I won a set of GAS bowstrings during the 2020 Cold bow challenge...here’s my thoughts

TravisIN

WKR
I wanted to put up a review on GAS bowstrings. For the last 4 years I’ve only used America’s Best Bowstrings and have been happy with them. They were great, the company was great to deal with the one time I had serving separation on a fairly new set. I had no plans on switching brands. Prior to ABB I had used 60x, vaportrails, fuse, and a couple from individual makers. I was going through two sets of strings every 12-18 months. I shoot a lot and year round. Im also hard on gear and probably don’t wax my strings nearly as often as I should.
Last year after the Cold Bow Challenge I was lucky enough to win a new set of strings. Initially I thought about getting a set for my backup bow since I knew what I had with ABB and didn’t want to switch. But I figured I might as well give them a shot and put them on my RX1. When I got them they looked good and specs were on point. The serving looked excellent. So first impressions were good. I put them on and got the bow tuned. A little background on that. I do all my own bow work, build my own arrows the whole gauntlet with that. I paper tune initially, then sight in, then go broadhead tuning. I want multiple types fixed broadheads grouping at 100. This year I worked with iron will solids and evolution Jekylls. Both are great heads so that helps that process a lot. Anyways I had made the comment to my wife this summer that this was probably one of the best setups I’ve ever had, I mean driving tacks and had a crazy amount of confidence with the set up. Prior years I’d have things dialed and then one day go out and be hitting a little high or low and would haves to make “minor” adjustments. I always chalked it up to me being inconsistencies with me. Thinking I was changing anchor point or my execution slightly. I did it have that this year. Maybe it was just a coincidence and I was just getting better. I figured it’d happen later during the season. I’ll add, I didn’t change anything else on my setup. Same way of trying d loop, serving prep, etc.
So as the season comes and goes, with countless days up and down trees, being thrown in the back seat of the truck (never use a case ), stuck in vines and branches while pulling up a tree, hot weather cold weather pouring rain, and snow, nothing changed. Everything is still driving tacks and shooting broadheads great. I killed a doe on opening day and filled my fifth and last tag on December 28. The strings and serving still look great. I wanted to give them a good beating and a fair amount of time before i posted anything about them. I’m very confident you’ll be happy with a set of them. Below are some pics of the bow and of some deer I shot with this rig this year. I’ll attach a link a video of a buck I shot in December. By the way I’m shooting an rx1, hamskea hybrid hunter, spot Hogg Hogg father5 pin with Easton axis pro 300 with 75 grain insert, 100 grain head, four aae Max stealth vanes, 4 inch wrap, and nockturnal lighted nock. The only change in the past 3 years has been the switch to gas strings.
Can’t wait until the next CBC. Make sure you get involved with it. Thank to rokslide for putting it on and thanks to GAS bowstrings for putting up some strings. I will be definitely be ordering plenty more sets for you guys!

2efac9992ae8363721f2488e28852b84.jpg

6902fc06127cac7b4ef4306ba2336f86.jpg

d58aea47ee69f35b8a601472e5f2114a.jpg

0cf43d7c23484cab9e8e5b22aa993289.jpg

9f8f572ba91b94c8638577a75bd4826a.jpg

dc19063d835ed3163c1eba48dbe4df5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always wanted to try Gas. I'm glad to hear that they actually live up to the hype. Congratulations on the freezer full as well!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
I really like the Gas Ghost strings on my rx4u. Seems to really hold up well.

Great review and vid! thanks for sharing.

CB4

WKR
Great write up. I am waiting on a set of GAS strings for my new V3, hopefully will be shipping within the week!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey man thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. Always helpful. I’ll pass your thoughts along to the guys that GAS.

DOMMA

FNG
I had GAS string on my RX-3u, very well made, zero peep rotation or server separation, quality strings.

That’s one heckuva testimony. They withstood the use and abuse you give! Going to be checking out Gas to replace the stock strings on my V3.
Thanks for the great review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That’s one heckuva testimony. They withstood the use and abuse you give! Going to be checking out Gas to replace the stock strings on my V3.
Thanks for the great review.

how you liking that V3? we just published a review on it from @les welch and he loves his.

how you liking that V3? we just published a review on it from @les welch and he loves his.

