22LR long range / trainer scope with some hunting

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

So I have an NXS 2.5-10x42 on my 300WM hunting gun. I would like to get a scope for my 22LR and was considering getting another NXS 2.5-10x42 to use as a trainer, hunting, and some long range target shooting.

My concern is while this is an amazing scope for hunting, would it be enough for target shooting with the 22LR? I mean I probably won't be able to reach past 200-300 accurately with the 22LR so I figure 10x should be ok...but then I see people running massive scopes on 22LR for targets and I wonder if I'm making a mistake going small?

Hunting with a massive scope on a 22LR would be not fun...so I'm not sure if the 2.5-20x50 would be better or still a bit cumbersome and unnecessary for the 22LR...

I appreciate any advice you have.

-Alex

I mean I probably won't be able to reach past 200-300 accurately with the 22LR
Shooting at 300 yards with a 22lr will be roughly equivalent (elevation-wise) to shooting past 1200 yards with your 300WM. So you're going to want a scope with a fair bit of elevation travel. Plus for most 22lr scopes you want it to be able to parallax down to 25 yards or closer. The NXS checks both of those boxes but it is second focal plane and the magnification isn't really what most people want for what is considered long-range .22lr shooting.

If you're set on staying in the NF family of scopes then maybe a 4-32x50 F1 NX8 would fit the bill. It has the top end magnification which you can really take advantage of in a 22lr since there's no real recoil. Plus it parallaxes down to 11 yards and the MIL-XT reticle would be well suited to it. The 26 MRAD elevation travel is decent but you can just throw a 20-30 base on the rifle and that'll help that even more if you want. Plus it's first focal plane which a scope for this purpose probably should be.

Once you get it, you should try some NRL22 if there are matches near you. That's what I'll be looking to do sometime in the summer if my current timeline works out.

OP
AFmaryland

AFmaryland

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting at 300 yards with a 22lr will be roughly equivalent (elevation-wise) to shooting past 1200 yards with your 300WM. So you're going to want a scope with a fair bit of elevation travel. Plus for most 22lr scopes you want it to be able to parallax down to 25 yards or closer. The NXS checks both of those boxes but it is second focal plane and the magnification isn't really what most people want for what is considered long-range .22lr shooting.

If you're set on staying in the NF family of scopes then maybe a 4-32x50 F1 NX8 would fit the bill. It has the top end magnification which you can really take advantage of in a 22lr since there's no real recoil. Plus it parallaxes down to 11 yards and the MIL-XT reticle would be well suited to it. The 26 MRAD elevation travel is decent but you can just throw a 20-30 base on the rifle and that'll help that even more if you want. Plus it's first focal plane which a scope for this purpose probably should be.

Once you get it, you should try some NRL22 if there are matches near you. That's what I'll be looking to do sometime in the summer if my current timeline works out.
Thanks for the input!

I was worried the 4-32x50 would make general hunting use a bit difficult with the 22...so I thought maybe the 2.5-20x50 would help though I see some mixed rimfire reviews on it.

I'm not set on the NF family if you have some other suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the input!

I was worried the 4-32x50 would make general hunting use a bit difficult with the 22...so I thought maybe the 2.5-20x50 would help though I see some mixed rimfire reviews on it.

I'm not set on the NF family if you have some other suggestions. I appreciate the help.
I'm only really aware of what scopes guys use for NRL22 rigs, which they very rarely hunt with. I have a rifle set up for NRL22 sort of shooting and then I have a separate Tikka T1X for a lightweight hunting rifle. The 4-32x50 is a very popular scope for big game hunting on here from what I can tell though so it would at least translate well to that if needed. I don't have enough real small-game experience to be able to say whether 4x on the low end (and a FFP reticle which is likely not very visible on low mag) would translate to that, probably badly.

If I had to throw a shot-in-the-dark option that might suit all your purposes well I'd say go with a Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15x44. It has undergone and done well with durability tests and people do say its reticle is one of the most usable ones on low power you can get in a FFP. It still has great elevation travel (29 MIL) and it parallaxes down to 10 yards. Plus on its upper end of magnification you get 5x more than the NXS and it's first focal plane.

Last edited:
I am pretty simple, I just use a NF NXS 1-4x on my 10/22. Most of my “hunting” shots aren’t very far though, 100yds would be the exception and pretty extreme.

