Hunting Journal

Warmsy

WKR
I've wondered about doing this but never did. No being much of a writer, I think I would have a hard time structuring it and knowing what to write and where. I'm afraid it would be full of chicken scratch notes without any meaning.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Mine are pretty organized visually, but i don't know if a lot of the information I notate matters... But I'm hoping over the years it will make sense what's important and what I can forget. That chicken scratch random note might be gold next year.

I keep a separate journal for every archery practice. After 3 years I've stopped, but it was so helpful to read the last sessions' notes and work on my weaknesses.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Mine are pretty organized visually, but i don't know if a lot of the information I notate matters... But I'm hoping over the years it will make sense what's important and what I can forget. That chicken scratch random note might be gold next year.

I keep a separate journal for every archery practice. After 3 years I've stopped, but it was so helpful to read the last sessions' notes and work on my weaknesses.
Oh, that is a golden piece of advice. Totally going to start an archery journal.

Roan444

FNG
I've had a journal for the last couple of years and it's empty. Mostly because I'm lazy.

This thread has me inspired to change my ways and get started by at least logging last years success best I can recall, and be diligent about this year and going forward.

Thanks @jlw0142 for the thread!

KurtR

WKR
I do and its to keep track of decoy spreads and weather conditions. The biggest reason is pictures of my dog and the retrieves that he has got. They are not around long enough so want to keep memories documented.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I do and its to keep track of decoy spreads and weather conditions. The biggest reason is pictures of my dog and the retrieves that he has got. They are not around long enough so want to keep memories documented.

Yeah, I’m sure a journal would be invaluable to a waterfowl hunter. It’ll be awesome to look back and see the progression of your pups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a journal for the last couple of years and it's empty. Mostly because I'm lazy.

This thread has me inspired to change my ways and get started by at least logging last years success best I can recall, and be diligent about this year and going forward.

Thanks @jlw0142 for the thread!

Good deal, no problem! I think I’m going to do the same, but I honestly can’t remember the conditions very well when I killed my buck last year so it may be pointless. Might as well write down the story though so I can save what memory I still have!

I've been keeping a hunting journal for the last 10 years or so after I read the one my dad started after he killed his first buck.

I typically only record successful hunts or interesting things I see in the woods. Big trips get put in there too. I think it's worthwhile and I enjoy reading back on past hunts. I have a special pen made of antler that I write with. The journal is a nice leather bound one that my wife gave me while we were engaged, either as a birthday or Christmas gift.

My dad put in big trips, interesting hunts with me as a kid, etc. I enjoyed his one entry where I balled like a baby after a hunt where I didn't feel confident enough with my rifle set up at a monster 8 point. When I say monster, it was no joke a 140+ inch 8 point. Real big for that part of Alabama. The rifle had a defective scope on it and wouldn't hold a zero after multiple range attempts. For some reason, my dad delayed getting a new one put on and wouldn't just let me go with iron sights. I distinctly remember that deer coming out with 45 minutes till last light and walking up to within 50 yards. Deer were all over that food plot and it was quite magical. This was about a week or so before Christmas and 2-3 weeks prior to the rut. My mom was sitting with me and my sister was with my dad.

I was inconsolable that evening at home. He called me a snot-nosed brat in his journal. I can look back now and laugh, but only sort of. My dad saw that same deer the following week in the same food plot and he'd already broken one side off from fighting.

HE WAS A MONSTER!!!!!!!

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I've been keeping a hunting journal for the last 10 years or so after I read the one my dad started after he killed his first buck.

I typically only record successful hunts or interesting things I see in the woods. Big trips get put in there too. I think it's worthwhile and I enjoy reading back on past hunts. I have a special pen made of antler that I write with. The journal is a nice leather bound one that my wife gave me while we were engaged, either as a birthday or Christmas gift.

My dad put in big trips, interesting hunts with me as a kid, etc. I enjoyed his one entry where I balled like a baby after a hunt where I didn't feel confident enough with my rifle set up at a monster 8 point. When I say monster, it was no joke a 140+ inch 8 point. Real big for that part of Alabama. The rifle had a defective scope on it and wouldn't hold a zero after multiple range attempts. For some reason, my dad delayed getting a new one put on and wouldn't just let me go with iron sights. I distinctly remember that deer coming out with 45 minutes till last light and walking up to within 50 yards. Deer were all over that food plot and it was quite magical. This was about a week or so before Christmas and 2-3 weeks prior to the rut. My mom was sitting with me and my sister was with my dad.

I was inconsolable that evening at home. He called me a snot-nosed brat in his journal. I can look back now and laugh, but only sort of. My dad saw that same deer the following week in the same food plot and he'd already broken one side off from fighting.

HE WAS A MONSTER!!!!!!!

Ah man, that’s a cool memory. I know the feeling though, and that is just a horrid feeling. Missed 4 bucks I think in my first few years of bow hunting and every one taught me a lot, but GEEZ it hurts. I still get upset thinking about one of them in particular.