Idaho archery elk

Eroc76

FNG
Hey guys hows it going, I'm looking to head back to idaho this year for my second solo archery elk hunt, hunted in 2017 in the panhandle. Looking to hunt down south this year, units 61, 66a, or 76 just do to sats on fish and game website but open to any suggestions and helpful advise would be appreciated. thank you

elkguide

WKR
As was said, Diamond Creek is not available this year and has lots of pressure. Plenty of other areas and lots of different terrain and dates. Keep looking at the F&G website and good luck.

ElkNut1

WKR
All elk units have elk. Don't make your 1st decision based on stats/elknumbers or hunter #. Look for terrain that suits your physical condition & hunting partners condition, this means you can hunt it 10 days straight with no rests day needed. You could choose a unit by elk # but will do you little good if you cannot get to them to hunt because of steepness/roughness! -- Next, do you want a roaded area or an area with few roads & trail heads? You can now ask the local Biologist where such areas can be found if needed, he will have little issue pointing you to areas of interest. This is how you proceed to locating a unit that fits the bill. Once you have a unit/zone you're looking for now dissect it & locate the elky areas via Internet/Iphone mapping apps. Choose 6-8 areas. These areas can be a 1/4 mile to 2-3 miles from roads, No need to go in further once you know what you're looking for! No need to bivy either unless you just want too.

Too many elk hunters get caught up on asking about Elk # & Hunter #, don't be concerned with that, you will be hunting where most hunters would not find as most take the easy way out & start most their days from access areas such as Trails & roads or gated roads! (unless you choose roaded areas) As a newer hunter with no inside tips you will need to locate your own elk areas. Now's the time to do your homework, don't think the F&G will do it for you! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

Eroc76

FNG
Didn't know they sold out so fast, wow. I really appreciate the help and info guys thank you, time to get to work. Physical fitness isn't an issue and i love packing in, so ill just have to do some map studying and go from there. Learned a lot last time i went so I'm super excited to say the least for this trip.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
You will be in the heart of grizzly country in unit 61. Something to keep in mind. You can’t safely leave an elk out overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stats are often highly deceiving. Some units have more or less outfitters, private land, horse hunters, or road hunters. A statistically significant presence of any of those factors will change what the likelihood of success would be for an average DIY hunter on public land.

First, find places that have decent elk numbers. Second, find terrain you want to hunt.

I basically agree with Paul on everything, just wanted to add a piece of the puzzle that's meaningful for me.

Going from the Idaho panhandle to southern Idaho is like going from Venus to Mars. Completely different terrain, elevation, and elk behavior. If you found elk in the panhandle, I'd try it a few more times before giving up.

Rohnson23

FNG
I’m with bluetick, if you’ve found elk keep trying. I think the saying goes “don’t leave elk to find out.”