If you could have one .300 Win mag.

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
That’s exactly what I ended up buying but I went with the 30-06. I have no where to practice past 300 yards and have had some health issues come up that I should avoid heavy recoil so I figured the 06 is plenty. I am looking to upgrade the stock tho. What color is that Mesa stock? Alpine?

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
That exactly what I ended up buying but I went with the 30-06. I have no where to practice past 300 yards and have had some health issues come up that I should avoid heavy recoil. I am looking to upgrade the stock tho. What color is that Mesa stock? Alpine?

“Alpine” sounds right. The APA fat bastard brake I have on it is incredible. With the stock and brake it recoils like a 6.5 Creedmoor.

That sucks about your health issues. I hope it doesn’t impact your hunting season.

What part of the country are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
03mossy

03mossy

WKR
Minnesota.

Unfortunately I won’t be making any trips west this year. Spinal fusion in Sept followed up by a microdesectomy in May with about a dozen injections and a crap load of PT in between. I am getting around fine but my foot is still numb and I can’t sit for any length of time so the drive out west isn’t happening.

Anyway enough with the pitty party. The Tikka I bought is very pleasant to shoot with the factory brake and a limbsaver. But just to see if I can get it even softer shooting I bought a PVA jet blast brake. Trying that out this weekend!

Minnesota.

Unfortunately I won’t be making any trips west this year. Spinal fusion in Sept followed up by a microdesectomy in May with about a dozen injections and a crap load of PT in between. I am getting around fine but my foot is still numb and I can’t sit for any length of time so the drive out west isn’t happening.

Anyway enough with the pitty party. The Tikka I bought is very pleasant to shoot with the factory brake and a limbsaver. But just to see if I can get it even softer shooting I bought a PVA jet blast brake. Trying that out this weekend!
Man... I hope you see a quick recovery, and can get back out in the field soon. I'm assuming your tikka is a roughtech fluted model with the factory radial break? The pva jet blast break should be an improvement over the radial break. Most radial breaks direct the gas out at 90 degrees from the barrel, and the jet blast looks to have swept back baffling. Perceived concussion and blast may be louder with the back swept baffling, but it should recoil less. Extra weight like bipod or heavier stock or scope would also help soak up some recoil, but if you're like me I like em lightweight.

LightFoot

WKR
Minnesota.

Side port brake will change your world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's a link to a awesome video of some of the more popular and highly effective muzzle brakes on the market, on a recoil sled with a 300. I've used the T3 terminator on a 300 wsm and it really tamed it down to about a 243/308. And I just ordered a Ti pro break for a 338... But yet to be tested.

hoppyumr

FNG
My Hells Canyon Max Long Range 300 Win Mag is a tack driver. Currently shooting 220 grain ELD X's.
Are these factory or hand loads you are talking about? Curious because while I have a press, I've not done my 300wm in it yet; I've not done any annealing yet, so I've not wanted to touch my brass just yet. My H.C L.R. in 300wm was/is a tack driver, when my scope worked, with the Barnes 180gr TTSX all coppers, but I can't seem to find them lately. I have some 200gr ELD-X matches that I was going to try loading up at some point. I'm looking for a new scope, so I hope to have that sorted out soon.

I do have an issue with hunting big game with lead; though, if I did my part right, the lead contamination should be localized to parts likely not eaten. I'm on the fence on that.

They were custom loads from Pendelton Ammunition. But the numerous factory loads I tried all shot great. The gun was very forgiving with ammo.