I did see Les’ review! I shot everything I could get in my hands. The V3 checked all the boxes. I went with the 27” as I like the shorter ATA. Plus, I hunt in some pretty thick brush from the ground.
This bow, in my opinion, draws consistent, nice valley and back wall. The shot is what put me over the top. The release just felt fluid to me. That, and it was 100% dead in my hands.
I have been shooting the strings off this since I bought it in December. Still moving it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I did see Les’ review! I shot everything I could get in my hands. The V3 checked all the boxes. I went with the 27” as I like the shorter ATA. Plus, I hunt in some pretty thick brush from the ground.
This bow, in my opinion, draws consistent, nice valley and back wall. The shot is what put me over the top. The release just felt fluid to me. That, and it was 100% dead in my hands.
I have been shooting the strings off this since I bought it in December. Still moving it.

Hey good to hear. Hopefully will see you in the CBC this year with that bow. I would’ve picked the 27 inch too.

CB4

WKR
I will say I am less than impressed with GAS so far. Warning I have no used the product YET.

Placed an order on 2/10 with a ship date of 3/4. I called on 3/5 to check on the status and they said due to weather that they were a week to week and a half behind. Just called again and same story but they are still 2 weeks out from making my strings, so a total delay of 3-3.5 weeks on orders. I am willing to wait for quality but they better be good.

If I knew that string will take 6+ weeks to get to me I would have accepted it and not posted this but want to warn others.

Zac

WKR
I will say I am less than impressed with GAS so far. Warning I have no used the product YET.

Placed an order on 2/10 with a ship date of 3/4. I called on 3/5 to check on the status and they said due to weather that they were a week to week and a half behind. Just called again and same story but they are still 2 weeks out from making my strings, so a total delay of 3-3.5 weeks on orders. I am willing to wait for quality but they better be good.

If I knew that string will take 6+ weeks to get to me I would have accepted it and not posted this but want to warn others.
I've used about everything out there. Threadz is by far the fastest. They begin building your set the day you call. ABB is also fairly quick. However if your in a pinch you can ask Threadz to overnight them and you can have a set in a few days. I prefer ABB these days just because they are the only brand I've found that clocks right.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR

Yea I can’t comment on the speed of shipping bc I wasn’t really paying attention. ABB is super fast and you will get them in like a week or less if I remember. But I’ve had string makers take a good long while in the other side of that also.

bsnedeker

WKR

So I ordered my strings exactly a week after you did...the website at that time said they were 6 weeks out. I just called them today and they told me they are just starting on orders that came in the first week of Feb. Interesting they said you were two weeks out because that's what they told me as well...I'd assume you were one week out. I guess we'll see! I'm in no rush because Hoyt is taking their sweet time shipping my new Ventum 33 to my dealer...ordered that almost 2 months ago and was supposed to get it in 2 weeks!

Zac

WKR
So I ordered my strings exactly a week after you did...the website at that time said they were 6 weeks out. I just called them today and they told me they are just starting on orders that came in the first week of Feb. Interesting they said you were two weeks out because that's what they told me as well...I'd assume you were one week out. I guess we'll see! I'm in no rush because Hoyt is taking their sweet time shipping my new Ventum 33 to my dealer...ordered that almost 2 months ago and was supposed to get it in 2 weeks!
I put a set of ABB Plats on my 33 out of boredom. However the Fuse strings were holding up fantastic. I had almost no peep rotation and the timing stayed solid after around 400 shots.

bsnedeker

WKR
I put a set of ABB Plats on my 33 out of boredom. However the Fuse strings were holding up fantastic. I had almost no peep rotation and the timing stayed solid after around 400 shots.
Yeah, I debated it for a couple weeks before I pulled the trigger. I figured it probably isn't the worst idea to have a set of back-up strings right out the gate so I'll use the GAS strings and then have the factory strings as a backup.

The gods don't want me shooting bows this spring apparently...blew up my regular bow, ordered a new bow, parts for old bow are taking forever, new bow is taking forever, AND I just broke a rib skiing this weekend so I probably couldn't shoot even if I had a bow! CBC is going to be interesting this year!

KHNC

WKR
I won a set two years ago, in the Extreme Bowhunter Challenge, and put them on my BT Reckoning. I have had the same experience as you . GAS strings are excellent. I will be replacing the factory strings on my Revolt X with them before long this year.