Kurts86

WKR
I use a NF SHV 4-14x50 on my rimfire trainer. I wouldn’t hesitate to use a SHV 2.5-10x42 having used mine on centerfire targets to 1,000 yards.

With most 300 yard rimfire setups guys are running 20-30 MOA rails to get more elevation above just turret travel.

It’s already been mentioned but parallax down to 25 yards at a minimum is really the hard rimfire scope requirement I’ve seen cause a scope to not work. This should be a nonissue on the baby nxs.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
You will need at LEAST 2moa targets to make it realistic and fun to train with, so as long as you can see a 6" plate @300yds with your 10x, I'd say you're in great shape.

I have a 12x on mine, and trust me when I say that the bottleneck for long range rimfire is NOT the magnification--its the precision of the rifle.

Axlrod

WKR
I have an NX8 4-32x50 on a CZ 457 w/ Lilja barrel and a SHV 5-20x56 on an Anschutz 1710. These are both SFP scopes, for what I do with them, I prefer the reticle to stay the same size through the magnification range.
I use them for 25 Yd. offhand matches and at silhouette shoots to 200 yds. Also some fun shoots (paper targets) to 300 yds.
For my rimfire shooting I like higher magnification. So depending on light conditions and mirage, In the 25 yd. matches I am between 12-16x. Offhand silhouettes 10-12x and prone 20x or so. For long range paper targets I am close to max depending on mirage.
As was stated above, look for a scope that has 25 yd parallax adj. not all do, and some that say they do, don't.
Also find a scope that has a reticle that will work for what you are doing.

Last edited:
I dont get it, I was being serious. 10x is plenty of magnification for what the OP is wanting to do
Oh I was mainly just making a joke, especially as someone who owns a ridiculously expensive Vudoo. I think at least 18x magnification would be nice for 22lr if he's planning on shooting past 200 especially though.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh I was mainly just making a joke, especially as someone who owns a ridiculously expensive Vudoo. I think at least 18x magnification would be nice for 22lr if he's planning on shooting past 200 especially though.
Gotcha. I guess I find 10x to be perfectly adequate for 1moa+ sized targets. And target size will be more appropriate being 2-5moa for most .22's and ammo out there. So visibility is a nonissue.

I do not think more magnification is bad. But it sounded like OP wanted 10x so I wanted to reinforce that there's nothing wrong with one (and he'll likely appreciate the lighter, smaller scope)

To be clear, I AM also assuming that OP is not shooting a vudoo with 40¢ / shot ammo, but then again I don't consider a $1500 scope for my .22 either ha

Lawnboi

WKR
The 4-32 nx8 would be a nice rimfire scope. Low parralax, plenty of adjustment.

I wouldn’t let the 4-32 magnification bother you. Get the first focal plane nx8 and shoot it at 10x.

Gotcha. I guess I find 10x to be perfectly adequate for 1moa+ sized targets. And target size will be more appropriate being 2-5moa for most .22's and ammo out there.
It'll depend what he wants to do with it. Some of the most rimfire fun you can have is to buy a KYL rack and shoot it at 50 yards. This one below, assuming you use it at 50 yards like most people do, goes from 4MOA to 1/2 MOA.

dster3

FNG
I use a venom 5-25 on my 22 and the only reason I go to 25x is to sight in at 50. Theres a few targets at my local PRS22 match that are out to 300 yards, my scope is always on 12x, no matter at 50 or 300. Only time I go less is when shooting a mover. 10x would be fine.

Ramem7mm

FNG
I recently purchased a CZ 457 installed a 30 MOA rail and installed an ARKEN scope EPL 4 6-24 x 50 FFP and have been able to hit a small steel popper at 300 yards and it also is able to focus down to 50 yards for the KYL rack. Just an FYI with my experience

Macintosh

WKR
10x will work, but wont be ideal depending on what you do at the range—for sure in 22 steel matches we end up shooting at 1moa or 2 moa targets against a busy background, and once they get hit a few times and the oaint wears off they are all but invisible until you zoom in. Higher mag is also nice for the tiny kyl rack targets, etc. No one I shoot 22 matches with uses anything other than 25-30ish power scopes, but ALL of those suck for hunting because the reticles are invisible at low power in the woods. I know it, Ive tried. nrl22+ and prs rimfire is a hoot and great practice so worth trying out before you buy a scope if youre on the fence. I think the maven mentioned above would be a great compromise though, with a reticle that’ll work at low power, and enough “big scope” features to not be left wanting at a match or on the range.