Hunt Quietly - Matt Rinella's new website and podcast

Titan_Bow

WKR
I guess my rub with this is at the end of the day, it’s none of his business, your business, or my business, WHY a person is hunting, or what motivations that they have. You cannot control what motivates me, and I cannot control what motivates you. You cannot control how others may perceive hunting either. Just because you don’t post a social media post about that bull you shot, doesn’t mean you’ve changed someone’s mind. The people that hate hunting hate it regardless…Overcrowding sucks, sure. But so does traffic on I-70, or crowds at Red Rocks. The world is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago, and 20 years from now, it’s not going to be what it is today. Get out, enjoy Mother Nature, hunt, fish, hike, camp. Don’t worry about what other people are doing.
I can tell you, the most successful big game hunters I know are out there getting it. They are not at home lamenting how much it sucks that their public land honeyhole is now over crowded. They are out there getting it, scouting, finding new areas to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love and support this movement. I agree, showing dead and bloody animals to strangers on SM (except forums that only hunters look at) is about the dumbest thing our community does to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Completely disagree. To hide something is dishonest.

I post pictures on Facebook and get a lot of positive interaction from people I'd call acquaintances, people that don't hunt. They think it's cool. They congratulate me on my achievement (which is how I see success, an achievement worth celebrating). They like how my kids eat the meat and know where it came from. They are no different from the general public. Sure, I am 'friends' with one or two whacko animals rights type folks, but they don't say anything.

I am careful about what I post. It's not gore for gore's sake. And that doesn't mean I avoid pictures of rear quarters hanging, I post those, that's meat. I don't post gut piles and pools of blood pouring out of a rib cage though. I don't like that either!

I would rather own what I do, who I am, to anybody, than hide it to protect their feelings. Even if it's to my own detriment (I don't think it is).

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."

LostArra

WKR
We can be a little slow sometimes.

IMO, it is the US population that is causing the problems - we have more people than opportunity. Never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.
Most problems of any sort throughout the world can be directly or indirectly related to just too many people.

Matt has some interesting ideas but his vision is very limited. I wonder if he would be hunting deer today on only public ground if he had been born, raised and currently living in Texas.

JjamesIII

WKR

He gives a little intro to his new podcast on The Hunting Dog Podcast episode found in the link below (skip to 25 mins in, where The Hunt Quietly justification starts:

Personally, I'm glad to see Matt not giving up on his awareness campaign. Slowly, I'm sure more people will be climbing on board, especially with the current state of western big game hunting.
I like most of his mission points. Especially demonetizing hunting. Leases, guides, pay to play has screwed recruitment of younger hunters trying to get into the hobby. Long past are the days of a newbie knocking on a door to get access. Enjoy public land hunting you poor slobs, the experience out east ends in frustration generally for most.

Completely disagree. To hide something is dishonest.

I post pictures on Facebook and get a lot of positive interaction from people I'd call acquaintances, people that don't hunt. They think it's cool. They congratulate me on my achievement (which is how I see success, an achievement worth celebrating). They like how my kids eat the meat and know where it came from. They are no different from the general public. Sure, I am 'friends' with one or two whacko animals rights type folks, but they don't say anything.

I am careful about what I post. It's not gore for gore's sake. And that doesn't mean I avoid pictures of rear quarters hanging, I post those, that's meat. I don't post gut piles and pools of blood pouring out of a rib cage though. I don't like that either!

I would rather own what I do, who I am, to anybody, than hide it to protect their feelings. Even if it's to my own detriment (I don't think it is).

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
I think you completely agree with the guy you are quoting.. You openly admitted that you are "careful about what you post." I think that is exactly what the guy above you is saying. Tough line to toe imo.
I think we are never gonna convince the anti- hunters of our ways, just like they are not going to convince the Hardore hunters of their way. Those 2 groups are a small segment of the population. It is the guys in between that can be swayed one way or another. Posting respectful pictures and explaining why we hunt and how we eat what we shoot goes a long ways. I go out of my way to expose people to game meat. My summer sausage and snack sticks are legendary at work. lol.

