"I don't really want to kill anything"

So, I went on my first hunting trip to Montana last fall. I spent three weeks there and left an elk tag unfilled, but I was able to successfully take a 4x4 mule deer and saw lots of up-close spike bulls. My dad was intrigued by my activities and expressed interest in helping out with packing meat and whatever else. I mentioned that I'd love to get him out there and get him on something. We used to hunt in Northern MN, and he took several deer and one really nice 10-pointer, so I figured he wouldn't mind. With some tag deadlines on the horizon, I reached out, hoping he would be getting excited.

Instead, he expressed that he'd rather just tag along like he had proposed last year. I have hunted/fished with other people who were not really committed to the sport before, and I find that it lowers success rates, dampens moods, and hinders the experience - like drinking with someone who is sober. Although I'd love to hunt with my dad again, I'm unsure if it's worth it if he's not fully committed to the experience.

Anyone have similar experiences?
I realize I'm 4 pages late and haven't read the thread, but speaking as a dad who's three sons are all now young men I can say nothing is more enjoyable than helping them kill and pack animals. If I had to choose between killing 100 animals in the rest of my lifetime or going hunting with each of them to help them kill 1 animal I'd choose the latter without blinking an eye. I can understand what you're saying and your concerns, however this is your dad here and that's a lot different. When I hunt with my sons I outwork them ten fold and absolutely bust my tail to get them success no matter the situation, I care more about them killing something than they do.

Elk97

WKR
You should definitely take him. If you don't, I doubt he'll ever ask again because the message he heard was "you're too much of a bother and you'll slow me down". He's telling you he wants to spend time with you. Make it a good time for him, and you. You'll be glad you did.
I'm not done hunting yet (72) but I know I slow by two sons down. Fortunately, they still hunt with me and when they need a break from me they go off on their own and I hunt solo. I understand. We have a good time. Still hoping to call a bull in for them.

DWarcher

WKR
If you're lucky enough to have a son/daughter that likes to hunt, in 30 years or so you just might find yourself on the other side of this equation. When that happens, do you really believe that you wouldn't be committed just because you didn't have a tag in your pocket? I would guess not. Take your dad!

My take on it is no different than any other hunting partner. Sometimes you bring someone that has a different attitude, drive, conditioning. Doesn't mean you can go on a hunt together. Set realistic expectation. Your dad may be perfectly happy sitting on a knob glassing an entire drainage for you. He may be happy packing a quarter back to basecamp or truck after you bring it up the 30 degree 1/4 mile drainage.

Morning session: plan on being within 1/2 mile of each other glassing different drainages then meet up chat about the session, eat lunch, make a plan for the early afternoon/evening session. I would drop him off at the first glassing point then trek on to the 2nd. Then I know exactly where he is.

I would love to have my dad go on a hunt but he's a cardiac patient, bilateral knee replacements, etc. However, he never really showed any interest in tagging along, which honestly, sucks. So, with my son, when we go hunting it's all about him not me.

Best of luck!

Cruzj

FNG
So, I went on my first hunting trip to Montana last fall. I spent three weeks there and left an elk tag unfilled, but I was able to successfully take a 4x4 mule deer and saw lots of up-close spike bulls. My dad was intrigued by my activities and expressed interest in helping out with packing meat and whatever else. I mentioned that I'd love to get him out there and get him on something. We used to hunt in Northern MN, and he took several deer and one really nice 10-pointer, so I figured he wouldn't mind. With some tag deadlines on the horizon, I reached out, hoping he would be getting excited.

Instead, he expressed that he'd rather just tag along like he had proposed last year. I have hunted/fished with other people who were not really committed to the sport before, and I find that it lowers success rates, dampens moods, and hinders the experience - like drinking with someone who is sober. Although I'd love to hunt with my dad again, I'm unsure if it's worth it if he's not fully committed to the experience.

I grew up hunting with my dad. He still hunts but he hunts on a private ranch with his brother and I hunt public land with my buddies. I love going with him even if I don’t carry a gun (due to the private ranch rules). It’s the time and I share the joy with him when he gets something

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Trace Adkins ; "She thinks we're just fishing".
There's more to hunting than just killing something.
I`m 75 and pulling a trigger doesn`t mean as much to me, and taking an animal`s life, doesn`t mean as much to me as it used to. Just the Spring woods during turkey season is worth the price of admission to me. God has given us so much to appreciate if we`re just quiet and take time to look and notice.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I`m 75 and pulling a trigger doesn`t mean as much to me, and taking an animal`s life, doesn`t mean as much to me as it used to. Just the Spring woods during turkey season is worth the price of admission to me. God has given us so much to appreciate if we`re just quiet and take time to look and notice.

Love that! And here is what I’ll say. I wasn’t able to pull a tag for myself, I’m not about to take a guy to CO OTC for his first taste (my favorite part about MT was the isolation), so essentially things are off for that reason now. As much as you don’t care about the trigger, neither do I. But I love a shared goal, so I wish I would been able to convince him to put his name in the hat.

DirtyLee

FNG
The memories you guys have are awesome, I'm actually very jealous. My dad though very involved in my life is not an outdoors man. I took up hunting in my twenties and have invited my dad more times that I can count. Hoping my kids can finally get him out this year.

MattB

WKR

Someone hunting with you who doesn’t want to kill anything doesn’t dampen the mood, YOU let it dampen your mood.

My dad died unexpectedly 5 years ago and I would give anything to have him out on a hunt with me.

Time in the field with your Dad is limited. I’d say take him, even if OTC CO.

if not Dad or kids, my vote would be steer clear unless the individual shows some level of interest in beginning hunting.

Eyeman

FNG
Late on this thread as well but,
After I moved out of the house to the west my Dad would come from Texas and camp, cook, order the other guys around to do the dishes, ride around in the truck, drop me off on a hike and pick me up.
I offered to get him tags but he just enjoyed the western mountains, the snow, the 4x4ing and the comraderie with my Hunting partners and became a staple in camp.
I loved it and so did he.
Lost him 5 years ago and sorely miss him.
(You know who your pards are when they travel a thousand miles and you see them sitting in the service.)
So do it!!

TFrank

WKR
I enjoy other people harvesting just as much as when I do. In a lot of cases I enjoy it more. Don’t always need a tag.Those types of people are out there for sure.