In what percentile is a HARVESTED 160 inch buck on a general unit?

What percent of bucks harvested in a general unit are in that 160 class?

• 1-3%

Votes: 49 36.8%
  • 4-7%

Votes: 51 38.3%
  • 8-10%

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 11-15%

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • 16-20%

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Over 20%

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Under 1%

Votes: 13 9.8%

• Total voters

FAAFO

FNG
Depends on the area. Some areas a 160 class buck is top end. In other areas it would be considered a dink.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I don't know muley scores much at all, so I'd have to see some pics of 160" bucks. Deer don't excite me much (especially when I have to chase them out of the garden every day), so they have to be wide and BIG to impress me. OP, what does the buck in your avatar measure. He looks like a decent buck.
He is 187, his main beams make him what he is. 27 and 28 inches. Inside spread is almost 24.

FAAFO

FNG
What general unit that you can hunt every year is a 160" considered a dink? I'd like to start hunting there lol.
Western WY. Places in CO. ID no problem.

Score gets people all worked up. Score is relevant to the circle you run in. No one I hunt with looks twice at 160 class bucks. Not to say they are not a trophy for someone else though.

Anymore I’m more concerned with age, and in most areas I hunt a 160 class buck isn’t mature to my standards. Now in places like eastern wy it could be a top end mature buck and it’s getting shot. But I don’t hunt there.

I like big mature bucks. 160 and even lots of 170 class do not trip my trigger, even in OTC areas.

huntnful

WKR

Score gets people all worked up. Score is relevant to the circle you run in. No one I hunt with looks twice at 160 class bucks. Not to say they are not a trophy for someone else though.

Anymore I’m more concerned with age, and in most areas I hunt a 160 class buck isn’t mature to my standards. Now in places like eastern wy it could be a top end mature buck and it’s getting shot. But I don’t hunt there.

I like big mature bucks. 160 and even lots of 170 class do not trip my trigger, even in OTC areas.
Actually that's super valid. For some reason I wasn't thinking from the perspective of a resident. Only non resident general tags.

You're absolutely right. A dedicated WY resident, hunting western Wyoming on a general tag every year should see quite a few 160 class bucks if they are getting after it. And a general ID tag for residents is good for tons of units, some which do have a better population of bigger bucks.

180ls1

WKR
Actually that's super valid. For some reason I wasn't thinking from the perspective of a resident. Only non resident general tags.

You're absolutely right. A dedicated WY resident, hunting western Wyoming on a general tag every year should see quite a few 160 class bucks if they are getting after it. And a general ID tag for residents is good for tons of units, some which do have a better population of bigger bucks.

Yeah, meanwhile, I don't know of a single 160" "mule deer" killed in my county (San Diego).

FAAFO

FNG

home field advantage is a thing, but not necessary.

FAAFO

FNG
Look at check station data.
The couple I've participated in, it's less than 1%.
Remember one we checked 112 bucks in two days. 1 buck was 160+. Easy to draw general season unit.
I’m curious, what check station is scoring bucks? I know of no check station data with scores. I have some copies of MT, ID and WY. Which state is doing that?

Last edited:

dancyr3

FNG
Most guys aren't gonna see a 160 in the back of a truck let alone in the field. Guys that get into those bucks are true professionals!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

Which is it that your concerned with, age or inches? 150” 7+ year old bucks are out there. I’ve killed and seen a few personally. Age/antler size is not an indicator. Theres been giants killed only being 4 years old.

Measuring antlers is stupid yet I’ve done it, mainly out of pressure. But I sure do like big bucks :)

FAAFO

FNG
Which is it that your concerned with, age or inches? 150” 7+ year old bucks are out there. I’ve killed and seen a few personally. Age/antler size is not an indicator. Theres been giants killed only being 4 years old.

Measuring antlers is stupid yet I’ve done it, mainly out of pressure. But I sure do like big bucks :)
Age for sure! Older bucks typically have bigger racks so win win on the age thing. But I’m not passing on a 4 year old 200” deer. Mostly because I would be too busy looking at the rack 😂

I’ve never seen a 150” old buck with a tag in my pocket. Very rare for a buck to get so old these days to regress to such a small rack. I’ve seen it on the winter range but just too much pressure on deer these days to see that much.

Got it, thanks. I am talking out of bucks that are actually legally harvested. Say there is a that unit gives out a thousand tags and 300 bucks were killed. How many of those 300 bucks that were killed will go 160+.
You have too much faith in our fellow hunters. Chances are likely that only 100-150 bucks will be killed out of those 1,000 tags issued. Of those killed probably less than 5% are over 160". That means 5-7.5 over 160 out of the 100-150.

So 7.5/1000= 0.0075% that's under 1%.