I think you completely agree with the guy you are quoting.. You openly admitted that you are "careful about what you post." I think that is exactly what the guy above you is saying. Tough line to toe imo.
I think we are never gonna convince the anti- hunters of our ways, just like they are not going to convince the Hardore hunters of their way. Those 2 groups are a small segment of the population. It is the guys in between that can be swayed one way or another. Posting respectful pictures and explaining why we hunt and how we eat what we shoot goes a long ways. I go out of my way to expose people to game meat. My summer sausage and snack sticks are legendary at work. lol.

I interpreted his post to mean we should never post dead/dying animals. Maybe I misinterpreted. From the original post though:
  • Disincentivize (shame, unfollow) hunters that display dead and dying animals to strangers on social media
I interpret that to mean that Matt Rinella is calling for people to shame me for posting something like my avatar picture to Instagram.

ODB

WKR
I guess my rub with this is at the end of the day, it’s none of his business, your business, or my business, WHY a person is hunting, or what motivations that they have. You cannot control what motivates me, and I cannot control what motivates you. You cannot control how others may perceive hunting either. Just because you don’t post a social media post about that bull you shot, doesn’t mean you’ve changed someone’s mind. The people that hate hunting hate it regardless…Overcrowding sucks, sure. But so does traffic on I-70, or crowds at Red Rocks. The world is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago, and 20 years from now, it’s not going to be what it is today. Get out, enjoy Mother Nature, hunt, fish, hike, camp. Don’t worry about what other people are doing.
I can tell you, the most successful big game hunters I know are out there getting it. They are not at home lamenting how much it sucks that their public land honeyhole is now over crowded. They are out there getting it, scouting, finding new areas to hunt.

No man is an island…

If your behaviour only affected you, that would be one thing, but the fact is the behaviours of hunters have knock-on effects to other hunters and hunting in general.

You live in the public and hunt public animals - even when on private land.

I find myself listening to the MeatEater's State of the Union Podcast and Newberg's Fresh Track's weekly conservation updates more than anything else. It helps me keep up with what's going on with hunting/fishing from a political/governmental aspect. I'll listen to Matt's podcast to see if it's on the same wavelength. I don't need to hear someone else bitching and whining without reasonable ideas of how to correct the problem.

As my boys are getting older and starting to hunt, I get more and more worried what the nation's tolerance will be for hunting/fishing in THEIR future.

Social Media is a fickle beast as it helps people stay in the know of conservation efforts and current events, but is also a big part of why our hunting/fishing traditions are being threatened. Would completely separating Social Media from hunting/fishing help, or be the demise?

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Hunters who spend their time criticizing other hunters for hunting the wrong way and/or hunting for the wrong reasons are more potentially destructive to the future of hunting than anti-hunters will ever be. Hunting is one of the main tools of successful game management. Hunters need to kill the right number of animals each year in order to keep game populations in balance. And game management as a whole can't happen without the money that hunting generates. It's short-sighted and foolish to think that everything would be better if hunters just stopped spending money, boycotted landowners and guides, and all had the "right" motivations for hunting. The deer and elk who are killed every year during hunting season don't care why the guy or gal who killed them chose to go hunting. And they don't care if the guy or gal who killed them spent any money on the hunt or not. All of that only matters to some guy that gets his panties in a wad over some other hunter who isn't hunting the same way as him or with the same thoughts about hunting as him.

Matt just needs to go hunting however, wherever and whenever he wants to, and then he needs to quit worrying about how and why other hunters hunt. If he's successful in his endeavor to end paid hunting on private lands, he'll destroy game populations all across the country. If there's no value assigned to the animals, there will be no incentive for landowners to tolerate them on their land. They'll replace the wild game with livestock or some other cash crop. Matt isn't thinking about what would happen in response to and as a result of his proposed action.

pk_

WKR
We can be a little slow sometimes.

