Idaho Fish & Game In-person Tag Sales Strategy

87TT

WKR
There is probably better ways to handle the situation but people will always want something else and life is not always fair. Changes can and probably will be made but people will find a way around it or be upset. From what I see, the computer system went smoother this year than last but now it's the in person buying that is the big boogyman. Unless the demand lowers? Not likely to make everyone happy.

Beendare

WKR
From what I saw, the computer system worked well.

In fact, my betis that all of the top 30 7nits were soldout by 10:20.

Did anyone get an elk tag in their unit after that?

LFC911

WKR
From what I saw, the computer system worked well.

In fact, my betis that all of the top 30 7nits were soldout by 10:20.

Did anyone get an elk tag in their unit after that?
I checked out at 11:36 MT with a tag that i plan to exchange down the road.

Archer86

WKR
Just incorporate it into the draw or make it online only and you can only buy for yourself kids spouse and you have to choose a otc capped tag or apply for limited quota tags

Everyone that lives close and drives to get there tags will be against either one since they loose there advantage but oh well.

Just think of the action we would see if wyoming adopted this system

Are people literally camping outside of license vendors? Like mid 2000s black friday type stuff?

How long had the people who were first in line there for?
Yes, and it snowed all night
Yes, this it exactly what is happening. The first guy in line at the Department's Headquarters Office on Walnut in Boise for the resident Sawtooth Zone sale claimed he had been there for four days!

It's only a matter of time before we start seeing these videos pop up.

Alternatively titled, "I CAMPED OUTSIDE THIS IDFG OFFICE FOR TWO WEEKS!!!"

I'm pro modify the current system, don't go to a draw.

IdahoPackDump.jpg

Z Barebow

WKR
Didn’t read all of this , but with the system screwing up every year . Just make all sales in person. Either you’re dedicated enough to be in line or know someone who is. The online sales are what make a mess of it.
IMHO. Hanging on to in person sales is a carry over from days gone by. States have been going away from in person and paper applications for efficiency.

I would suggest the Commission surveys other states to tally how many of them permit in person sales of NR tags. (Feel free to chime in if you know of any) Or you can call me on your bag phone. (Or landline your waiting for this cell phone fad to fade)

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
@Z Barebow just for clarification - how many other states allow the in-person sale of NR tags to Residents/or Proxy tag holders?

Oregon you're able to purchase OTC, otherwise it's a draw, NR needs to be in person
MT you're able to purchase B tags in person, but Gen and LE Permits are all draw
WY some cow tags are purchasable in person, but Gen and LE are all draw
I could keep going... but not sure if that's exactly what you meant.

CorbLand

WKR
IMHO. Hanging on to in person sales is a carry over from days gone by. States have been going away from in person and paper applications for efficiency.

I would suggest the Commission surveys other states to tally how many of them permit in person sales of NR tags. (Feel free to chime in if you know of any) Or you can call me on your bag phone. (Or landline your waiting for this cell phone fad to fade)
Utah allows for in person tag purchases for OTC and left over tags.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Oregon you're able to purchase OTC, otherwise it's a draw, NR needs to be in person
You can purchase in-person for others in Oregon, but there is no longer an advantage now that the system is electronic (app) or print-at-home tags, but I did it several times back before that.

Z Barebow

WKR
@Z Barebow just for clarification - how many other states allow the in-person sale of NR tags to Residents/or Proxy tag holders?

MT you're able to purchase B tags in person, but Gen and LE Permits are all draw
WY some cow tags are purchasable in person, but Gen and LE are all draw
I could keep going... but not sure if that's exactly what you meant.
How many states issue NR tags to non residents. (Apologize as I should have been more specific)

And recognize I may be veering off topic. Maybe not as if a state has OTC NR tags, I understand purchasing in person as an option(EX CO) But CO does NOT cap NR sales (Currently).

The days of an Idaho NR stopping by the local license vendor the day before season to buy a tag are GONE.

Why would/should Idaho still offer this purchasing method for an NR tag???

I recognize residents can/should have in person options. It is your state and you should have that additional capability to buy any resident tag (or unused NR/outfitter tag).

87TT

WKR
"Why would/should Idaho still offer this purchasing method for an NR tag???"

Because some people want to, period. Maybe a short drive or flight is more convenient. Not everyone loves online sales. And it spreads out the process.

The states that allow in-person purchase of NR licenses (with the exception of ID) are selling unlimited OTC or leftover tags that have made it through a couple of draws. They are not selling high demand nor limited tags. "Why not??", you may ask yourself. It's because it can't work in a fair and efficient manner.

Once Idaho went to allocated NR tags, the usefulness of the current tag sales system ended. And, saying that it's just due to increased demand doesn't seem to hold water. Using NR controlled hunt applicants as a rough gauge for demand (it's about the best we have because there was no way to track how many people were trying to get the OTC tags prior to 2021), demand was significantly higher in 19-20 than 21-23.