Idaho NR Draw Bill… thoughts?

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
@Jason Snyder brings up a good point. How will the general NR draw be implemented as in comparison to the standard resident controlled hunts? Will everything be in the May slot, or will there be the NR December general draw? Will returned NR tags be open for residents otc?
I would think that Idaho would like to keep their early dates. They want their market share of the tags. Early dates are part of what creates the pandemonium. Idaho wants the first crack at NR dollars. Also, it seems like the fact that the controlled draws happens so late keeps the odds better; the line share of the NR already have their tags filled by June.
Wyoming has their Elk sale so early compared to other states because they want to grab the market share of the NR Elk dollars. It’s smart really; but has created pandemonium.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Are you thinking like a Montana system? Their system is similar Other than they do 3 points. If you do one point cap, at some point there could be (high likelihood) more people with one point than general tags available, everyone with one point won’t draw, so then you have to either increase the point cap or just realize that once you have 1 point your odds won’t be 100%. Right? Or am I missing something.

If the Montana system is like that then yes that’s basically what I’m thinking. I’d be 100% up for that. Maybe a 2 point. I just hate the idea of a pure lottery draw.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are right. At least now, you can still almost certainly pick up a deer tag if you are willing to be flexible. Buddies at the back of the line still had a few to choose from. With a draw you are SOL if you pick the “wrong” unit depending on how they structure it. Either way I think days of getting a tag in Idaho every year as a NR will be over soon.
Agree with this!!!

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think people realize how bad the draw odds will be when you can just simply apply for it. I’m a resident but I’ve had buddy’s get tags every year to come hunt in Idaho. They’ve put in the work to get tags and have gotten to hunt every time. I have a feeling that won’t be the case if a draw gets implemented. There will be way more people participating if it’s just a simple draw and guys won’t be able to hunt every year. I feel like alot of the complaining comes from people who only want one or two certain units.
I can’t agree with one post more on this thread. It’s usually 1 or 2 units that screw it up for everyone. My guess is that a lot of this is coming from elk hunters looking for a few units that quite frankly could be considered as controlled units. Could you imagine if Wyoming general units were on a FCFS basis? Everybody would complain that they can’t buy unit G and H… so they’d say: let’s go to a draw!

I can’t agree with one post more on this thread. It’s usually 1 or 2 units that screw it up for everyone. My guess is that a lot of this is coming from elk hunters looking for a few units that quite frankly could be considered as controlled units. Could you imagine if Wyoming general units were on a FCFS basis? Everybody would complain that they can’t buy unit G and H… so they’d say: let’s go to a draw!
For sure!

Hunthigh1

WKR
You and timberline are absolutely correct about that. Many don’t realize how much the perception of scarcity affects human behavior. Going to a draw results in more people fighting for same amount of tags.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
You and timberline are absolutely correct about that. Many don’t realize how much the perception of scarcity affects human behavior. Going to a draw results in more people fighting for same amount of tags.
Scarcity theory has already contributed greatly to the 12/1 real time, in person draw.

I don't think scarcity theory will cause another bump when converting to an organized draw.

Things might even settle down by eliminating in person travel and line forming on sidewalks. And settle even further if an Idaho draw occurs in spring rather than this first in nation, 12/1 date.

Scarcity theory has already contributed greatly to the 12/1 real time, in person draw.

I don't think scarcity theory will cause another bump when converting to an organized draw.

Things might even settle down by eliminating in person travel and line forming on sidewalks. And settle even further if an Idaho draw occurs in spring rather than this first in nation, 12/1 date.
You actually have to put in a little effort the way it is now. When it takes a couple clicks to apply everyone will do it just because you can. I apply for 9 western states. If I had to take a day off to get a tag I certainly would t apply for all of them.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
You actually have to put in a little effort the way it is now. When it takes a couple clicks to apply everyone will do it just because you can. I apply for 9 western states. If I had to take a day off to get a tag I certainly would t apply for all of them.
Today, the user gets to know the result of his 12/1 NR otc elk draw before buying the $185 base hunting license.

Will the same number apply in a formal draw when he has to buy the $185 base license just to find out if he gets the most basic gen/otc bull or buck tag?

Today, the user gets to know the result of his 12/1 NR otc elk draw before buying the $185 base hunting license.

Will the same number apply in a formal draw when he has to buy the $185 base license just to find out if he gets the most basic gen/otc bull or buck tag?
Way more people will apply. $185 is small change now days for a chance at a tag. People tie up a few grand for a chance at a deer, antelope, and elk tag in NM every year.

TButtars

FNG
I kinda like the December first fiasco…….. The dedicated guys get the tags they want because they are willing to camp out outside a vendor because it’s that’s important to them. The people who don’t care as much hop on their phone and just kinda see where they get put in line and go from there….
In saying that I know something has to be done but it really sucks to have to go to a draw system. Look at Idahos regular draw right now I have been putting in since I was 12 and have never drawn a tag but yet every year my odds get worse and worse I will likely never beat the odds at this point. I can only see the same thing happening for a “general tag draw”. Then look at Wyomings point creep for their general units and it’s also something likely to never catch up to get tag. So what can we do we have a much higher percentage of people who want tags than tags. We need more deer and that’s a whole other problem in itself. We don’t need more liberal tags we more deer end of story.