In for Colorado!

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Any information anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Will make it over a couple times leading up to the hunt (which starts 11/20). Any tips or areas to check out would be greatly appreciative!

Also looking at booking a hotel for the hunt (will also have a tent). Is eagle the best (closest) town to book a room in?

Thanks in advance!!!

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Unless your scouting is proving fruitful and you have spotted a bunch of big deer, I wouldn't pass a 170" class buck on day one.
Thanks.

I know it will be far from a slam dunk but i sure hope i could turn up a few bucks 170+ on this tag. Maybe i will be severely let down but i hope not.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I would pass a 170 on day one and on day 5 with that tag. Can kill a 170 in most units. 44 has the big ones and one can show at any moment, especially during 4th

I've seen it all too often with 1,2,10,201 bull elk hunts where hunters pass on a 300" bull thinking they will kill something bigger. Typically they end up regretting the pass as they don't get another opportunity or they end up with a 260" bull.

That's a lot of years of time to go empty. It might be a unit with giants but 4th season is only 5 days and the giants know where the private land is.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
I've seen it all too often with 1,2,10,201 bull elk hunts where hunters pass on a 300" bull thinking they will kill something bigger. Typically they end up regretting the pass as they don't get another opportunity or they end up with a 260" bull.

That's a lot of years of time to go empty. It might be a unit with giants but 4th season is only 5 days and the giants know where the private land is.
I guess the bright side for me, is my hunt will not be made or lost by just killing a deer. Your right it is a long time to wait, over 3/4 of my time on this earth. But I have been hunting and killing deer and elk in other states as well as Colorado for all those years.

I will give it hell (even going at it with a bow instead of a rifle) and if in five hunting days i cant find a buck that gets me excited, that’s okay. Knowing i have a chance to find a special deer or one that gets me excited is enough for me. Killing one is a huge bonus.

Thanks and if anyone has tips or info, i would be greatly appreciative!!!

Thanks

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
I guess the bright side for me, is my hunt will not be made or lost by just killing a deer. Your right it is a long time to wait, over 3/4 of my time on this earth. But I have been hunting and killing deer and elk in other states as well as Colorado for all those years.

I will give it hell (even going at it with a bow instead of a rifle) and if in five hunting days i cant find a buck that gets me excited, that’s okay. Knowing i have a chance to find a special deer or one that gets me excited is enough for me. Killing one is a huge bonus.

Thanks and if anyone has tips or info, i would be greatly appreciative!!!

Thanks
Good luck brother. Pretty cool. 29 points. Insane.