I'm all ears - any info on buying/building points per state?

Just did it...29 different tags cost me $16K gross and $1,600 net last year just to play the game. I'm planning on putting in for more this year!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you're a bowhunter and within striking distance of Wyoming and Colorado, you have more opportunity than 5 guys could take advantage of, if you're hunting mule deer.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Just did it...29 different tags cost me $16K gross and $1,600 net last year just to play the game. I'm planning on putting in for more this year!

I'm sure my numbers are a lot better than that. Who am I kidding!!!! Wyoming just ate $1121.00 to apply for elk (special with preference point). That sucks. Was just flipping through the online Huntin Fool for February. Lots of places to spend money.

WA you could build points for elk, deer, sheep, goat, or Moose. Anybody can draw in our lottery type of drawing and we have trophy animals in all categories. But with that said you could put in for 20 years and never be guaranteed a tag...

Mike

To apply for EVERYTHING your looking at about 35K your going to have to front! about 2K of that you will never see again cause of point fees and buying non refundable licenses. Just depends on how much stuff you want to apply for......

I do the credit card way like some others have mentioned and get rewards points on the up front costs. This helps to offset some of the interest paid while the states are holding your money hostage. I personally don't like opening up new accounts all the time on my credit. It does look bad on your credit score to have several "Hard" inquires (each credit application is a hard inquire and will stay on your report for two years before dropping off) your score can drop 30+ points by just having 3 of these on your report at one time.

WA you could build points for elk, deer, sheep, goat, or Moose. Anybody can draw in our lottery type of drawing and we have trophy animals in all categories. But with that said you could put in for 20 years and never be guaranteed a tag...

Mike

Mike,

How much does it cost a resident to apply in Washington? Washington is one of the most expensive states to apply in for non-residents. To apply for sheep, moose, or goat you have to pay a $112 special application fee for EACH SPECIES you apply for. Just to apply for those three animals is almost $350 in non-refundable costs right there! I did sheep last year, contemplating moose and goat this year...but also contemplating skipping Washington all together with those fees!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike,

How much does it cost a resident to apply in Washington? Washington is one of the most expensive states to apply in for non-residents. To apply for sheep, moose, or goat you have to pay a $112 special application fee for EACH SPECIES you apply for. Just to apply for those three animals is almost $350 in non-refundable costs right there! I did sheep last year, contemplating moose and goat this year...but also contemplating skipping Washington all together with those fees!

It cost a resident $13.20 for each "Quality" specie draw.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Bigeasygator-
Don't give up on Washington in regards to moose goat and sheep (don't waste your time on deer and elk....even though Washington is a top three state for top end bulls). Nonresidents don't have an allocated amount of tags, meaning they could hypothetically draw ALL these special tags. Furthermore the quality potential is great, for goat and moose a good hunter has a great chance at a BC animal, and sheep hunts are easy with great rams.
That money gets you in the pot every year without worry of getting to max points.

Gman

WKR
My biggest concern with applying for all the states I do is "what if I draw?!". Big hunts like Moose, Sheep, Goat, will get spendy and that's not even including the tag which is anywhere from $1K-$2500! I play the game for "someday" but sometimes "someday" comes today. My philosophy has been that I'll just figure it out when it's my time but I put in for a few tags that I'm not sure I want to draw right now!

Bigeasygator-
Don't give up on Washington in regards to moose goat and sheep (don't waste your time on deer and elk....even though Washington is a top three state for top end bulls). Nonresidents don't have an allocated amount of tags, meaning they could hypothetically draw ALL these special tags. Furthermore the quality potential is great, for goat and moose a good hunter has a great chance at a BC animal, and sheep hunts are easy with great rams.
That money gets you in the pot every year without worry of getting to max points.

And it's a bonus point system (not preference points) so you have the ability to draw each year. But it is extremely expensive compared to the other states. I plan on putting in for all of them.

My biggest concern with applying for all the states I do is "what if I draw?!". Big hunts like Moose, Sheep, Goat, will get spendy and that's not even including the tag which is anywhere from $1K-$2500! I play the game for "someday" but sometimes "someday" comes today. My philosophy has been that I'll just figure it out when it's my time but I put in for a few tags that I'm not sure I want to draw right now!

I'd love to have that problem haha most of the tags I've been applying for have odds of well under 10%, and most sheep tags are a lot closer to 1% (especially without the points). You have a 1% chance of drawing two tags that have 10% odds, a 1 in a 1000 chance to draw three. If you do the same math with tags that take 1% chance it's a one in a million shot at drawing three tags. If you have significantly more points and your odds are better I think you could play it smart as to which tags you put in to make sure you don't run the risk of having "too many". If you're at the low end of the point spectrum don't worry about it...you have about the same odds as hitting the lottery that you do of drawing multiple tags.

I hit the wa lottery twice, once in 2008 with moose and ten bonus points and then in 2010 for sheep with twelve bonus points. Odds of drawing more than one premium tag is extremely low and not worth worrying about.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
Gater-it's not that bad considering its 100 bucks just for a sheet point in Wyoming or the god awful upfront money of Montana or Colorado, or the fact that you have to choose one of the three for Idaho. It's no secret, you gotta pay to play. if you can afford it, Washington shouldn't be overlooked. Like all states, quality units are long odds.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
If you're a bowhunter and within striking distance of Wyoming and Colorado, you have more opportunity than 5 guys could take advantage of, if you're hunting mule deer.

What are annual fees for buying points for Elk and Mule Deer in WY?
I currently do Elk points in CO since I have hunted them the last couple years OTC...which makes points very afforadable...Are CO Mulie points the same process that I should start putting in for them along with Elk?

Great info from everyone - THANKS! When you start talking 5 digits in tag money each year - that's hardcore:)

Gater-it's not that bad considering its 100 bucks just for a sheet point in Wyoming or the god awful upfront money of Montana or Colorado, or the fact that you have to choose one of the three for Idaho. It's no secret, you gotta pay to play. if you can afford it, Washington shouldn't be overlooked. Like all states, quality units are long odds.

You're absolutely right, you have to pay to play. Idaho is expensive (but most of the cost is the license and I've actually hunted OTC units in Idaho so the yearly expense isn't that bad). The sheep point in Wyoming is expensive as well, but there are a lot more tags in Wyoming and a lot better odds. For me, New Mexico is the worst in upfront money with almost $8k going to their draws. I'll keep applying in Washington but it is definitely the most expensive state to apply in!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
What are annual fees for buying points for Elk and Mule Deer in WY?
I currently do Elk points in CO since I have hunted them the last couple years OTC...which makes points very afforadable...Are CO Mulie points the same process that I should start putting in for them along with Elk?

Great info from everyone - THANKS! When you start talking 5 digits in tag money each year - that's hardcore:)

elk-$50, deer-$40, moose-$75, sheep $100. Pick your poison.

Wyoming. Elk $50, deer $40. For points only.

Wyoming is one of the states with a bonus point only period of application. July-September I believe. You can purchase the bonus point without entering the draw and floating the upfront fees. Colorado deer and elk are pretty much identical as far as the preference points are concerned.