Idaho NR Draw Bill… thoughts?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
As a nonresident I’d support this. I do agree with others though in that it should be done by fish and game instead of the legislature. Also a random draw instead of point system.

On a side note, it’s nice to see a legislative bill that’s actually simple. A few sentences instead of a thousand pages of unrelated crap.

All this makes me smile. The odds in a draw are going to be way less than the current system. At least now when you get in, if your first choice is sold out, you can make another. In a draw you're just out of luck. except if you want to try the really long shot of the second draw It will also cost more because you will have to buy a license to enter. And pay the app fee both times.
I think you are right. At least now, you can still almost certainly pick up a deer tag if you are willing to be flexible. Buddies at the back of the line still had a few to choose from. With a draw you are SOL if you pick the “wrong” unit depending on how they structure it. Either way I think days of getting a tag in Idaho every year as a NR will be over soon.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
All this makes me smile. The odds in a draw are going to be way less than the current system. At least now when you get in, if your first choice is sold out, you can make another. ...
Wrong. Only some states use the model of only looking at first choice.

Some state draws (e.g, Nevada) allow the customer to put in five choices, in ranked order. And each choice is evaluated before moving on the next applicant.

HB587 does not specify what type of NR draw will be instituted. That level of detail will be left to IFG.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
As a nonresident I’d support this. I do agree with others though in that it should be done by fish and game instead of the legislature. Also a random draw instead of point system.
The details of the draw will be worked out at the agency level. The agency needs a statute change in order to develop a draw.

The current quasi-draw is being performed under the fallacy of calling these OTC tags. HB587 gives the agency the freedom to move to a full-fledge draw and stop pretending that this design is OTC with caps.

Wrong. Only some states use the model of only looking at first choice.

Some state draws (e.g, Nevada) allow the customer to put in five choices, in ranked order. And each choice is evaluated before moving on the next applicant.

HB587 does not specify what type of NR draw will be instituted. That level of detail will be left to IFG.
Every draw we currently do considers everyone's 1st choice and then move on to everyone's 2nd choice if any tags remain. No reason to think the proposed NR general draw would be any different.

N8H

FNG
The details of the draw will be worked out at the agency level. The agency needs a statute change in order to develop a draw.

The current quasi-draw is being performed under the fallacy of calling these OTC tags. HB587 gives the agency the freedom to move to a full-fledge draw and stop pretending that this design is OTC with caps.
Yes...because nothings says "freedom" better than being told by the government that you have to do it a certain way.

Also, legislation is very difficult and time consuming to reverse. If this idea was adopted by the fish and game commission WITHOUT it going to legislation, then a quick reversal (were it to not pan out as well as hoped) would be relatively easy.

wapitibob

WKR
I'm not applying in a random draw that requires a non refundable license up front, unless that license is dirt cheap. Give me an AZ or UT style bonus system and I'll pay a bit more. AZ costs me less than $100, which is about my limit. I haven't hunted ID since the early 80's so it's not like they'll miss me.

87TT

WKR
Every draw we currently do considers everyone's 1st choice and then move on to everyone's 2nd choice if any tags remain. No reason to think the proposed NR general draw would be any different.
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not applying in a random draw that requires a non refundable license up front, unless that license is dirt cheap. ...
Plenty of guys are buying the $69 annual hunting license to be in the random NM draw.

$185 for base NR Idaho license is more, but also getting more in draw odds than NM offers?

ranny

FNG
I grew up in Idaho and moved away as an adult- now I come back each year to hunt as a NR with my family that. I've definitely had my frustrations with the Dec 1 tag sale, but I hunt a unit that's not super popular and I've been able to get a tag each year. We also like to put in for some tough(ish) to draw controlled hunts and every once in awhile one of us gets lucky. If a new draw system for NR becomes part of the current "controlled hunt" draw system- so you had to use your "controlled hunt" application in order to get what is now a general tag- I would view that as a big negative. I'd rather keep the current system if that were the case.

Yes...because nothings says "freedom" better than being told by the government that you have to do it a certain way.

Also, legislation is very difficult and time consuming to reverse. If this idea was adopted by the fish and game commission WITHOUT it going to legislation, then a quick reversal (were it to not pan out as well as hoped) would be relatively easy.
IDFG is a government agency, so how does freedom parlay into this?

Also, IDFG NEEDS statutory authority to change how tags are sold. They cannot adopt it without legislation to allow them to move ahead.

87TT

WKR
IDFG is a government agency, so how does freedom parlay into this?

Also, IDFG NEEDS statutory authority to change how tags are sold. They cannot adopt it without legislation to allow them to move ahead.
Yeah, I think the can do it without the legislature, They changed the way the tags were spread over different units and made NR pick a unit without the state legislature telling them to.. This sounds like the legislature telling them to do a draw and letting them figure out the rules. If IDFG wanted a draw they would have asked for it.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
A common trend in this conversation has been very obvious support for a random draw.

Why are people favoring a completely random draw as opposed to a points system of any type?

tt280AI

FNG
No legislature involvement. I'd prefer no draw. If it does go to a draw, no points.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I'd rather sandblast a grizzlies ass while wearing a fresh salmon loincloth than start a point system.

I’m totally against a traditional points system where everyone ends up waiting 15 years for a tag. However I like the idea of giving 1 point to those who put in and didn’t draw the previous year, but cap it at 1 point so you don’t have a situation where 1 guy draws every single year for 15 years and another doesn’t draw once just because of dumb luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m totally against a traditional points system where everyone ends up waiting 15 years for a tag. However I like the idea of giving 1 point to those who put in and didn’t draw the previous year, but cap it at 1 point so you don’t have a situation where 1 guy draws every single year for 15 years and another doesn’t draw once just because of dumb luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slippery slope, we don't need to even flirt with the idea. 15 points is a joke in some states, I know several people with 25+ and they can't get the tags they want. It's a F'n ponzi scheme.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
Slippery slope, we don't need to even flirt with the idea. 15 points is a joke in some states, I know several people with 25+ and they can't get the tags they want. It's a F'n ponzi scheme.

I guess I can see that side of it, 1 point just leads to another change.

I know Utah has become ridiculous. LE hunts are practically once in a lifetime hunts now

IDVortex

WKR
Point systems suck, but then I also would hate for guys to apply for certain trophy units that have no true desire to be there vs the guy who's been trying to draw that tag. There's no perfect solution at the end of the day. You'll always have one group not happy, all they can do and we can do is try to mutually come to a agreement on what benefits the overall value and qauilty of hunting and health of the animals.