Idaho NR Draw Bill… thoughts?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a res of Idaho, but thinking like a non res here:

If I don't draw a tag in a fair & square draw, I'm only upset about my luck

If I don't draw in Idaho's Dec-1-cluster and lose hours of my life (business hours btw) and then don't draw, I"m extra mad!!!!

Plus with the current system, families/buddies can't plan on hunting together. If this is like our controlled hunt draw, I believe up to 4 can apply together.

Anything's gotta be better than what we're doing

LFC911

WKR
I know I don't get a vote but as a NR ID elk hunter, I support it. My question would be, if it doesn't go into effect until 1/1/25, do we still have one more year of the current process or no?

Grundy53

WKR
I'm a res of Idaho, but thinking like a non res here:

If I don't draw a tag in a fair & square draw, I'm only upset about my luck

If I don't draw in Idaho's Dec-1-cluster and lose hours of my life (business hours btw) and then don't draw, I"m extra mad!!!!

Plus with the current system, families/buddies can't plan on hunting together. If this is like our controlled hunt draw, I believe up to 4 can apply together.

Anything's gotta be better than what we're doing
As a non resident, I couldn't agree more. Anything has to be better than the current way they are doing it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Some thought will need to go into this though. Some areas will blow up in odds because currently you have to have a NR elk tag in hand to apply for say unit 18.

Assuming the controlled hunts go into the same drawing (big assumption) that would certainly torpedo odds for the more coveted units.

The flip side would be guys who want to hunt the MF zone wouldn’t have to competed with guys who just want a tag for controlled hunt purposes and then return them later.

I can’t imaging holding two drawings, but then again I’m not often surprised that I’m surprised anymore when it comes to this stuff.

^^^ this is a great point. A lot of guys like to have their cake and eat it too.

I think it would have to be implemented just like the normal controlled hunts draw.

Many guys apply for sheep every year, but also have really good “general” deer or elk tags. This could help draw odds.

I see it as a win if it goes this way. I hate to see a draw, but sitting online missing work hoping to get a random number having no idea if other members of your hunting party are getting a tag sucks. Especially when servers are crashing like 2022 😂 that was a shit show.

RONDO264

FNG
Sounds better than the current December 1st fiasco. I’m a res, but have family members that are NR that have been screwed over a couple times with the online system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDVortex

WKR
Sounds better than the current December 1st fiasco. I’m a res, but have family members that are NR that have been screwed over a couple times with the online system.

Yup, ive had the issue with a couple of buddies not getting a tag.

Does anyone know how many NR applicants didn’t get tags during the Dec 1 fiasco this past year? Or what percentage got tags vs applied?

LFC911

WKR
Does anyone know how many NR applicants didn’t get tags during the Dec 1 fiasco this past year? Or what percentage got tags vs applied?

Thousands didn't get tags...the current process is OTC, not a draw. Hard to say what the % is since people were/could be logged into multiple devices to get a better place in line.

TheTone

WKR
Agreed it could make some big changes to the rest of the draw and could help non residents that want something besides the general season tags. I’d guess there are some elk and deer tags that demand would be low enough they might go as a second choice or even as a leftover

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the legislation out of it. Let the fish and game commission make these decisions. By allowing politicians a say in wildlife matters we end up with BS bills like this one where if an outfitter shoots a wolf they get a Moose/Sheep/Goat tag

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully it’s just a random draw if it passes.

Something I always thought would be good would be if those who didn’t get a tag the year before get 1 point in the next year but it’s capped at 1 point and 50% of the draw go to the 1 point applications and the other 50% are totally random. So it’s still mostly random but still gives the guys who didn’t get one the year before a better chance.

As unlikely as it is I hate the idea of somebody putting in to a completely random draw for 15 years and not getting a tag while others draw every year.

Last edited: