Idaho Spring Bear

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to take another look at the regs. Pretty sure that lion season closes 31 March and doesn't open until August.

That being said, last May I woke up after briefly closing my eyes while spring turkey hunting (it was midday and I had not been calling anywhere near when I sat down) and there was a cat sitting 6 feet away, staring at me. Granted that was a little south and west of where you thinking about going.
Make you want to nap with one eye open.

Might want to take another look at the regs. Pretty sure that lion season closes 31 March and doesn't open until August.

That being said, last May I woke up after briefly closing my eyes while spring turkey hunting (it was midday and I had not been calling anywhere near when I sat down) and there was a cat sitting 6 feet away, staring at me. Granted that was a little south and west of where you thinking about going.
Oops, you're right of course, thanks.

Wow that sounds like quite the experience, i would need new pants! What did you do and how did it respond?

KG92

FNG
This thread is awesome, thanks to all that have posted!

I'm planning on hunting and exploring 33-35 at the end of the month and am wondering what people's thoughts are on the likelihood of encountering mountain lions and wolves? I've checked the harvest stats and it appears in 2022 13 wolves and 7 lions were harvested in 33 for example. Are people hunting lions with dogs or are they chance encounters? I was leaning towards having a wolf tag but foregoing the lion as I've never actually seen one in all my years exploring mountains (though never idaho) despite being in their ranges, but I'd love some other opinions. Are the populations large and dangerous enough to warrant a sidearm in anyone's opinion (I'm proficient)? I'll be mostly rifle hunting out of a backpack for 5-6 days solo.

Grizzly encounters are very unlikely in this area, correct?

Many thanks.
I don’t think lion season will be open during your hunt. Definitely have a wolf tag, though.

About the lion thing: if you’re somewhere where the season is indeed open, I would always have a lion tag in your pocket. You just never know when you’re going to stumble across one. I drew the deer/elk combo in MT last fall and was fortunate enough to fill both tags. About a week before I killed my bull, we saw a big Tom sneaking across the ridge about 75 yards ahead of us. He never even saw us. Watched him prowl down the other side and away he went. I could have shot him a million different times, but I didn’t have a tag. Not making that mistake again.

Why carry a handgun when you have a rifle?
A few reasons I can think of:
From a holster I can reliably make 5 hits at 7 yards in 3 seconds in optimal conditions, from my kifaru gun bearer I would be lucky to make one hit in 7 seconds with my rifle no scoping, or one in 9 seconds after flipping scope caps even if I'm hiking with a round chambered (which isn't my personal SOP but I'm open to it) in optimal conditions.
Firing my braked 300wm without ear pro in an emergency will almost definitely cause permanent hearing damage.
Ammo capacity if wolves are in a pack.

There could be others I'm not thinking of, or maybe this things are non issues? I'm open to advice or opinions. Thanks.

I don’t think lion season will be open during your hunt. Definitely have a wolf tag, though.

About the lion thing: if you’re somewhere where the season is indeed open, I would always have a lion tag in your pocket. You just never know when you’re going to stumble across one. I drew the deer/elk combo in MT last fall and was fortunate enough to fill both tags. About a week before I killed my bull, we saw a big Tom sneaking across the ridge about 75 yards ahead of us. He never even saw us. Watched him prowl down the other side and away he went. I could have shot him a million different times, but I didn’t have a tag. Not making that mistake again.
You're right about the season, my bad thank you.

That's awesome filling both tags! I will heed your advice if I ever have that opportunity, thanks!

The ticks here are easy to find. I spend a bunch time out and about and have never found one dug in. Check yourself when you get back to camp and you’ll be fine.
We killed a bear in Gospel Hump and when we got to Grangeville I found a tick buried in my scalp. Took plyers to get it out. It was also May of 2020 and disinfectant was sold out everywhere...

A few reasons I can think of:
From a holster I can reliably make 5 hits at 7 yards in 3 seconds in optimal conditions, from my kifaru gun bearer I would be lucky to make one hit in 7 seconds with my rifle no scoping, or one in 9 seconds after flipping scope caps even if I'm hiking with a round chambered (which isn't my personal SOP but I'm open to it) in optimal conditions.
Firing my braked 300wm without ear pro in an emergency will almost definitely cause permanent hearing damage.
Ammo capacity if wolves are in a pack.

There could be others I'm not thinking of, or maybe this things are non issues? I'm open to advice or opinions. Thanks.
I guess it’s all up to the individual. I’m okay with a handgun, but would far prefer a rifle. I’m not too worried about ammo capacity. Some might call that complacent, but if a zombie wolf pack eats me, so be it.

Situational awareness is going to be far more valuable than speed from the holster.

I bet you’ll find you are far more accurate with a rifle than a handgun.

