Is a .22 enough for gophers?

Hey what do you guys recommend for a "Buy once cry once" optics set up for gophers ? Budget is unlimited.

Hey what do you guys recommend for a "Buy once cry once" optics set up for gophers ? Budget is unlimited.
Everyone knows you need a Swarovski scope and binos to hunt gophers. Anything else and the lack of clarity will leave you guessing at claw length and unable to determine the length of individual back hairs. This could be there difference between a trophy gopher and just a really good gopher. YMMV

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the .22 will be fine. No it will not and You'll be disappointed. Yes if the range is less than 40-50yds. After that distance you need more reach and to get that you need more gun.

I'll kill lots and lots of them with the .22... now the dumb ones are gone and the range is more like 100yd shots or more.

Last edited:
OP

2ski

WKR
You could possibly get away with judo points but personally I prefer a stout 3:1 single bevel broadhead and an arrow above Ashby's 650gr bone

I heard that the 6.5CM is the only way to go for gophers.
But I heard they were making laws you have to wear a flat bill hat with 4 square inches of hunters orange to legally target gophers with a 6.5.

And I heard Idaho was switching to a draw system on tags for male gophers.

Legend

WKR
It all depends on what your bullets needs are for downrange velocity. Or is it energy?

Alot of guides don't allow anything less than .22. Most say alot are wounded with young kids and that new 17hmr. Makes sense, so much smaller. I personally wouldn't go any less than .22 mag for gophers.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I can confirm .22LR is fine out to 225 yards on prairie dogs, working on confirmation out to 300.
.223 and they don't run afterwards
6.5 and you get good anatomy lessons