Hernias

Q child

WKR
I just had two inguinal hernias surgically fixed. Inguinals are the ones right above my d*ck. It’s been awful. I haven’t been able to exercise since I got them diagnosed and am not supposed to lift more than 20lbs for the next month or two. Surgery went fine. But my lower abdomen has a couple big holes in it. It’s all swollen and bruised down there. I went back to work, which is at a desk after a week off. Still painful and crappy. I’m gaining weight and so bored.
I guess I’m glad that I live now rather than a couple centuries ago when I just would have died with my guts in my sack.
I‘m not looking for sympathy or anything. Feel free to chime in with your hernia experiences if you feel inclined. Or, feel free to ask about my experience. This thread is mostly just to say “f*ck hernias.”

4 days in recovery myself, trying to find the balance of pain and production at taking a crap is interesting….. Ice packs have been my friend. Not alot of bruising or swelling yet.

My wife had to have a Hernia repaired five years ago. Hers was due to having her appendix removed. The scar tissue tore when she was pregnant with our first kiddo. More with the second one and noticed it then. By the third one she had to wear a band around her stomach to hold it in. Had it repaired about 2 months after that third one was born. Pretty painful but she is a rockstar after going through 3 childbirths with a Hernia.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I had a double 10 years ago. Laxatives are your friend, you definitely don't want to be bearing down. The hair never grows back on the incision. You will "feel" it for many months after and follow the lifting restrictions, you don't want them to have to go back in for another repair.

Single inguinal in 7th grade. Umbilical hernia repair around 45. Two years ago went in for double inguinal and the doc found a third one on my left side that hadn't become noticeable. So 5 is where I am at. I was told it's partially genetic and lifestyle. I power lifted in college and work like a maniac which included construction for a private contractor which is likely where the triple got rolling. Thankfully the recovery wasn't horrible just follow the orders for the weight limit the last thing you want to do is tear up what has been corrected.

Had one years ago. Pain and discomfort persisted for weeks. Would still get a twinge months and eve years later. The 20# thing and all the cautions are super conservative. From what I learned, the chances of you ripping the repair are low with even moderate exercise so it really comes down to how much pain you wanna put up with. I would start easing back into some low level activity and ramp it up based on how I felt. don’t be stupid but there is no reason you can’t walk and move a little. Take it slow and build toward more and more intensity over the next few weeks.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have had one right next to my belly button for many years now. I talked to my Dr. about it, He asked if it bothered me at all, to which I said, not even a little. He said, if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother him either.

I’ve had 2 of them for a few years now. Had a horse go over backwards on me and basically pushed my guts down into my ball bag a little bit. For the most part they don’t bother me, if I go to lift something pretty heavy and don’t remember to use perfect form and breathe then I can feel them. Also if I jump off anything over maybe 3 feet I remember they’re there.
Every other year at my physical the doctor reminds me that they’re there, let’s me know they’re not bad enough to need surgery unless it’s bothering me.
Frankly I just don’t want to go through the downtime of recovery after surgery so I just try to be careful not to make them any worse. Anytime I’m putting on a heavy pack I try to set it up on a rock or hillside and get under it, if that’s not an option I’ll put it on on the ground then get onto all fours then up onto my feet.
It actually comes in pretty handy sometimes. Buddy wants you to help move in his new gun safe? Can’t, hernias. Time to stack hay in the barn? Can’t, hernias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had 2 of them for a few years now. Had a horse go over backwards on me and basically pushed my guts down into my ball bag a little bit. For the most part they don’t bother me, if I go to lift something pretty heavy and don’t remember to use perfect form and breathe then I can feel them. Also if I jump off anything over maybe 3 feet I remember they’re there.
Every other year at my physical the doctor reminds me that they’re there, let’s me know they’re not bad enough to need surgery unless it’s bothering me.
Frankly I just don’t want to go through the downtime of recovery after surgery so I just try to be careful not to make them any worse. Anytime I’m putting on a heavy pack I try to set it up on a rock or hillside and get under it, if that’s not an option I’ll put it on on the ground then get onto all fours then up onto my feet.
It actually comes in pretty handy sometimes. Buddy wants you to help move in his new gun safe? Can’t, hernias. Time to stack hay in the barn? Can’t, hernias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a small one now that's been there for about 10 years (I'm 40) it isn't painful and I don't notice it much. I have been thinking of having it repaired but I'm not a fan of being laid up and I can't really be away from work that long.

OP
Q

Q child

WKR
4 days in recovery myself, trying to find the balance of pain and production at taking a crap is interesting….. Ice packs have been my friend. Not alot of bruising or swelling yet.
Haha. Yeah. Pooping has been an ordeal. I'm past the worst of it now 8 days out of surgery.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I tried picking up a 30 gallon barrel of roundup, and got one between my scrotum and a$$hole , by next day I was in bad shape and went to the ER ,
they told me to make the 5 hour drive home, doctor poked it back in and emergency surgery next day .
worst part was waking up during the surgery and getting a spinal block because the Anastasia wouldn’t knock me out
oh yeah and having to take a dump after surgery wasn’t fun

Petwa

FNG
My son is a collegiate wrestler. He wrestled two tournaments this season then started having major issues. He was diagnosed with 3 hernias. Right, left and center. He had surgery to repair all three on Dec 30th. He was absolutely down and out for four days. Lots of pain. He had to go back to college on day six. He was a hurting unit. He started walking on the treadmill, riding a stationary bike and doing whatever cardio he could bear. After week four he started lifting again, light to start. He tried to go back into the wrestling room in mid February and the school Dr wouldn't let him. Too much swelling around the scar tissue?? He's back to 100% now. Living in the gym again, working out like a maniac. It sure was a rough, painful road.