I stopped by Bass Pro Shops on my way home yesterday. This is insanity!

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone explain to me how this is Biden’s fault? Seems to me demand outstrips supply and companies increase prices.
I was going to explain why it was his fault but I had the answer to that question written down on my little 3"x5" card but I lost it so I can not answer now. I'll look around for it if I don't fall down the steps first and hit my head.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
It’s not that he made our powder more expensive, but our dollars cheaper. His so called inflation control act did the opposite of controlling inflation. It flooded the world with extra dollars and his other policies, like curbing oil extraction, have hamstrung the economy’s ability to keep production of goods and services up with the increase in dollars.

Nothing is more expensive these days. Our dollars are just worth less.

Here is the pay of top CEOs in 2022.

TickerCompanyCEOYearCEO Pay Sort ascending
BX Blackstone Inc. Stephen Schwarzman 2022 $253,122,146
GOOG Alphabet Inc. Sundar Pichai 2022 $225,985,145
HTZ Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. Stephen Scherr 2022 $182,136,137
PTON Peloton Interactive, Inc. Barry Mccarthy 2022 $168,073,420
PANW Palo Alto Networks Inc. Nikesh Arora 2023 $151,425,203
LYV Live Nation Entertainment, Inc. Michael Rapino 2022 $139,005,565
SRPT Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc. Douglas Ingram 2022 $124,938,694
PINS Pinterest, Inc. Bill Ready 2022 $122,651,735
LAW CS Disco, Inc. Kiwi Camara 2022 $109,531,440
WDAY Workday, Inc. Aneel Bhusri 2023 $102,685,309
AAPL Apple Inc. Tim Cook 2022 $99,420,097
S Sentinelone, Inc. Tomer Weingarten 2022 $95,395,534
LAZR Luminar Technologies, Inc. Austin Russell 2022 $93,915,469
DOCU Docusign, Inc. Allan Thygesen 2023 $85,035,380
KKR Kkr & Co. Inc. Joseph Bae 2022 $79,999,836
ZM Zoom Video Communications, Inc. Eric Yuan 2023 $75,959,683
AIG American International Group, Inc. Peter Zaffino 2022 $75,314,199
PGNY Progyny, Inc. Peter Anevski 2022 $68,580,072
BOWL Bowlero Corp. Thomas Shannon 2022 $67,566,882
AVGO Broadcom Inc. Hock Tan 2022 $60,606,971

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
And to think his latest move is to turn the military into all electric. Ya right, he wants to run tanks on electric. Boy, what a great military mind. I suppose he is planning to have charging stations in the jungles and deserts on the way to the enemy. Give me the good old days when I paid $ 15 for a pound of powder for reloading, $ .25 for a gallon of gas, $ .25 for a pack of Lucky Strikes and $ .50 for a bottle of beer , my 67 Chevelle Super Sport 396 brand new that I paid cash for with money I saved from Vietnam only cost me $2800.00 cash, out the door and I even let my Dad drive it home since his mouth was watering. Dam, life was good.

Rob5589

WKR
Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday was around 45/lb. Not great but far better than BPS, which has always been higher priced from what I've experienced.

WRO

WKR
It’s the military industrial complex getting paid..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Can someone explain to me how this is Biden’s fault? Seems to me demand outstrips supply and companies increase prices.
If you have zero understanding of how supply and demand in a global market affect price, it is not hard….

Blue_dog

FNG
If you have zero understanding of how supply and demand in a global market affect price, it is not hard….
Well school me then, please - did Biden's policies or laws he signed increase demand or decrease supply? Someone on here blamed the two wars. I'd agree that war increase global inflation - mostly due to supply shocks.

I honestly wanted to know an answer to my question because certain things in the economy have gotten more expensive at a faster rate than inflation. Is powder or ammo one of them?

Well, the Fed keeps track of all this so there is a way to figure this out. The price of ammunition has slightly outpaced general inflation over the past five years, increasing by 21.4% compared to a 20.4% increase in the general inflation rate over the last 5 years.

The demand side: Real personal consumption expenditures: Durable goods: Sporting equipment, supplies, guns, and ammunition increased steadily. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DSPGRX1A020NBEA

This looks like spending by the gov't on small arms looks to be pretty cyclical with a bunch of spending in the late teens and spike around Ukraine and now its on the decline: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/B781RL1Q225SBEA

Lastly here is what ammo manufacturers are charging: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCU332992332992

wyosteve

WKR
It's no different than hotels during Super Bowl, Sturgis or any other big event. Charge what the traffic will bear.

z987k

WKR
I think it is a false shortage. Nitrocellulose is EXTREMELY easy to produce. You can literally make it on your stove top. The two wars that are going on are using, comparatively, very little small arms. Even considering tank an cannon rounds, the usage is no where close to large wars. During the larger wars, the supply side wasn't affected because manufacturers upped their production.
Ya, it's easy to make gun cotton at home, but to make a reliable stable product is another thing.

MattB

WKR
Well school me then, please - did Biden's policies or laws he signed increase demand or decrease supply? Someone on here blamed the two wars. I'd agree that war increase global inflation - mostly due to supply shocks.

I honestly wanted to know an answer to my question because certain things in the economy have gotten more expensive at a faster rate than inflation. Is powder or ammo one of them?

Well, the Fed keeps track of all this so there is a way to figure this out. The price of ammunition has slightly outpaced general inflation over the past five years, increasing by 21.4% compared to a 20.4% increase in the general inflation rate over the last 5 years.

The demand side: Real personal consumption expenditures: Durable goods: Sporting equipment, supplies, guns, and ammunition increased steadily. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DSPGRX1A020NBEA

This looks like spending by the gov't on small arms looks to be pretty cyclical with a bunch of spending in the late teens and spike around Ukraine and now its on the decline: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/B781RL1Q225SBEA

Lastly here is what ammo manufacturers are charging: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCU332992332992
Two wars coupled with the limited options for certain inputs (one of which in particular - China - is aligned with Russia) has created a global shortage of gunpowder. Simple economics states that when supply declines, the price increases. People wrongly associate that price increase with domestic inflation.

1716224087328.png

roymunson

WKR
Wow... This disinigrated quickly.

Biden and powder prices... Everyone freaking out about an extra 15% for powder. Have you bought a vehicle, milk, or literally anything else in the last 5 years? Both the R and the D flooded the market with free dollars and diluted it. It's basic economics.

But i'd recommend you buy as much as you can now. Doubt its coming down.

BigNate

WKR
Never mind buying gunpowder.

You better be braced for economic collapse. We're far past the tipping point of self destruction and economists have been warning the fed reserve is propping up the economy with smoke and mirrors.

Why is this sitting administration send our money to the Ukraine and there is no accountability?
I could go on and on, but I'm mostly preaching to the choir.

roymunson

WKR
I think he's talking about reloading components, ammo, etc
the concept applies across the board. But whatever... Prices go up. If reloading is a significant portion of your budget, maybe don't reload. I don't know many people who suddenly became millionaires when the price of eggs dropped again.