo availability and variety has definitely improved in the last couple months. but, i'm not seeing proof make carbon barrels in 300wsm any more?

ElPollo

WKR
I see some 300 wsm ammo trickle out here and there locally, but it’s usually federal fusion of powershok. Both of those are pretty standard cup and core fare with not great BCs. Hornady discontinued their 200 grain ELDx load. If you are not a handloader, prepare to horde the Federal stuff when you see it or plan on paying someone like Unknown Munitions to load better stuff for you. I own a 300 WSM. If you’re not going to load for it and you really need a big mag, you are better off with the longer 300 win mag.