I see they are discontinuing the swarovski el range.

cerec_cat

FNG
Now I am really confused. Should I get some el's with a separate rangefinder, a different brand of rangefinder binos ie zeiss or leica, or wait to see the new swarovski offering?

colonel00

WKR
Well, if you are interested, check the link in my signature. My buddy had me list his EL Range binos here for sale. I am sure he would listen to reasonable offers.

OP
cerec_cat

cerec_cat

FNG
Well, if you are interested, check the link in my signature. My buddy had me list his EL Range binos here for sale. I am sure he would listen to reasonable offers.

Kind of hate buying something discontinued, why is he selling?

colonel00

WKR
I just think that he can't justify keeping them. Living here in Kansas, aside from some whitetail hunting, he only goes on a backcountry or long range hunt every year or every other year. The binos are awesome but it's a lot of money tied up in something just sitting in the closet most of the year. Same reason I haven't bough them of of him and similar reasoning as to why I still cannot pull the trigger on a nice spotting scope.

Retterath

WKR
Does anyone know why they are discontinued this model? Are they having problems? That surprises me because having a bino/rangefinder is very nice.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would bet they are redesigning theirs. It wasn't Bowhunter friendly, it wasn't accurate for bow hunters due to the formula to convert meters to yards and I don't think it sold very well.

WRO

WKR
As I understand it, the new model will be out in march/april with some tweaks, no details released yet.

They've sold like hot cakes and have been very successful. As I understand it, there is some exciting stuff coming out. As for bow hunters, it just skipped a yard on the 7's or 9's as I remember it.. Not really that much of an issue, the issue was the 33 yard minimum range.

Kody

FNG
I have heard that they are getting out of the rangefinders all together. I am not sure if there is truth to that.

colonel00

WKR
Does anyone have an actual link to any announcement of this? I want to pass the info on to my buddy.

Shrek

WKR
They weren't really competitive with the Leica rangefinder technology so I'm betting you will see a new model handheld and binocular integrated rangefinder. I can't see swarovski leaving the market or settling for second place.

OP
cerec_cat

cerec_cat

FNG
I like the concept of the combo unit. I worry that if there was to be a problem, it would be on the rangefinder end. Do you guys recommend the combo or separate optics?

Retterath

WKR
Another think that I heard was that the angle inclination didn't consider angle till 100 yards unless that was the Leica geovid B's

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Swaros had no inclination adjustment until after 100, from 50-100 yards they could be up to 2 yards off. This was due to the conversion from meters to yards. This made it a good product for rifle hunters but it fell short with bow hunters.

I wonder if the price on the older models will come down when the new ones come out. I have been looking at these, but....ouch

Shrek

WKR
The laser guides have been gone from most online retailers for months now so I wouldn't count on a lot of inventory being dumped. There might be a deal to be had here or there though.

Shrek

WKR
I think the announcement went to dealers to let them know to move their inventory. Nothing has been said about the Lazer Guides either but they are out of stock most places I've looked. You will see new products soon but they are trying to sell all existing inventory beforehand.

rodney482

WKR
I do know there are patents involved with binoculars with built in RF. Swarovski does not hold the patent.