Idaho NR Draw Bill… thoughts?

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Im sure it’ll go to a draw eventually. There was a lot of frustration this year for people trying to get tags and that pool seems to grow every year. Just please, no points in any way shape or form.
Idaho already is a draw. You just all have to sit on your computers in real time for hours and painstakingly watch it play out. Guys fly in to watch the draw - hilarious.

Keep the legislation out of it. Let the fish and game commission make these decisions. By allowing politicians a say in wildlife matters we end up with BS bills like this one where if an outfitter shoots a wolf they get a Moose/Sheep/Goat tag
X10! Keep those jackwagons out of it.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
X10! Keep those jackwagons out of it.
In many states, the details of the draw/allocations are handled at the level of statutes, not regs. So, the legislature must be involved to make any changes.

In other states, those details have been delegated to the administrative agency and the agencies themselves can handle the details in regulations (as opposed to statute).

In many states, the details of the draw/allocations are handled at the level of statutes, not regs. So, the legislature must be involved to make any changes.

In other states, those details have been delegated to the administrative agency and the agencies themselves can handle the details in regulations (as opposed to statute).
True. But is this an ask from IFG to implement this or is this a legislator that has his greasy fingers in something that he thinks he needs to do? Complete destruction of muzzleloader hunts and handing out trophy species tags like candy come to mind.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
True. But is this an ask from IFG to implement this or is this a legislator that has his greasy fingers in something that he thinks he needs to do? Complete destruction of muzzleloader hunts and handing out trophy species tags like candy come to mind.
The legislator is doing his job. Legislating that NR tags must be distributed by a true DRAW.

Rather than using this current real time Dec. 1st mess where everyone participates in a real time draw as a human pawn. Flying in to Idaho in-person, opening up multiple browsers in incognito mode, etc...

People will laugh at Idaho less if HB 587 passes. I suspect IFG supports HB 587 as they cannot be happy with the current process.

@Jason Snyder brings up a good point. How will the general NR draw be implemented as in comparison to the standard resident controlled hunts? Will everything be in the May slot, or will there be the NR December general draw? Will returned NR tags be open for residents otc?

The legislator is doing his job. Legislating that NR tags must be distributed by a true DRAW.

Rather than using this current real time Dec. 1st mess where everyone participates in a real time draw as a human pawn. Flying in to Idaho in-person, opening up multiple browsers in incognito mode, etc...

People will laugh at Idaho less if HB 587 passes. I suspect IFG supports HB 587 as they cannot be happy with the current process.
Let em laugh all they want! They will still be there in line Dec 1st.

N8H

FNG
Let IDFG do IDFG things, and make those decisions with sportsman's input. Quite a few states have let legislation make changes, and eventually it ends up being that we, the sportsmen, get shorted.

For clarification, I have no real opinion on the idea, just opposed to where it's coming from. Plus, last I heard, IDFG likes how the Dec. 1 sale went and will keep making improvements, but it's not going away quite yet. It actually sounds like it went very well. Does it suck that there is possibly 90,000 people trying to get a very limited number if tags, yes! But just because you and I didnt get one, doesn't mean the system screwed us over; we lost against insurmountable odds. I dont think that going to an all-draw system would not change how it feels to lose fair and square.

For now, I just cross my fingers that this year will be my year...

S.Clancy

WKR
Do all of you talking about "I don't like the legislature handling this" people even know how these things work? Jesus.

As for the bill, it is a very good bill. The current system is functionally a draw, but one you have to attend and is able to be "hacked". A draw would waste less people's time and be fair, which the current system is not. The only reason you would argue against it is you are one of the people that is able to game the current system.

sasquatch

WKR
The current system would likely work real good if they just did away with the in person sales and put everyone on the same playing field

And then also, made you have to log in FIRST to THEN enter the “waiting room”. This would stop thousands of extra computers hitting the system at once with everyone using multiple computers etc etc.

But, if they won’t make the changes stated above, I’d rather a regular draw, no points, but there’s a non refundable App fee to help curb a bunch of applicants that realistically don’t plan on going. To then just return tags if allowed and create more drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Elkslut

FNG
Seems to be a better way than current. Or it will be just the newest thing for non res to complain about. No matter what program is in place, Idaho will always be sold out of tags. It is one of the best places to hunt, it's all based off opportunity. Coupled with a lottery you can enter every year, as opposed to points that some of us will never catch up to.
I still think we (Idaho) should raise prices to get more inline with all the other states.

Reactions: N8H

Elkslut

FNG
Something I always thought would be good would be if those who didn’t get a tag the year before get 1 point in the next year but it’s capped at 1 point and 50% of the draw go to the 1 point applications and the other 50% are totally random. So it’s still mostly random but still gives the guys who didn’t get one the year before a better chance.

As unlikely as it is I hate the idea of somebody putting in to a completely random draw for 15 years and not getting a tag while others draw every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinda like a resident putting into a controlled hunt for 30 years and not drawing.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
^ using multiple devices to try and get a lower #.

But the one that I don't understand the most. Is allowing non point sales to occur. It should be up to every individual to secure their own tag.

Im not a fan of trying to log on and get a tag during work hours. A person should have to sign into their account to enter the waiting room so only one number per person. No more multiple devices. Everyone should have to buy tags online, no other point of sales. If this can’t happen then let’s go draw without a points system!

Last edited:

N8H

FNG
^ using multiple devices to try and get a lower #.

But the one that I don't understand the most. Is allowing non point sales to occur. It should be up to every individual to secure their own tag.
I don't think you can call that a loophole if anyone can do it, and IDFG is well aware that the current system put in place allows for it, but that it is better than previous systems. It's part of the reason they are actively trying to build a system with a one-person-one-login system.

Also, they are looking to possibly limit the number of tags you can purchase when you go through the queue, as to avoid people buying a dozen tags for other people. Plus IDFG knows that they cant just tell 3rd party in-person vendors that they HAVE to limit the number of purchases one person can make, and that they would have to get in the back half the line to buy more.

It's almost like they think about these things and listen to our feedback.

87TT

WKR
All this makes me smile. The odds in a draw are going to be way less than the current system. At least now when you get in, if your first choice is sold out, you can make another. In a draw you're just out of luck. except if you want to try the really long shot of the second draw It will also cost more because you will have to buy a license to enter. And pay the app fee both times.