IMO, it is the US population that is causing the problems - we have more people than opportunity. Never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.

It's too late. The ramifications of the you tube personalities and impressionable people has already started to cause damage.

Tragedy of the commons. Coming soon to a land near you.

Why are there wanton waste laws? Is it because we decided as a people that hunting just to kill without harvesting the meat is wrong?
Why do we limit what weapons people can use, is it partly due to traditional use practices?

All that to say, apparently we do care about how and why and what motivates people to hunt.
There's a lot of gray area around the conversation of people who make money off of hunting and fishing traditions.
All I'm saying is, maybe that's worth thinking about and putting some guard rails in place. I'd like to keep the train rolling, not get derailed because we all put our heads in the sand about it.

Last edited:
People do lots of shit to generate content to make money. I don’t judge. I also don’t digest their content.

i don’t know any other research ecologists or dept of ag employees that have a public voice that reaches me. Can you name one? I will wait. I could be wrong, but it seems to me like Matt has a platform because he was featured on his brothers shows and social media. Now he is using that platform In part to decry hunting focused content. I view that as ironic. You and I appear to differ on that point.

I also find it ironic that he has complained about the proliferation of western hunters, when he him self is a transplant from the Midwest. maybe he feels grandfathered in because he came up before social media. I do recall Steve remarking about how influential reading hunting books and magazines was for him - the 80s and 90s version of social media. I imagine Matt may have been the same.

for someone like me that came to hunting late in life, reading his essay from a few months back, sounded a lot like the proverbial grumpy old man saying “get off my lawn” because I moved into this neighborhood +20 years ago and I liked it the way it was before you showed up.

I will take a look at what he is putting out and I will listen to his podcast, when I can find it and find the time.

in the meantime, I remain a big tent guy. I will put up with a few more boot prints in the woods to get a few more supporters at the ballot box. More hunters is more votes and dollars into the industry, which is more jobs and more power to influence outcomes that will protect and preserve hunting.

You'll never get enough numbers to matter at the ballot box. We are such a small minority that we could triple our numbers and nothing would change at the ballot box. Triple numbers would kill resources though...

I am 100% with him on combating the pay to play model.

Given the recent actions of WYOGA and MOGA, it’s more than apparent these people do not have the best interest of the average American hunter in mind.

We’ve had to do radical things to decouple economics and wildlife in order to save hunting before. It doesn’t shock me that we may have to do more “decoupling” to keep it going in the future.

The social media stuff I’m torn on. I’ve told him this directly on here, I think his brother has been by and large been a net benefit to the perception of hunting and hunters in this country. That can’t entirely be bad if your main concerns are access and hunter rights.

Either way, I think it’s an important conversation to have. I’m glad he started it, and maybe we’ll refine something out of it that makes hunting better for all of us.

KurtR

WKR
You'll never get enough numbers to matter at the ballot box. We are such a small minority that we could triple our numbers and nothing would change at the ballot box. Triple numbers would kill resources though...
not that i want to deal with more people but there are a set amount of tags given out regardless if 300 people apply or 3 million. So how would that kill the resource?

I looked at his website and listened to about 20 mins of his podcast. He and I are not on the same page on several issues but I expect there is more in common than not. Best of luck to Matt with whatever he is trying to achieve, but I am gonna take a pass.

not that i want to deal with more people but there are a set amount of tags given out regardless if 300 people apply or 3 million. So how would that kill the resource?
Not everything is a drawn or limited tag currently.
Not to mention traffic on lands, scouting, conflicts with others, etc

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You'll never get enough numbers to matter at the ballot box. We are such a small minority that we could triple our numbers and nothing would change at the ballot box…
With all due respect, I disagree and I point to some of the successes that Howl for Wildlife @luckyluciano2 has already had at the legislative level. I realize that’s not quite “the ballot box“ but they’re stopping or hindering many of these anti-hunting movements before they make it to the ballot box. In my opinion numbers completely matter.