Idaho potential nonresident fee increase

ridgefire

WKR
It sucks the prices are going up but it will not be cutting down on the nr pressure. Myself and everyone else in our camp will still continue to hunt Idaho. I wish they made it the same price for everyone to hunt on federal lands myself. It would probably reduce the pressure in these areas if it did happen.

Wrench

WKR
Colorado, Oregon and Washington all have OTC options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wa you must buy your license and tag to draw, if you don't draw you get 80 hours to hunt for a spike in the best areas, or a Roosie in an area that you cannot get an access permit to enter. You must have a forest use pass, a disco pass, a trespass permit.....and probably more that I forgot about.

I STRONGLY suggest that every state does look at how Washington does it and does the opposite.

You have a good system, just adjust for inflation and population.

KurtR

WKR
Tag prices and nr pressure are really two different things. There is a hard cap set up already for total nr so that member stays the same. Now the idea to cap individual zones will control the nr pressure but along with that the explosion in resident population there a resident cap would also really help to know exactly the number using the zone. Really a couple hundred dollars is not going to keep most from going. This is in reference to elk and from my observations the last few years and talking to my brother who moved there a few years ago. In the end it’s Idaho’s residents choice on how they manage their game and I am just a visitor happy for the opportunity. I understand the frustration with some nr as we have around 70000 people come to South Dakota pheasant hunting each year

BluMtn

WKR
Colorado, Oregon and Washington all have OTC options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WA OTC is a joke... I’d rather go fishing.

Nobody in their right mind would ever buy an out of state in Washington. I live here and watching paint dry is more of an adventure than hunting. Here all you do is pay the state for the privilege of hiking in the mountains with a rifle on your back for 9 days. Our game dept is one of the biggest jokes in the nation.

I'm not opposed to a fee increase or changing the plan to more evenly distribute hunter.

But even in there email they say some hunters will choose not to hunt. Ohh that's a good plan, is Idfw ran buy the wolf lovers now? Just another way to eliminate hunting.
And I'd really support it if they were making the changes in support of the animals. Thought that's what Dept of fish and wildlife is supposed to do.
But there doing it to appease the residents.
Maybe they should change it to the dept of resident hunters. Who cares about the animals. Let's make it political not about managing the animals.

Gobbler36

WKR
This is a good first step for Idaho, glad to see us get in line with other states, don’t know if it will help pressure but hopefully they’ll actually start considering reducing the number of NR otc tags being sold, especially for deer. Tired of being everyone’s fall back state

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
I'm not opposed to a fee increase or changing the plan to more evenly distribute hunter.

But even in there email they say some hunters will choose not to hunt. Ohh that's a good plan, is Idfw ran buy the wolf lovers now? Just another way to eliminate hunting.
And I'd really support it if they were making the changes in support of the animals. Thought that's what Dept of fish and wildlife is supposed to do.
But there doing it to appease the residents.
Maybe they should change it to the dept of resident hunters. Who cares about the animals. Let's make it political not about managing the animals.

They should be managing for herd objectives and also for its residents as we are the owners of the wildlife in OUR state, but I do agree with you that I would like to see more mention of plans on areas below objective etc

They should be managing for herd objectives and also for its residents as we are the owners of the wildlife in OUR state, but I do agree with you that I would like to see more mention of plans on areas below objective etc

They just dont even meantion it being for the animals at all. Like at all.

Raising tag prices is never a good thing. I do understand that the states costs are rising and tag increases are a necessary evil. It is really sad that some are in favor of 50% tag increases. Their only thought is self centered and they know that it will benefit them. Excluding many, who will not have the money to hunt anymore sucks. If Idaho can prove they need x amount of money to operate and x amount of tag $$ increase is needed to bridge the gap, I am all for it. If it is simply to limit NR opportunity, I think they need to rethink their OTC structure.

87TT

WKR
What's the difference if prices go up a "few" dollars a year or stay the same for ten years and then go up all at once? I like the way Idaho runs their Dept, way more than most of the others. And yeah some people may not come here but that's ok because the left over tags can be bought as second tags by NR and Res. The caps on zones is a good thing IMO.

. 317647636v19_350x350_Front.jpg

What's the difference if prices go up a "few" dollars a year or stay the same for ten years and then go up all at once? I like the way Idaho runs their Dept, way more than most of the others. And yeah some people may not come here but that's ok because the left over tags can be bought as second tags by NR and Res. The caps on zones is a good thing IMO.

. View attachment 153058

Until the younger generation doesn't hunt anymore and its outlawed because nobody supports it any more.

87TT

WKR
I guess that's why that evil IDFG has so many youth hunts and reduced fees. And gives out grants to support Hunter's Ed.

This is a good first step for Idaho, glad to see us get in line with other states, don’t know if it will help pressure but hopefully they’ll actually start considering reducing the number of NR otc tags being sold, especially for deer. Tired of being everyone’s fall back state

What does being a fall back state have to do with prices? Raising prices won't curb anything, see Wyoming which had no bearing on slowing down applicants. Capping zones however will. I've hunted Idaho for several years as a NR when I've been able to draw limited tags (Elk not deer, also have done OTC). I have only seen an increase in interest not actually individuals in the field. I suggest you research how many tags go to NR. For a very long time ID OTC tags never sold out, infact I bought them on my drive to the unit area several times.

With that being said, it sounds like you'd prefer individuals to not have any opportunity to hunt. The fact that we have a strong economy, will increase discretionary spending that people throw down on hunting trips, guns, ammo, and equipment. Yes the same things that WE all pay taxes into the Pittman-Robertson fun for conservation.

We, yes WE, as sportsman should encourage as much hunting as possible to keep it alive for the younger generations. Without it, ID will turn into Colorado or even worst California. Or worst yet there simply won't be any hunting left.

87TT

WKR
The increase in "interest" is because of how the opportunities have decreased elsewhere and how huge of a bargain Idaho has been because we have not kept up. I am not for decreasing NR quotas just spreading them out and charging what it's worth now not what it was ten or more years ago.

i think of out of state hunting as a luxury, not a right. By definition hunting isn’t a right but I do think it falls under umbrella of important cultural Practice but try not let that comment get too sidetracked.

I know most of the hunters raising kids back in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s didn’t have the funds or days off to allocate towards western or out of state hunts. We live in a time of opulence.

across the board as long as states aren’t infringing on my constitutional rights I support the idea of states as small test cells of democracy aka states rights.

If states want to treat non residents like trash I’m for reallocating Pittman Robertson dollars to states that have different models. Same with dollars that other federal agencies spend and allocate.

fair is fair.

then again it’s all pissing in the wind.

HookUp

WKR
Out of state hunting is getting blown up. When Demand goes up prices go to. I have no issue with the Idaho increase.

The increase in "interest" is because of how the opportunities have decreased elsewhere and how huge of a bargain Idaho has been because we have not kept up. I am not for decreasing NR quotas just spreading them out and charging what it's worth now not what it was ten or more years ago.

I wouldn't consider Idaho a bargain if you compared "quality" vs other states. With that being said I shoot more cows than bulls on avg because that is what I draw across the west,

Out of state hunting is getting blown up. When Demand goes up prices go to. I have no issue with the Idaho increase.

I have no issues with prices going up, I will mostly likely pay for ID in the future, just won't be hunting there this season due to other plans. However, would demand going up be the real reason? Partially I would agree, however then there is this non sense: https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/idaho-farmer-payout-for-elk-damage-exceeds-1-million

I would think most individuals, R/NR, would have a problem with something like that, especially if the farmer charged for access to hunt elk on their property(southern ID is $10k+ trespass for bull elk I believe). Get it while you can, work the system. But wanna do the math on how many R tags that equals? Takes money away from the true purpose of conservation.

Again just my viewpoint. I am all for price increases if the money goes to the right places.

HookUp

WKR
I was referring to the youtube celebrities uploading and encouraging public land hunts daily. The wild animals of the west are a small resource compared to the human population, it doesn't take much of an uptick in hunters to start feeling the pressure which every western state has.