IADNR bans cell cam "scouting" during hunting season

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Calling me a stereotype without articulation after a one sentence response is just word salad for you not having a point. There has got to be a massive correlation between reading people poorly on no information and feeling entitled to make decisions for them.

I've DIY hunted Whitetails in over 20 states and 3 provinces, 7 last year. Only 2 of the Canadian hunts we're guided because that's the law. P&Y sized bucks haven't been special in a long time, In fact about 2 hours from now a buck that's near 125" already will be at my wife's bird feeder. PA, Vt and NW Ontario big woods tracking.. Done it. North Florida, and Alabama Pine plantations... Been there. Sitting Energy cuts in Alberta and Saskatchewan... Sure. Western glassing and copious land ownership determination... Yup. I love Cell cams because I own land in IL, IN, and Mi. with KS. soon to follow so knowing what's going on up to 750 miles from home matters. I've also hunted another 25 odd species of big game mostly DIY and mostly spot and stalk so long as you're conjecting my experience.

This law is 100% some people want to control what other people do. There is Zero documented support cell cams have any negative macro impact on Whitetail deer. In fact, a very solid case can be made age structures are universally improved allowing the strongest and most diverse genetics to be propagated.

You Failed.
You gave a thoughtless, one sentence, response full of braggadocio that deserved the answer it received.

Now that you've told me a little more about yourself, congrats on all your accomplishments, wealth, and experience. Kudos to you for all the opportunities you've had to do what all us jealous guys could only dream of doing. I had no idea that P&Y bucks are no longer considered worthy, and perhaps you should lobby the organization to have it's minimums increased since they are routinely exceeded by the masses these days. I'm grateful that they show up at your bird feeder as well and am glad you and your wife get to enjoy such nice, albeit unremarkable according to you, pets.

If there was ever an authority I would choose to appeal to on this matter it would be you, as my experiences, opinions, and successes in the woods pale in comparison to yours.

Given all the expertise you cited, it is clear to me now that I indeed failed, and if you feel like near real-time electronic surveillance and pursuit of bucks is fair chase, then by God its settled. After all you've done it all, and your opinion is above reproach.

All sarcasm aside, for the record, I never mentioned anything about whitetail population dynamics and macro impacts. Cell cams are not going to be the end of deer hunting. Simply put, near real-time electronic surveillance that enables the targeted pursuit of trophy bucks provides a technological advantage to hunters that whitetails cannot overcome. I don't need a study to tell me these practices are wrong. However, you're more than welcome to keep whackin' and stackin' booners and bragging to folks about how you killed them.

N2TRKYS

WKR
L
I think you mean, “…leave me alone and let me hunt “my” deer.”

The problem with your attitude and many other folks is that they’re NOT YOUR deer.

Hunting the way you hunt gives an unfair advantage to you over your neighbors but most importantly the deer.

Running cell cams to gain the advantage in killing trophy bucks is akin to running forward facing sonar on a bass boat to target trophy bass. However, you can’t catch and release deer.

You’re making an awful lot of assumptions. Unfortunately for you, they’re all wrong.

You come across heavy with the jealousy of others vibe.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
You’re making an awful lot of assumptions. Unfortunately for you, they’re all wrong.

You come across heavy with the jealousy of others vibe.
Not jealous.

Grateful.

Sorry for bad pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 31

Yoder

WKR
After covid I am about sick and tired of people making up bullshit rules I'm supposed to follow just because they said so. No data or actual science, just feelings. Like, it hurts my feelings that guys are killing big bucks with cell cams and don't work as hard as me, boo hoo. How about you just don't use them and leave me alone? No, that's not how liberals work. They want everything their way and everyone is supposed to embrace it. I'm using my cell cams. Come and take them.

Bluefish

WKR
Here is my $.02, if you consider air surveillance, either aircraft or drone, to not be fair chase. how are real time cameras any different? Put up enough of them and your essentially surveilling a property. I am ok with a delay so it’s not real time, but how do you enforce it? Same with a limit on a number of cameras. Saying you can’t use them becomes the only option for enforcement.
By saying no leaving cameras overnight on public land, it’s easier to enforce. If the camera is there at midnight it’s illegal. No gray area.
In the end it was a few people using technology in a new way that ended it for everyone.

goalie

FNG
After covid I am about sick and tired of people making up bullshit rules I'm supposed to follow just because they said so. No data or actual science, just feelings. Like, it hurts my feelings that guys are killing big bucks with cell cams and don't work as hard as me, boo hoo. How about you just don't use them and leave me alone? No, that's not how liberals work. They want everything their way and everyone is supposed to embrace it. I'm using my cell cams. Come and take them.
So, are you saying no rules apply to you regarding tech used to see, track, spot game?

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I’ve gone above and beyond attempting to make this about the deer, not people or feelings. I’m not getting through to some folks and that’s fine.

If the only way some folks can enjoy hunting is by “knocking over giants” by whatever advantage necessary, for the sake of their reputation, or for likes on social media than go for it.

Peace out and good luck this fall.

goalie

FNG
Cool story. Judging other folks cause they don’t hunt the way you think they should is lame.
Um, no

The whole idea that you can't judge the actions of others is BS.

I'll damn sure judge slob hunters, poachers and posers.

N2TRKYS

WKR
And real time cameras will be too. That's kinda the whole point of the discussion.
Will be and are are two different things. And actually that’s not the point of the discussion. You being wrong for wanting to tell folks that they should hunt the way you see fit on their own land is the point of the conversation.

goalie

FNG
Will be and are are two different things. And actually that’s not the point of the discussion. You being wrong for wanting to tell folks that they should hunt the way you see fit on their own land is the point of the conversation.
Actually, I'm saying that if you're using real time cameras to alert you so you can drop everything and go shoot an animal at a known location, you're NOT hunting.

BLJ

WKR
Actually, I'm saying that if you're using real time cameras to alert you so you can drop everything and go shoot an animal at a known location, you're NOT hunting.
I’m not trying to intentionally add to the animosity here. Just another perspective. Not I intentionally going after @goalie. Full disclosure.

But if you were driving on public/private land and saw a (insert booner of your choice here) standing where it could legally be killed after just jumping out of the truck, would you drive past it?

goalie

FNG
I’m not trying to intentionally add to the animosity here. Just another perspective. Not I intentionally going after @goalie. Full disclosure.

But if you were driving on public/private land and saw a (insert booner of your choice here) standing where it could legally be killed after just jumping out of the truck, would you drive past it
Lol, let's pretend that is anything like what we're discussing.