Idaho potential nonresident fee increase

Does Idaho post NR sales by zone anywhere? Curious to see how much actual NR tag sales have increased vs: residents buying the second tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per Idaho Statesman, NR Elk tag will cost $650. No mention of Deer fees. In response to resident concerns regarding overcrowding. Cap NR Elk and Deer tags. 5-9 million dollar loss. Make up the difference by increasing NR fees. NR fishing will increase to $106.
Posted February 10, 2020 1833 hours (Idahostatesman.com)

dreamingbig:

Go to the Idaho Fish and Game website. Look up Nonresident Tag Quotas. You can review tag quotas in capped zones.

I can't find any data on new caps per elk zone or total NR elk and deer tags that will be available to NR.

Current NR Elk tag fee: $416.75
New NR Elk tag fee (2021?): $650.00 (per Idahostatesman.com)
Current hunting license: $154.75
New hunting license (2021?): unknown
Total: NR elk hunt will cost $804.75 maybe more if the hunting license fee increases.

Current NR Fishing license: $98.25
New NR Fishing license (2021?): $106.00

87TT

WKR
And now WY is proposing to raise their NR fees to $800 so we'll still be a bargain and they are lowering the number of tags too which we are not. So I don't understand all the whining.

weaver

WKR
And now WY is proposing to raise their NR fees to $800 so we'll still be a bargain and they are lowering the number of tags too which we are not. So I don't understand all the whining.
+ the $150 license in Idaho so inline with what proposed in WY.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

At $800 for a 4 week archery season you are not a bargain compared to your neighbor state to the east.

We already have a cap on elk and deer tags.

I read they are going to cap the NR elk and deer tags, thus implying, the quotas will be reduced. Reduced caps will result in the projected 5-9 million dollar deficit. To make up for the deficit fees are being increased. That's my understanding.

It is the commission's intent to limit NR participation in general big game hunts (IDFG Press Release 9/3/19).

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
At $800 for a 4 week archery season you are not a bargain compared to your neighbor state to the east.

I don't know about that
WY proposed changes

Elk (current $690 > new $800)
Deer (current $372 > new $550)
Antelope (current $324 > new $425)
Sheep (current $2,318 > new $3,000)
Goat (current $2,160 > new $2,500)
Moose (current $1,980 > new $2,500)
Bull bison (current $4,400 > new $5,500)

Non-resident Quota Moose (current 20% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Sheep, Goat (current 25% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Elk (current 16% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Deer/Antelope (current ~20% > new 10%)

*30% of all non-resident licenses reserved in a separate quota for those hunting with an outfitter. (aka guide draw)
*Special priced licenses/quota split would be discontinued.
*Hunts with 9 or less licenses would have 0 non-resident licenses.
*Non-resident application fee increased from $15 to $17
And don't forget about those points.

87TT

WKR
We already have a cap on elk and deer tags.

I read they are going to cap the NR elk and deer tags, thus implying, the quotas will be reduced. Reduced caps will result in the projected 5-9 million dollar deficit. To make up for the deficit fees are being increased. That's my understanding.

It is the commission's intent to limit NR participation in general big game hunts (IDFG Press Release 9/3/19).
Reduced caps per zone only. I don't see where you are finding intent?

Wyoming. I've never hunted there. $800 dollar elk fee include the hunting license or is that separate?

To offset potential future revenue losses from selling fewer nonresident licenses and tags due to managing nonresident participation in certain areas, the department has proposed legislation to the Idaho Governor’s Office that would increase nonresident fees for the first time since 2009.

I don't know about that
WY proposed changes

Elk (current $690 > new $800)
Deer (current $372 > new $550)
Antelope (current $324 > new $425)
Sheep (current $2,318 > new $3,000)
Goat (current $2,160 > new $2,500)
Moose (current $1,980 > new $2,500)
Bull bison (current $4,400 > new $5,500)

Non-resident Quota Moose (current 20% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Sheep, Goat (current 25% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Elk (current 16% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Deer/Antelope (current ~20% > new 10%)

*30% of all non-resident licenses reserved in a separate quota for those hunting with an outfitter. (aka guide draw)
*Special priced licenses/quota split would be discontinued.
*Hunts with 9 or less licenses would have 0 non-resident licenses.
*Non-resident application fee increased from $15 to $17
And don't forget about those points.

Not Wyoming... Montana! 11 weeks of hunting deer and elk. But is getting harder to draw.

Called IDFG headquarters:
Current NR deer tag: $301.75.
New NR deer tag (2021): $350.00
Current NR hunting license: $154.75
New NR hunting license: $183.25

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
It's a 56% increase on the NR elk tags, that's pretty substantial. Then it's a around a 10-18% hike on deer and hunting license fees. The other big one to me is the 338% increase in the archery permit from $18.25 to $80.00. Obviously elk is the 'cash cow' in western hunting and they needed to catch up to the other western states while appeasing the residents. I certainly don't blame them.

I haven't seen what the tag quotas are going to be but I'm skeptical it will help with the over-crowding problem. Maybe in some areas but in the OTC units like the panhandle I can't see how it will help much. If anything it will just make it even more disproportionate when guys can't get drawn so they just buy OTC. I guess we'll see in 2021! As long as I don't get priced out of hunting my home state I'm all for cutting back on tag quotas. Wish they'd offer a native resident tag program like Montana but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Bobbyboe

WKR
To offset potential future revenue losses from selling fewer nonresident licenses and tags due to managing nonresident participation in certain areas, the department has proposed legislation to the Idaho Governor’s Office that would increase nonresident fees for the first time since 2009.

They can legally make a change line that, but it’s just not right. Why should NR be cut and also pay more for the resource? Residents should foot that bill if they want more seclusion, which by the way most likely wont happen. It’s easy to blame the non resident.

We as hunters needs to start standing with each other. We are all non residents in 49 other states. I’m so sick of hearing “well they only give x% of tags” or “they charge this much for their tags”. Im all for changes being made to support and better the resource. But it seems most changes are revenue driven or made out of spite. It’s really a shame.

sneaky

"DADDY"
i think of out of state hunting as a luxury, not a right. By definition hunting isn’t a right but I do think it falls under umbrella of important cultural Practice but try not let that comment get too sidetracked.

I know most of the hunters raising kids back in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s didn’t have the funds or days off to allocate towards western or out of state hunts. We live in a time of opulence.

across the board as long as states aren’t infringing on my constitutional rights I support the idea of states as small test cells of democracy aka states rights.

If states want to treat non residents like trash I’m for reallocating Pittman Robertson dollars to states that have different models. Same with dollars that other federal agencies spend and allocate.

fair is fair.

then again it’s all pissing in the wind.
Here's how P-R funds are distributed. Good luck with getting that changed because NR to any state get mad because license prices went up.
bf8c1625baa24c114274ef1a6e70a716.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk