Iron will field points worth it?

Jon_G

WKR
Are they worth the cost? More importantly, is it OK to shoot two different style/brands of field points and expect them to behave the same? Let me further explain. I wanted to give the iron will field points a try but I'd like to not buy 12. That is the number of arrows I have. If I wanted all my 12 arrows to obviously shoot the same would I be ok just purchasing 6 IW field points? I should mention that the easton match grade field points are $30 for 12 shipping included. The iron wills are $55.

Th e only advantage of the IW field point is they fit the impact collar well. So technically no they are not “worth it” in the strictest sense.

All field points should fly the same even if different shape. If they don’t, you have some serious problems 😂!

TheViking

WKR
Th e only advantage of the IW field point is they fit the impact collar well. So technically no they are not “worth it” in the strictest sense.

All field points should fly the same even if different shape. If they don’t, you have some serious problems !

Other 5/16” points will fit them fine too.

They are hardened steel and a lot stronger than cheapos. I have bent some cheap ones before, IWs are definitely tougher.

They also have the ‘bulb’ on them. Which A) helps them not go as far into targets, and B) mimics the flights of broadheads so your drag is similar.

Is the cost worth it to you? That’s your call.

nphunter

WKR
Lots of good field points out there for cheap, I’ve been shooting Amazon stainless steel ones with great success.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR

All field points should fly the same even if different shape. If they don’t, you have some serious problems 😂!
LOL thanks. I'm completely new to archery so I have a whole world ahead of me to learn about.

D S 319

WKR
i use gold tips the variance in weights is closer to each other. I imagine IW is even tighter.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you're shooting bricks I would never pay that much for field points. Cheap field points fly the same and you can toss them if they get bent. I do like the IW broadheads though.

They're not worth $55/dozen to me (neither are the $30/dozen Eastons). I can't imagine that IW's "optimized to match broadhead flight" claim actually holds much water in practice.

Reactions: Zac

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting for 18 years. Not once have I worried about my field points or where they come from. I probably shoot Gold Tip mostly but I know not all of them match and it's never been an issue. I just make sure my grains match and let'r rip.

Trial153

WKR
It’s a one and done buy. Isn’t like they are disposable. Great American made product from a great American company. So yea I would buy em

Trial153

WKR
Be pretty hard to make broadhead to match the weight to length ratio and shape of a field point. However making a field point that closely resembles the length to weight ratio of the broad head is way more practical, add to a shape that creates as similar as can be air displacement …and it makes sense.

dlee56

WKR
I've used IW field points during my transition to trad the last 2 years and im glad I went with them. I've had my fair share of trad flags and rock hits and I've never bent one or scraped any metal off. I have had a cheaper field point bend on a rock, bend my collar and crack my arrow shaft and so I'd definitely recommend it if you're using expensive components.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Other 5/16” points will fit them fine too.

They are hardened steel and a lot stronger than cheapos. I have bent some cheap ones before, IWs are definitely tougher.

They also have the ‘bulb’ on them. Which A) helps them not go as far into targets, and B) mimics the flights of broadheads so your drag is similar.

Is the cost worth it to you? That’s your call.
Great answer. Thanks a lot for your input!

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I've used IW field points during my transition to trad the last 2 years and im glad I went with them. I've had my fair share of trad flags and rock hits and I've never bent one or scraped any metal off. I have had a cheaper field point bend on a rock, bend my collar and crack my arrow shaft and so I'd definitely recommend it if you're using expensive components.
Your response reminds me of the saying "buy one cry once" hehe. I went ahead and bought all 12. If they don't work out for me I'll simply never buy them again. If they outlast their worth than it's win. Thanks so much for your input.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Your response reminds me of the saying "buy one cry once" hehe. I went ahead and bought all 12. If they don't work out for me I'll simply never buy them again. If they outlast their worth than it's win. Thanks so much for your input.
It's a* win

The problem I had with them came during broadhead tuning they are indeed a hardened steel and will break ironw will blades if you hit them. The cheaper field points would just be ruined and not hurt the iron will blade

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac
OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
The problem I had with them came during broadhead tuning they are indeed a hardened steel and will break ironw will blades if you hit them. The cheaper field points would just be ruined and not hurt the iron will blade

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Interesting! I will have to be very careful but it may be difficult. If that happens, however, I'll have to contact IW about it. I just hope it doesn't happen right before a big hunt!