"I don't really want to kill anything"

ODB

WKR
Remember when you finally got old enough to realize how much your folks sacrificed so you could do or have things when you were younger? I think there are reciprocal sacrifices we can make to ensure our folks have what they need when they are older.

schmalzy

WKR
Remember when you finally got old enough to realize how much your folks sacrificed so you could do or have things when you were younger? I think there are reciprocal sacrifices we can make to ensure our folks have what they need when they are older.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Absolutely. I definetly didn’t realize or appreciate it at the time but now I can say for certain that they busted their butts and gave it a 100% effort to do it right.

Marble

WKR
So, I went on my first hunting trip to Montana last fall. I spent three weeks there and left an elk tag unfilled, but I was able to successfully take a 4x4 mule deer and saw lots of up-close spike bulls. My dad was intrigued by my activities and expressed interest in helping out with packing meat and whatever else. I mentioned that I'd love to get him out there and get him on something. We used to hunt in Northern MN, and he took several deer and one really nice 10-pointer, so I figured he wouldn't mind. With some tag deadlines on the horizon, I reached out, hoping he would be getting excited.

Instead, he expressed that he'd rather just tag along like he had proposed last year. I have hunted/fished with other people who were not really committed to the sport before, and I find that it lowers success rates, dampens moods, and hinders the experience - like drinking with someone who is sober. Although I'd love to hunt with my dad again, I'm unsure if it's worth it if he's not fully committed to the experience.

Anyone have similar experiences?
My dad is gonna be 73 this year. He hasn't really been killing much, if anything, in several years. But he always goes. He saddles his own horse, packs his own pack, and is totally self-sufficient. He really helps out and does more work than anyone when it comes to anything. But he doesn't really care if he kills anything.

Enjoy your time with your dad. There isn't always a next time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I'd give my left nut to have my dad join me on a hunt these days. Sadly, those days have come and gone. I'm lucky as hell to have had the time I did with him. Enjoy the heck outta every trip you get with him.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is what it's all about. My dad, my son, and my best friend's son on an antelope hunt. After helping my dad and my son each fill their three tags, I was so tired I didn't even try to fill my tag on the last day. I would be happy to do that again as many times as my dad wants to go.

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6152.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of great memories and comments on this post. I tagged along with my dad stalking squirrels starting about age 4. I followed him on many adventures as just an observer. I learned so much just being there. Now Dad is 80 and he still has the drive and desire to go but lacks the energy and sometimes arthritis just slows him down too much. Going to be a sad day when I go out and he is not even around to tell the story too.

LostArra

WKR
Speaking as a dad of adult kids and nephews who hunt, sometimes I don't want to kill something just so they will have more opportunity to kill something. This would especially be true for elk. Dad shoots an elk first morning, your hunting is over until the meat is packed out.

My most memorable hunt ever was watching my daughter thru binoculars as she arrowed a big buck.

ewade07

WKR
Growing up, my older brother and I did a ton of hunting with our dad. Elk, deer, waterfowl, upland. Every year we would pack an camp in with our horses and leave it up all season long, spend a week in Eastern MT deer hunting. He passed away almost 17 years ago. I would do anything to have him here and to just tag along on a hunt. Take the old man hunting and get some meat strapped to his back and have the time of your lives together. There will come time when those days are over.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
My 94 year old dad never did kill a critter. Just liked being out. I liked bringing mom some food so I carried a gun. He didn't. But he was with me

I have a couple of different perspectives on this situation.

In the last few years, I have really enjoyed times where I didn't have a tag and was just there to help. You get all of the experience, the exertion, the fun, but with a lot less pressure to be successful. Depending on the person I'm with, I am every bit as or more invested in the outcome.

My dad is great and I absolutely have my love of the outdoors thanks to him. I can remember being carried on his shoulders turkey hunting in the bluffs. A quick afternoon duck hunt. We shot hundreds of pheasants and dozens of turkeys. As soon as I could drive, I was skipping school to hunt (with the car he gave me). I would pay a handsome fee to get back some of the voicemails he left me...

Unfortunately, he decided he was "too old" far too early. Everything became too far, too steep, too something. He was never in great shape and never prioritized it. Although he can afford anything he wants and does with multiple country club memberships (he's the mayor of golf), when it came to hunting he's not been one to pay much. He kind of wants it to be free, flat land or downhill both ways, start late and quit early, with a target rich environment. He doesn't want to plan ahead or think about tags and such. It's simply an after thought. I don't care who is playing football tonight or about drinking with his old friends in town.

In short, my priorities are far too different than his to actually enjoy hunting with him these days. It's honestly just been frustrating for several years. My mother also commented that he doesn't seem to enjoy or prioritize hunting these days.

Because I still value spending time with him, and by his own admission, we have unspokenly landed on fishing. He likes fishing more these days anyway. It's low pressure for success, we go somewhere cool and pay a guide. The hours and the weather are more comfortable. The lodging and meals are significantly better. Recently, he had a health scare and I definitely spent some time reflecting on all of this. I know someday I'll wish for one more hunt together but for now, we fish.

Stalker69

WKR
All I can say is, TAKE YOUR DAD, let him do what he wants to do. Helping you is what he is suggesting. YOU WILL REGRET IT if he don't go someday. What I wouldn't give to have one more hunt ( as he got older he didnt much care if he killed anything or not, but loved to see us boys hunt, and loved going) or fishing trip with my dad. Mark my words, you will regret it. He is trying to spend time with you, doing something you like.

VernAK

WKR
I'm now in my 80s and get around good but have little desire or ability to handle Big Game. I go moose hunting every year but send those anxious young guys over the hill to call moose. I always tell em : "you shoot a bull way down there and you have just braided a whip for your own ass"......they'll do it every time. I smile....BTDT but I still enjoy it!

A friend's grand kids drew cow moose tags so Uncle Vern got a call for help. I told em "there will be some moose in that clearing. "Do NOT shoot a cow that has a calf and be sure they drop where I can get the pickup and trailer near." Brought em home whole [minus guts] and made coffee while they learned the skinning and butchering process.

cows.JPG

Rich M

WKR
Once some folks reach a point, the kill isnt why they go. We hunted out of a camp for a while that had kids too young to hunt solo, young men, middle aged men, and finally the old men who kept the camp fire burning, drank the burbon and played cards.

Took my dad to CO in 2019 as camp cook. We got froze out by a subzero blast and ended up in town at a hotel. Couldnt warm the canvas wall tent w propane heater. Buddy and i still hunted and dad thawed out. We got a nice muley and missed 2 others. Was dad’s last trip. Good memories.

He’s still here, went fishing yesterday. Going on 83. Every trip is a blessing. He doesn’t slow me down, he makes the experience similar to all the others in my memory. Not sure i will continue to hunt when he’s gone.

As im older and have grandkids, it isnt as much about the kill but how you get there.

Bring your dad w you. Hunt as hard as you want, he’ll be at camp with some hot food when you stumble in. Will want to hear what you seen and share in it all. If his trip is like my dad’s he’ll see more from camp than you do elsewhere. Enjoy it!

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking as a dad of adult kids and nephews who hunt, sometimes I don't want to kill something just so they will have more opportunity to kill something. This would especially be true for elk. Dad shoots an elk first morning, your hunting is over until the meat is packed out.

My most memorable hunt ever was watching my daughter thru binoculars as she arrowed a big buck.
Awesome experience, I'm sure