Your call. I’ve personally never found the need or desire to carry a handgun when I’m rifle hunting.

I guess it’s all up to the individual. I’m okay with a handgun, but would far prefer a rifle. I’m not too worried about ammo capacity. Some might call that complacent, but if a zombie wolf pack eats me, so be it.

Situational awareness is going to be far more valuable than speed from the holster.

Your call. I’ve personally never found the need or desire to carry a handgun when I’m rifle hunting.
I certainly wouldn't call you complacent and I consider ammo capacity the weakest of my brainstormed reasons.

I also agree that situational awareness is far more valuable than weaponry or skills with it, and I try to be appropriately vigilant at all times when I'm enjoying the backcountry, especially solo.

If time isn't a factor I'm definitely more accurate with a rifle beyond point blank range, you are correct.

I appreciate you chiming in, your points are completely valid in my humble opinion. I've never carried a pistol rifle hunting before, but here NV we have very few wolves (none until quite recently), no grizzlies, and I've never seen a lion (I imagine we have a lower population of them) so I thought I'd seek some opinions from those with more relevant experience. Thanks!

IDVortex

WKR

I keep going back and forth on carrying for spring bear, all for the reasons you have. But them also realize when I'm packing in my rifle is on my pack, so then I go back to wanting a holster on my pack belt. Who knows what I'll end up doing.

I certainly wouldn't call you complacent and I consider ammo capacity the weakest of my brainstormed reasons.

I also agree that situational awareness is far more valuable than weaponry or skills with it, and I try to be appropriately vigilant at all times when I'm enjoying the backcountry, especially solo.

If time isn't a factor I'm definitely more accurate with a rifle beyond point blank range, you are correct.

I appreciate you chiming in, your points are completely valid in my humble opinion. I've never carried a pistol rifle hunting before, but here NV we have very few wolves (none until quite recently), no grizzlies, and I've never seen a lion (I imagine we have a lower population of them) so I thought I'd seek some opinions from those with more relevant experience. Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about being ambushed by a predator unless your in grizzly country. Being surprised by a cow moose is about 1,000 times scarier than a black bear, lion or wolves.

I wouldn't worry about being ambushed by a predator unless your in grizzly country. Being surprised by a cow moose is about 1,000 times scarier than a black bear, lion or wolves.
100%. I was almost stomped by a cow moose, while stalking a black bear, not paying attention, in SW MT (grizz central). Those mountain hippos don’t play.

IDVortex

WKR
I'll have to look, but I think in the lower 48, moose attacks are higher than bear? I want to say I read that before, so ill have to look for it.

One bow hunt in SW MT I had a young love sick bullwinkle sniffing my teepee as I slept. I slapped his nose and he thundered off.
That story reminds me of when another love sick bullwinkle almost tripped over the guy line of my super tarp. I'm blind and for the 1.5 seconds it took to find my glasses I had NO IDEA what was going on.

Same creek bottom as the previous story. I should go moose hunting there.

KG92

FNG
My .44 lives in a holster attached to my bino harness. Super comfortable and easy to hike with. I just leave it on year-round and don’t think much of it. Walking up on a “dead” bear in a thick nasty creek bottom, it’s probably easier for me to just have the handgun ready than the rifle. That’s the only actual spring bear-specific reason I can think of carrying it with me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hate to be “that guy” but ticks really aren’t a big deal. I grew up in the Midwest and I’ve always thought they’re just a part of life.

While in South Carolina in the Marine Corps it was normal to find a couple an hour during a week in the woods. I actually always enjoyed finding them (think Easter Eggs).

Then I move to Vermont for a decade and they’ve never seen a tick a tick in the whole state but are worried to death because Lyme disease is something they’ve heard you get by looking at ticks.
I’m on a field-op (with 1500 other dudes) that gets stopped in the middle of live-fire because one guy found a tick and was evacuated to the ER (actually happened). They made everyone take a 20-minute pause to check for ticks. I just laughed…

Fast-forward 10’ish years, I’m back in the Midwest and my dad gets Alpha Gal from one of the hundreds of ticks that was on him that Spring while cutting firewood. A few trips to the ER before we figure what was wrong, but no big deal after that. He only eats venison and chicken anyway, and now he eats turkey instead of ham.

The two of us are going to Idaho next month and will be using Permethrin on our pants/boots just to have one less thing to worry about. To be honest, neither of us are concerned but the wives are insisting.

I’m not trying to be macho, but you guys really don’t need to worry. I agree with the poster above; it takes a long time before they bite and if they do it’s a relatively low probability that you’ll get infected with something.
I'll be sure to let the multiple people I know that have almost died from tick bites that some random dude on the internet thinks they're blowing it way out of proportion and they need to just toughen up.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk