Idaho Spring Bear

I’m headed up to 28 at the end of April. If anyone has spent some time in that area and would be willing to talk a bit, please send me a pm.

My lovely state of Colorado is going downhill quickly and I’d like to do my part to help the calves and fawns of Idaho.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m headed up to 28 at the end of April. If anyone has spent some time in that area and would be willing to talk a bit, please send me a pm.

My lovely state of Colorado is going downhill quickly and I’d like to do my part to help the calves and fawns of Idaho.
Unlike Colorado, we encourage you to fill two bear tags if you would like.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

A few things I have learned about ticks and tick bites through research and life experience:

1 Most ticks take a very long time, 4+ hours, before they actually attempt to bite you, a tick check every 3-4 hours goes a long way.

2 Disease transmission by ticks normally does not occur for at least 24 hours, but many studies indicate a longer time around 36 hours. It has to do with the infectious bacteria being in their gut and their digestive system takes that long to get revved up before an appropriate portal for transmission is open. Thus consistent tick checks at night or in the morning that reveal a tick embedded in your skin, is not a cause for great alarm. Just remove it and if you have been consistent with your checks then it will be very unlikely it gave you anything fun

3 Tick borne diseases are oftentimes easily treated and leave no lasting effects, IF TREATED PROMPTLY, normally the goal is within 5 days. So if you find a tick on you and it has likely been there more than 2 days it is not unreasonable to be seen at a local clinic. So if you are traveling 21+ hours to Idaho, it might behoove you to be seen by someone in Idaho, they will be most aware of what the local tick populations tend to carry and most effective treatments. If this isn't possible a simple phone call from your home doc could likely bridge this gap.The earliest signs of infection are typically a rash at the bite location or the distal extremities.

In summary, do consistent tick checks and it is very unlikely you will get sick. As stated previously it is nice to keep them off with some permethrin or clothes that they cannot penetrate, but those measures typically are not 100% effective. I share this info just because it helped me to feel more comfortable and more able to enjoy my time in the woods. To anyone afflicted by lasting effects of a tick illness, I feel for you and hope this post doesn't come across in a negative way.

lak2004

WKR
A few things I have learned about ticks and tick bites through research and life experience:

1 Most ticks take a very long time, 4+ hours, before they actually attempt to bite you, a tick check every 3-4 hours goes a long way.

2 Disease transmission by ticks normally does not occur for at least 24 hours, but many studies indicate a longer time around 36 hours. It has to do with the infectious bacteria being in their gut and their digestive system takes that long to get revved up before an appropriate portal for transmission is open. Thus consistent tick checks at night or in the morning that reveal a tick embedded in your skin, is not a cause for great alarm. Just remove it and if you have been consistent with your checks then it will be very unlikely it gave you anything fun

3 Tick borne diseases are oftentimes easily treated and leave no lasting effects, IF TREATED PROMPTLY, normally the goal is within 5 days. So if you find a tick on you and it has likely been there more than 2 days it is not unreasonable to be seen at a local clinic. So if you are traveling 21+ hours to Idaho, it might behoove you to be seen by someone in Idaho, they will be most aware of what the local tick populations tend to carry and most effective treatments. If this isn't possible a simple phone call from your home doc could likely bridge this gap.The earliest signs of infection are typically a rash at the bite location or the distal extremities.

In summary, do consistent tick checks and it is very unlikely you will get sick. As stated previously it is nice to keep them off with some permethrin or clothes that they cannot penetrate, but those measures typically are not 100% effective. I share this info just because it helped me to feel more comfortable and more able to enjoy my time in the woods. To anyone afflicted by lasting effects of a tick illness, I feel for you and hope this post doesn't come across in a negative way.
Super helpful information, thank you.

ticks are definately out. I had 3 crawling on me wednesday and i was not hunting.
but you just flick them off or pull them off, what ever the case might be. Personally i don't over think ticks.

GoatPackr

WKR
For spring ticks I like to wear my thinnest underlay to keep them off my skin if they get under my collar or pant legs. I spray this layer with permethrin especially the lower legs collar and sleeve areas. I do the same with each layer I put on. The stuff will last a long time. Some info says it will possibly stay on after washing. I do it for each trip.

So far it's worked great I don't worry about ticks. I have had buds right next to me get 7 or more ticks a day on them that didn't use it. Also not sure if it's a thing or just coincidental but we have noticed guys wearing black end up with far more crawling on them then guys wearing lighter colors.

Kris

Cwagsta

FNG
For spring ticks I like to wear my thinnest underlay to keep them off my skin if they get under my collar or pant legs. I spray this layer with permethrin especially the lower legs collar and sleeve areas. I do the same with each layer I put on. The stuff will last a long time. Some info says it will possibly stay on after washing. I do it for each trip.

So far it's worked great I don't worry about ticks. I have had buds right next to me get 7 or more ticks a day on them that didn't use it. Also not sure if it's a thing or just coincidental but we have noticed guys wearing black end up with far more crawling on them then guys wearing lighter colors.

Kris

Do you tuck your base layer pants into your socks? Malabo the black color attracting more is wild, I would never have thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you tuck your base layer pants into your socks? Malabo the black color attracting more is wild, I would never have thought.

I’m guessing ticks show up better on black than lighter colors, thus the difference

GoatPackr

WKR
I’m guessing ticks show up better on black than lighter colors, thus the difference

This wasn't visible this was crawling on our neck and arms.
We tried taking turns walking in front going through taller brush busting trail and it didn't make a difference. It was just a simple observation but will be paying attention in the future.

I do tuck into my socks.
Gators wouldn't be a bad idea but I just don't like them unless it's really cold out. My legs get way to hot.

Kris

This wasn't visible this was crawling on our neck and arms.
We tried taking turns walking in front going through taller brush busting trail and it didn't make a difference. It was just a simple observation but will be paying attention in the future.

I do tuck into my socks.
Gators wouldn't be a bad idea but I just don't like them unless it's really cold out. My legs get way to hot.

Kris

It’s not a big deal to me as I don’t wear black and tend to wear earth tones personally

Aren't those transport tags? I thought they were just incase you decided to transport a dead wolf home. Not needed if doing conservation thinning.

Kris
No, need a wolf tag to legally take a wolf. Also have to check the wolf in with fish and game within ten days of kill.

Goody454

FNG
I hate to be “that guy” but ticks really aren’t a big deal. I grew up in the Midwest and I’ve always thought they’re just a part of life.

While in South Carolina in the Marine Corps it was normal to find a couple an hour during a week in the woods. I actually always enjoyed finding them (think Easter Eggs).

Then I move to Vermont for a decade and they’ve never seen a tick a tick in the whole state but are worried to death because Lyme disease is something they’ve heard you get by looking at ticks.
I’m on a field-op (with 1500 other dudes) that gets stopped in the middle of live-fire because one guy found a tick and was evacuated to the ER (actually happened). They made everyone take a 20-minute pause to check for ticks. I just laughed…

Fast-forward 10’ish years, I’m back in the Midwest and my dad gets Alpha Gal from one of the hundreds of ticks that was on him that Spring while cutting firewood. A few trips to the ER before we figure what was wrong, but no big deal after that. He only eats venison and chicken anyway, and now he eats turkey instead of ham.

The two of us are going to Idaho next month and will be using Permethrin on our pants/boots just to have one less thing to worry about. To be honest, neither of us are concerned but the wives are insisting.

I’m not trying to be macho, but you guys really don’t need to worry. I agree with the poster above; it takes a long time before they bite and if they do it’s a relatively low probability that you’ll get infected with something.

Last edited:
The ticks here are easy to find. I spend a bunch time out and about and have never found one dug in. Check yourself when you get back to camp and you’ll be fine.

This thread is awesome, thanks to all that have posted!

I'm planning on hunting and exploring 33-35 at the end of the month and am wondering what people's thoughts are on the likelihood of encountering mountain lions and wolves? I've checked the harvest stats and it appears in 2022 13 wolves and 7 lions were harvested in 33 for example. Are people hunting lions with dogs or are they chance encounters? I was leaning towards having a wolf tag but foregoing the lion as I've never actually seen one in all my years exploring mountains (though never idaho) despite being in their ranges, but I'd love some other opinions. Are the populations large and dangerous enough to warrant a sidearm in anyone's opinion (I'm proficient)? I'll be mostly rifle hunting out of a backpack for 5-6 days solo.

Grizzly encounters are very unlikely in this area, correct?

Many thanks.

jzelk

FNG
This thread is awesome, thanks to all that have posted!

I'm planning on hunting and exploring 33-35 at the end of the month and am wondering what people's thoughts are on the likelihood of encountering mountain lions and wolves? I've checked the harvest stats and it appears in 2022 13 wolves and 7 lions were harvested in 33 for example. Are people hunting lions with dogs or are they chance encounters? I was leaning towards having a wolf tag but foregoing the lion as I've never actually seen one in all my years exploring mountains (though never idaho) despite being in their ranges, but I'd love some other opinions. Are the populations large and dangerous enough to warrant a sidearm in anyone's opinion (I'm proficient)? I'll be mostly rifle hunting out of a backpack for 5-6 days solo.

Grizzly encounters are very unlikely in this area, correct?

Many thanks.
Might want to take another look at the regs. Pretty sure that lion season closes 31 March and doesn't open until August.

That being said, last May I woke up after briefly closing my eyes while spring turkey hunting (it was midday and I had not been calling anywhere near when I sat down) and there was a cat sitting 6 feet away, staring at me. Granted that was a little south and west of where you thinking about going.