Ideas for staying awake while driving solo

CHSD

WKR
I like to find a good podcast to listen to. Generally a crime podcast where it sucks you and makes you want to keep listening. Seeds and energy drinks work as well. I never drink energy drinks so that helps. I nodded off once with my family in the car, and swore right then I will never drive if I get to that state again. Even solo it is not worth ruining your families lives over an hour of sleep.

hikenhunt

WKR
I find that snacking keeps me alert, I like pumpkin seeds right now. But I've also pulled over and napped when really tired.

FLATHEAD

WKR
When it gets dark, I need to be near a bed somewhere.
Driving all night sounds like some kind of torture.
Just not gonna happen.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As others have suggested, pull over and take a nap. For my part, I'd rather leave an hour or two earlier, sleep from 1 - 3 am, and rally at 3 to get wherever I'm going.

bozeman

WKR
Dont put ruining your trip at risk by driving tired and having an accident. I stop every 2 hours and do 50 jumping jacks, stretch......I can drive about 14 hours solo and then I get in my camper shell and sleep.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Sleep from 7p til MN then leave at MN or 1a. You will be fewer hours driving in the dark which are your most challenging driving.
Caffeine of your choosing spread throughout travel time.
Provigil which is nectar of the gods if you do shift work!!!
Pull over & rest if you are compromised, arrive alive…

TheHammer

WKR
When eating the day off and day before. Watch the carbs.. I personally run a lot of mtn ops ignite. This year I worked a 12hr day, hopped in my truck, drove 21hrs to central co, had an unfortunate event happen, fixed my truck, turned around n drove home. Basically was awake for 56hrs and drove a good majority of them. 2800miles. Typically I pull off and nap on an off ramp. I deliver most of my heads and engines I build, usually it’s a 48hr event. I watch what I eat and if I snack it’s on fruit snacks or gummies and it’s one at a time so you don’t overload sugar and cause a crash…

Dented

WKR
Drive until your tired then pull over and rest for a bit. Better late than dead.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
nicotine gum. Otherwise not eating is the best advice so far, I drive for a living 10 months out of the year. Food in your belly when tired will make you sleepy

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Great stuff from everybody. Good advice to nap when feeling first signs of drowsiness. I like the hot sauce and dog collar solutions for innovation haha! Meth will be a hard pass. No food in the belly is great too.

Maverick1

WKR
I need everybody’s special hacks for staying awake while driving at night. I’m leaving at 7pm and driving through the night for 10 hours.
So far sunflower seeds are my go to.
A couple come to mind.
1. Ripping the hair off my knuckles with my teeth, one at a time. (Hard to nod off with constant pain.)
2. Driving with the interior dome light on.
3. Opening the window for a blast of cold air every once in awhile.
4. Driving with the air conditioning on, with the vent pointed at my feet. (Very hard to nod off with cold feet.)
5. Take along a bunch of water bottles. The more tired you get, the more you drink. (Very hard to nod off with a full bladder.)

That's about it! My trips are great fun. Arrive with bald knuckles, blood-shot eyes, cold feet, and really have to piss!

grfox92

WKR
I've driven round trip from NY to WY 7 times. This summer will be the 8th.

Snacks, energy drinks, coffee, audio books and podcasts. I download a bunch of stuff before leaving.

If you start swerving or getting real sleepy punch walmart into your maps and go take a nap.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

they say METH can keep you up for days but no personal experience.

Good ol' nasal snuff, energy drinks, nodoz pills, 5 hour engery, sour patch kids and a log of Skoal

Drenalin

WKR
You can pick up a prostitute at any good truck stop, and those ones probably don't mind traveling. Hire one to ride shotgun and tell you stories all night, then drop her off at the stop closest to your destination. The ones that seem the most doped up probably have the best stories.

I haven't tried it, but it should work pretty well.