Is a .22 enough for gophers?

If you use a match bb, you can use a bb gun. It is more about shot placement and bb design.

I suggest you read this thread,

I deal with ground hogs here in PA. Bigger animals than gophers by about 2-3x per weight. they tended to soak up 22s that did hit brain, which off hand, at distances of +25 yards was tough, especially since they don’t exactly present a clean target - moving around with lots of fur and neck. I went for body shots and usually they would run off and I expect a lot them died horribly in their dens, but it wasn’t the desired result. I zapped one with a 308 and it was a mess all over the yard. Rigged up a 223 and it is the godilocks round. A decent hit to the head or body will stone them and they die in place and I don’t have to worry about them crawling somewhere and stinking to high hell for a week Under my shed.

.22 segmented ammo to the ear hole works fine on ground hogs here out to 100 yds. Past 100yds I use a 223 with 55grain varmet loads.

You've actually seen a gopher up where you could shoot it?
I would need to narrow down which mounds look freshest and drop mortars until it looks like Paaschendale.

Use a 9mm.
I've heard that round will blow the lungs out of a body,
The gophers won't stand a chance

Back