Idaho NR Draw Bill… thoughts?

Hard to turn in something that’s not happening.

You grew up in western Washington so you know how unfair things can get. Just because you haven’t seen the vendor shenanigans yet doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

Some vendors are definitely profiting off the current proxy purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You grew up in western Washington so you know how unfair things can get. Just because you haven’t seen the vendor shenanigans yet doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

Some vendors are definitely profiting off the current proxy purchase.

I’m sure there’s a little of that going on but none of the mass conspiracy everyone wants to make it out to be. The Idaho NR OTC tag purchase has turned into the most dramatized event I’ve witnessed in hunting. Everyone I know gets tags every year and is happy but somehow on the slide and Facebook everyone feels robbed and has these crazy conspiracies.

I’m sure there’s a little of that going on but none of the mass conspiracy everyone wants to make it out to be. The Idaho NR OTC tag purchase has turned into the most dramatized event I’ve witnessed in hunting. Everyone I know gets tags every year and is happy but somehow on the slide and Facebook everyone feels robbed and has these crazy conspiracies.

My personal experience has been…

The elk zone I bought OTC in 2019 and 2020 is now unattainable. It sold out in the first 7 minutes. The best number I have had in line has been ~8k. And that has been with numerous devices. Even if I was in person at a vendor you would have to be at the very front. And you can’t get the same zone for your hunting partner. I had a list of my top 10 elk zones and while I waited the 1hr to finally be able to buy my 1st 9 were off the board.

So yeah it isn’t working great for me and I wouldn’t mind the elimination of proxy purchases. Have I been able to get a tag? Yes but it is certainly not something where you can guarantee an elk zone.

The elk zone I bought OTC in 2019 and 2020 is now unattainable. It sold out in the first 7 minutes. The best number I have had in line has been ~8k. And that has been with numerous devices. Even if I was in person at a vendor you would have to be at the very front. And you can’t get the same zone for your hunting partner. I had a list of my top 10 elk zones and while I waited the 1hr to finally be able to buy my 1st 9 were off the board.
So yeah it isn’t working great for me and I wouldn’t mind the elimination of proxy purchases. Have I been able to get a tag? Yes but it is certainly not something where you can guarantee an elk zone.

But youre getting to hunt. Had that been a draw you would have had minuscule odds at drawing your highly popular first choice, not have drawn, and been without a tag. What you’re going to learn on your hunt this year is there really isn’t a bad zone in Idaho. There’s preferable ones for sure but they all have elk and you can make it happen in any of them. That’s why I don’t understand everyone’s complaints. I’m a life time license holder and can buy any OTC zone but if I wasn’t and my choices were hunt a less zone or not hunt at all I’d definitely go hunt that lesser zone and probably get on bulls anyways.

Archer86

WKR
But youre getting to hunt. Had that been a draw you would have had minuscule odds at drawing your highly popular first choice, not have drawn, and been without a tag. What you’re going to learn on your hunt this year is there really isn’t a bad zone in Idaho. There’s preferable ones for sure but they all have elk and you can make it happen in any of them. That’s why I don’t understand everyone’s complaints. I’m a life time license holder and can buy any OTC zone but if I wasn’t and my choices were hunt a less zone or not hunt at all I’d definitely go hunt that lesser zone and probably get on bulls anyways.
How do we know that still won't be the case some areas may go to 2nd choice. First year will be a shot in the dark. But after that we should start to see a trend. Some areas might be easier to draw and some that are more difficult then you play the draw odds and decide what hunt you want May even be tags that go to a leftover draw hard to say.

Either way it will be better then it was

Yes but….

I didn’t the two previous years as I had a number in 30k range.

Turn backs were an option but I already had MT.

Not complaining other than to say the draw wouldn’t necessarily be worse.

My preference would still be for them to eliminate proxy purchase (require person with person present and can present appropriate ID) for a year and see how that goes.

How do we know that still won't be the case some areas may go to 2nd choice. First year will be a shot in the dark. But after that we should start to see a trend. Some areas might be easier to draw and some that are more difficult then you play the draw odds and decide what hunt you want May even be tags that go to a leftover draw hard to say.

Either way it will be better then it was
A lot of these general zones are going to be as hard to draw as some of our premier units. I don’t think non residents really understand what these units are.

Yes but….

I didn’t the two previous years as I had a number in 30k range.

Turn backs were an option but I already had MT.

Not complaining other than to say the draw wouldn’t necessarily be worse.

My preference would still be for them to eliminate proxy purchase (require person with person present and can present appropriate ID) for a year and see how that goes.

I don’t see why it’d be an issue. Especially since kids arnt part of the non resident pool. Kids are the only reason proxy’s purchases should be legal in general.

@Timberline001 and no I don't think Remi Warren is buying off the expo as well. I think he's just got better luck than some of us. But I'd suspect he was buying off IDFG if he was getting spot number 1 in line for Idaho OTC :ROFLMAO: totally kidding though

I am sure I am in the minority here but as a NR I actually like the system the way it is. Yes its a pain the rear to have to keep track on your phone until your number is reached and yes its a pain to find out the tags you wanted are all gone. But there is a certain level of excitement waiting for that random number to be assigned. Plus its the first shot at tags each year its nice to just find out and move on.

Makes sense to let leftover and returned tags be obtained outside of a draw. The first bill I was wondering how they were going to enforce all non resident tags be obtained through a draw.

Also interesting that they’re going to push this to 2026 (more than likely the 2027 hunting season), so two more years of Idaho OTC tags. I guess it will take a while for the draw committee to figure how they’re going to run the draw

TheTone

WKR
Not surprised to see outfitters and guides listed as a committee member, I’m pretty sure my local outfitter went down and testified against the original bill. Im going to guess they’ll push for even more handouts and control. Honestly the make up of the committee kinda stinks IMO and I’m not sure it’s needed at all. Just let the department and commission figure it out

Not surprised to see outfitters and guides listed as a committee member, I’m pretty sure my local outfitter went down and testified against the original bill. Im going to guess they’ll push for even more handouts and control. Honestly the make up of the committee kinda stinks IMO and I’m not sure it’s needed at all. Just let the department and commission figure it out
None of it’s needed. All of the tags sold every year and will continue to. Ridiculous to go from one day and done to having to create an entire committee for a whole new draw. What a waste.

Moyle certainly gave himself plenty of say on the commission. There is absolutely no reason that the appointed IFG commissioners can't make the drawing determination now that it will be codified by the legislature. There is no reason to have legislators greasy fingers in the process.

Moyle certainly gave himself plenty of say on the commission. There is absolutely no reason that the appointed IFG commissioners can't make the drawing determination. There is no reason to have legislators greasy fingers in the process.
Seems they want to be in it as much as possible now. I’ll admit I was wrong about when they passed the bill legalizing lighted nocks. Seemed great at the time and I really thought they’d only use legalization on small no brainer things like that but it’s definitely gotten much worse.