I see they are discontinuing the swarovski el range.

OP
cerec_cat

cerec_cat

FNG
Well, my situation is this... Wife bought me the vortex rangefinder for Christmas, if I don't go combo, will upgrade to the Leica, get some 10x42 els. Definitely would rather have the combo unit, think I would be much easier and quicker due to easy access. Wish I had a rough idea how much the new Swaro combo unit would set me back.

Shrek

WKR
Cerec_cat , electronics break and the warranty is relatively short on the rangefinder while the optics are good for decades. Unless $3000 dollars is no big deal to you I'd keep my rangefinder and binoculars separate. Jmo

I prefer separate units for bowhunting as it is much easier to hold the bow and one hand range for me with the small units. I am talking mountain hunting. If the perfect combined unit comes out I will likely buy it, but for now it is Swaro binos and a Leuopold rangefinder. Works very well for my use.

Cerec_cat , electronics break and the warranty is relatively short on the rangefinder while the optics are good for decades. Unless $3000 dollars is no big deal to you I'd keep my rangefinder and binoculars separate. Jmo

This X2. As fair as I know Vortex is the only RF with a lifetime warranty. Most others are 1-3 years.

That being said, you can spend your money a lot better than on the vortex IMHO.

WRO

WKR
The Swaros had no inclination adjustment until after 100, from 50-100 yards they could be up to 2 yards off. This was due to the conversion from meters to yards. This made it a good product for rifle hunters but it fell short with bow hunters.

Your thinking of the Leicas, the Swaro's start at 33 and went to 1000.

+/- 2 yards only makes a difference if you are throwing a spear, in real world hunting situations it doesn't matter.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I am not. The swaros didn't have the inclination under a 100 yards, the adjustment for incline only worked after 100. The binoculars are always not just for hunting. The idea of 79 verse 77 does to come into play when shooting targets and having to hit the center.

WRO

WKR
No I am not. The swaros didn't have the inclination under a 100 yards, the adjustment for incline only worked after 100. The binoculars are always not just for hunting. The idea of 79 verse 77 does to come into play when shooting targets and having to hit the center.

The 1600B leica won't do angle comp under 100, the EL range will. Next time you are at the store, test it out.

I always sight in my bow with the range finder I use hunting, between the brands there is up to 4 yards variation at 50. (the Germans are all the same, the rest are all over the place)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I stand corrected on the inclination portion. They still have a terrible method for converting the read meters into yards and are not ideal for bow hunters.

WRO

WKR
I stand corrected on the inclination portion. They still have a terrible method for converting the read meters into yards and are not ideal for bow hunters.

I'll agree on the 33 yards not being ideal for bow hunters (the reason I don't use them for bow hunting, that and I like a smaller range finder for easier use)

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've never actually used a set in the field and your just regurgitating what you read on some other forum..

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually no, I owned a pair for about a month. I love Swaros and bought a pair. It didn't take long to figure out some of the downfalls.

I called Swaro and the said their rangefinder reads in meters always, then it calculates that reading to meters, but only in whole numbers. This led to ranges routinely 2 yards of at the yard ages under 100. This formula was not the most accurate. For hunting no problem, for target archery where 1 or 2 points is the difference of winning it being 4th it was critical. So now I run the 12x50 el's.

I have rarely regurgitated anything related to a review of a product. I also tried the Zeiss rangefinder binocular, but have yet to try the Leica.

Retterath

WKR
So the 1600b rangefinder would be worthless if u want angle inclination for bowhunting? WRO- are u talking about the bino/rangefinder? Will the 1600b rangefinder,handheld rangefinder do angle under a 100 for bowhunters

WRO

WKR
So the 1600b rangefinder would be worthless if u want angle inclination for bowhunting? WRO- are u talking about the bino/rangefinder? Will the 1600b rangefinder,handheld rangefinder do angle under a 100 for bowhunters

I don't know on the Geovid's, the 1600b won't do angle comp under 110. The leica 1000r will, but the comp stops at 550.

Rosin my apologies, the interwebs is full of people who have opinions with no experience. I've only used them rifle hunting as I think they are a little big for close in situations. (and the RF button is on the wrong side)

I'll be interested to see your review on the HD-B's.. I've only played with them in the store, I had a set of non hd geovid's for a while, my only complaint with them was light transmission.

Retterath

WKR
Well my plan was getting the handheld rangefinder 1600b so I could use it for long range rifle hunting and also for bowhunting but now I'm not sure what to do cause I wanted it for bowhunting with angle comp but if it don't start angle comp till 100 yards I don't know what to do now? A 45 yard shot with bow at a pretty decent angle is definitely going to have a point of impact difference right? What are your thoughts on a rangefinder.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn't much hunting going on right now, so if you can wait I would. The SHOT Show starts on January 9th I think and there may be more information on new products then.

Kotaman

WKR
I'm anxious to see "what's new". I've owned/ used extensively in the field the EL Ranges, Leica Geovids, Zeiss Victory RF and currently the Leica HD B's.

*Geovids - Mine never worked great. Sent them in twice, eventually sold them as binos. No angle comp. Range button on wrong side.
*Zeiss RF - IMO the best rangefinder bar none. If they would come with angle comp, I would own them again. Sold to a buddy and he has used the heck out of them.
*Swaro EL Range - no range under 33, but had angle comp. Mine were REALLY sketchy in cold temps. (Below zero) Gave them to Desert Sheep guide as a tip.
*Leica HD B - I like these. However, no angle comp under 100. They work great in sub zero and the range unit is a close second to the Zeiss. Rangefinder button is on "the right" side. Though not perfect, they are close. If they would angle comp under 100 they would be close to perfect.

If someone comes with a combo unit that does it all, I may bite, if I can sell the HD B's without taking a "bath"... If not, the HD B's will suffice.

I should add, I will never be without a combo unit. I did a Coues deer hunt this year with my Swarovski 15's and a handheld unit and hated it.

WRO

WKR
Well my plan was getting the handheld rangefinder 1600b so I could use it for long range rifle hunting and also for bowhunting but now I'm not sure what to do cause I wanted it for bowhunting with angle comp but if it don't start angle comp till 100 yards I don't know what to do now? A 45 yard shot with bow at a pretty decent angle is definitely going to have a point of impact difference right? What are your thoughts on a rangefinder.
When you find that range finder let me know, I'm on the same search.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the Leupold RX 1000 for bow hunting. Fairly solid at the range finding part, but optics are fair at best. I use a G-Seven BR2 for rifle hunting. I haven't found a perfect one for both yet.

WRO

WKR
I use the Leupold RX 1000 for bow hunting. Fairly solid at the range finding part, but optics are fair at best. I use a G-Seven BR2 for rifle hunting. I haven't found a perfect one for both yet.
I use a nikon pro staff something or other and El ranges, that being said, I have a 3k rangefinder combo that I only use when I'm guiding or rifle hunting. The glass is good, very good, but when you look through els all the time it's not the same. (Yes I'm an optics snob)

I'd really like to have just one unit that did it all, range consistently past a grand and do angle comp close in.