Inguinal Hernia & surgery?

ZDR

WKR
I just got one after a hard workout while doing lunges and I felt a twinge in my groin. Kept working out and then when I got in the shower I noticed a large lump in my lower abdomen/pubic area. Primary care diagnosed it as an Inguinal hernia so now waiting for a consult to see what to do about it.
I have an Archery deer hunt in Jan. and am doing a 7 day backpack elkhunt in Sept (not hunting, but helping a friend). so...Curious to my fellow old guys who have had deal with Inguinal Hernias, surgery, recovery times etc? I'm 65, in good shape but am wondering about recovery times, how long before you were back to your previous routines, any long term effects if any, etc...

BBob

WKR
I popped mine during a deadlift session. I can’t remember exact recovery times but it went by pretty quick. Pretty much followed the weight lift restrictions if I recall. Once cleared with no restrictions I did whatever. There was discomfort for awhile but I can’t remember for how long. There was also a fair bit of scar tissue tearing discomfort here and there for quite some time mby even a couple of years after the fact. I think if you were a typical non active human you might not get that but if you are really active you just might. I left the type of surgery open to the surgeon and he chose to open it up instead of the scope. He said if I had a double he would use the scope to minimize the holes he would have to put in me but try as we might I just had a single. That was about 8-10 years ago so I don’t know if things might have changed that would sway that.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Thanks! Thats encouraging to hear. I'm reading about the laparoscopic versus standard surgery so will be curious as to what they recommend. I also see a lot of folks get a mesh installed as part of the standard process and that just doesnt sound good...

BBob

WKR
I also see a lot of folks get a mesh installed as part of the standard process and that just doesnt sound good...
I ended up with mesh. I was concerned over the fact that there were the big settlements over a previous mesh. I think that was a Gore product? I looked into it a fair bit and the surgeon (and the research) said the new mesh wasn’t going to be a problem. So far so good but time will tell. He also said for my super active lifestyle he would recommended the reinforcement mesh. He said with the mesh it would be near impossible to blow out that side again.

To add to previous: Surgeon opened it up because he said it would be easier access to work on it but there might be more recovery discomfort or mby a slightly longer recovery. I let him choose and do his thing. Wasn’t a problem.

Reactions: ZDR

Bucky44

FNG
I just got one after a hard workout while doing lunges and I felt a twinge in my groin. Kept working out and then when I got in the shower I noticed a large lump in my lower abdomen/pubic area. Primary care diagnosed it as an Inguinal hernia so now waiting for a consult to see what to do about it.
I have an Archery deer hunt in Jan. and am doing a 7 day backpack elkhunt in Sept (not hunting, but helping a friend). so...Curious to my fellow old guys who have had deal with Inguinal Hernias, surgery, recovery times etc? I'm 65, in good shape but am wondering about recovery times, how long before you were back to your previous routines, any long term effects if any, etc..
Absolutely robotic with mesh, my recovery time was almost painless, was moving well after a few days.

I had mine repaired a few months ago. Just my opinion don’t let it go too long. I waited over 10 years so my recovery was a little longer and slower than I anticipated. After about 8 weeks I felt normal again.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
I had mine repaired a few months ago. Just my opinion don’t let it go too long. I waited over 10 years so my recovery was a little longer and slower than I anticipated. After about 8 weeks I felt normal again.
Ya, I am hoping to get this resolved asap

Loo.wii

WKR
I had one when I was 21.
The army fixed it right up.
In a month I was doing most things that didn’t require a good strong push.

DO SCOPE ONLY!!! Don't let them cut you old school. My recovery was a bitch. My buddy scoped both sides at once and was out for a walk 3 days later. I was bent over like a 100 year old man for 2 weeks. Long recovery. had pain straining anything for a year.
I regret not researching and doing robot or arthroscopic.

Billinsd

WKR
I got my left a few years ago with mesh. It's fine now. Right side is starting to go out. My surgeon said lots of lawsuits over the mesh. It's been fine for me.

Bluefish

WKR
Still in recovery. Had conventional with mesh. had 4 done at once, 3 inguinal (2 right, 1 left) and 1 belly button. I am 5 months post op and still not back to 100%. Was given the clear to go back to work at 6 weeks, but no way I could. Work as a mechanic. Could hardly walk for the first week. Been a slow recovery since. Hope to be able to waterski in a couple of weeks.

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Still in recovery. Had conventional with mesh. had 4 done at once, 3 inguinal (2 right, 1 left) and 1 belly button. I am 5 months post op and still not back to 100%. Was given the clear to go back to work at 6 weeks, but no way I could. Work as a mechanic. Could hardly walk for the first week. Been a slow recovery since. Hope to be able to waterski in a couple of weeks.
Man, so sorry to hear your recovery is going so slow. Hopefully you are on the right side of it now

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Just had the surgery May 17th. Still hurts if I use the muscles too much.
Ok, so basically 1 month. Robotic or open surgery? Mesh?
What types of activities can you do? I have 2 large 3D tournaments coming up in the next 7 weeks aNo trying to get a feel for what I will be able to do if I get the surgery in the next few weeks.

Not exactly the same, but I had an umbilical hernia taken care of, laporoscopically with mesh, a few years ago. No weight over 10 lbs first ten days. Then up to 30 lbs for a month. After that, no restrictions.

Best of luck.

Ok, so basically 1 month. Robotic or open surgery? Mesh?
What types of activities can you do? I have 2 large 3D tournaments coming up in the next 7 weeks aNo trying to get a feel for what I will be able to do if I get the surgery in the next few weeks.
I had laparoscopic surgery using the mesh to patch me up. I'm to the point now where unless I twist weird or I make a movement that puts strain on the area I don't get immediate pain. I still feel soreness randomly and get quite sore if I over do it. Yesterday I was sore after sleeping at a hotel. The bed was uncomfortable and I was tossing around a lot at night. I would be comfortable shooting my bow.