"I don't really want to kill anything"

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
So, I went on my first hunting trip to Montana last fall. I spent three weeks there and left an elk tag unfilled, but I was able to successfully take a 4x4 mule deer and saw lots of up-close spike bulls. My dad was intrigued by my activities and expressed interest in helping out with packing meat and whatever else. I mentioned that I'd love to get him out there and get him on something. We used to hunt in Northern MN, and he took several deer and one really nice 10-pointer, so I figured he wouldn't mind. With some tag deadlines on the horizon, I reached out, hoping he would be getting excited.

Instead, he expressed that he'd rather just tag along like he had proposed last year. I have hunted/fished with other people who were not really committed to the sport before, and I find that it lowers success rates, dampens moods, and hinders the experience - like drinking with someone who is sober. Although I'd love to hunt with my dad again, I'm unsure if it's worth it if he's not fully committed to the experience.

Anyone have similar experiences?

schmalzy

WKR
So, I went on my first hunting trip to Montana last fall. I spent three weeks there and left an elk tag unfilled, but I was able to successfully take a 4x4 mule deer and saw lots of up-close spike bulls. My dad was intrigued by my activities and expressed interest in helping out with packing meat and whatever else. I mentioned that I'd love to get him out there and get him on something. We used to hunt in Northern MN, and he took several deer and one really nice 10-pointer, so I figured he wouldn't mind. With some tag deadlines on the horizon, I reached out, hoping he would be getting excited.

Instead, he expressed that he'd rather just tag along like he had proposed last year. I have hunted/fished with other people who were not really committed to the sport before, and I find that it lowers success rates, dampens moods, and hinders the experience - like drinking with someone who is sober. Although I'd love to hunt with my dad again, I'm unsure if it's worth it if he's not fully committed to the experience.

Anyone have similar experiences?

I’m saying this with as much respect as I can via text but I’d kill for the chance that my Dad asked me if he could just hangout and spend time with me on my hunt. Near the top of my dreams.

Hope you have the hunt you’re looking for but my vote is 100% take your dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
My dad could care less if he kills something, if he hunts for a day, or an hour. He’s looking for quality time. And I feel the same way. I put as much effort into it as he wants to put into it, but I’ll bend over backward to make it happen for as long as he can and is willing.

I think you need to look at the big picture, it’s not about the animal or the hunt.

yfarm

WKR
I’m on the other end at 69 1/2, said exactly the same thing, ended up hunting large game animals after being a bird hunter my whole life. Do it for the quality time in remote places with my sons. Hearing a Wyoming outfitter/ guide collapsing on the ground saying he had never been outclimbed by his hunter. Do long distance offshore fishing trips for the same reasons. Sleeping on the open deck of a center console 150 miles out is balanced by coaching a 14 y/o catching his first billfish.

Sounds like he is committed to spending time with you but just doesnt want to kill anything.

I guess you should ask yourself if tagging out is more important than time spent with your dad.
This^^^. Like when I take my kids hunting. Time spent with them is more important than punching a tag. You can maybe go out a second time alone and hunt however you want to hunt if you aren’t successful with your dad.

I always have hunts for myself or myself and buddies that we get after. When I go with my kids, its all about them having fun spending time with dad…

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on the other end at 69 1/2, said exactly the same thing, ended up hunting large game animals after being a bird hunter my whole life. Do it for the quality time in remote places with my sons. Do long distance offshore fishing trips for the same reasons. Sleeping on the open deck of a center console 150 miles out is balanced by coaching a 14 y/o catching his first billfish.
Love that, appreciate your ambition. Maybe my biggest cause for hesitation is I saw how challenging things were with myself & another guy my age. On top of that we each took 3 weeks & had plenty of un-fun along our way towards fun. Partially, having two guys with tags double the chance of success which would be nice.

Wrench

WKR
I'm nearly 50 and have hunted zero hours with my dad. I actually gave my dad the rifle I killed my first deer with. Unfortunately he deteriorated too fast for that rifle to earn another story.

Enjoy your time and give him a high 5 from me.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Love that, appreciate your ambition. Maybe my biggest cause for hesitation is I saw how challenging things were with myself & another guy my age. On top of that we each took 3 weeks & had plenty of un-fun along our way towards fun. Partially, having two guys with tags double the chance of success which would be nice.
If he’s Not hunting he might not have an opinion about any decisions which would be great.