How will 75% Tag Allocation Affect Preference Points in CO?

The other states that did appx the same thing in the past-decreasing the % of tags for non residents- caused the point creep to go up every single year…even a decade later……with no end in sight.
Plan on it

Example; there are elk units in AZ that take almost 30 points….but thats for guys that have been applying for over two decades. If you do the math and starting to accumulate points now, it would take hundreds of years to draw with points. Crazy.
Your math would need to account for the human life span and declining participation with age so no it will never take hundreds of years, but your underlying point is correct, all those licences will become at best OIL and mostly Never in a Lifetime, and the hunters that actually draw will all be in their 70’s and 80’s.

When saying folks will be "unhappy" that NW Colorado units went to no public land OTC this year, think about the animals and the 70%+ die off from a severe winter in 22-23, not the lack of an opportunity to hunt. Plenty of other states.

Hoping some of y’all with good insight on the draw system can chime in. With CO officially moving from 65/35 to 75/25 for Elk, Deer, Bear, and Pronghorn, do you think CO residents will see a noticeable shift downwards in preference points needed to hunt the same units as previous years? As a CO resident, I’ve noticed that more and more units are harder to hunt on the limited 1st rifle tags with either 0 points or 2nd choice and 1PP selection. Hoping this will allow for more hunts to become available for residents.
Sounds like a subtle, non controversial question , but my 2nd grade granddaughter would quickly tell me she would rather have 75 cents instead of 65 cents.

Sounds like a subtle, non controversial question , but my 2nd grade granddaughter would quickly tell me she would rather have 75 cents instead of 65 cents.
That’s a pretty demeaning response to what I thought was a normal question. Your metaphor also makes no sense when discussing resident vs non resident draw odds, preference point creep, 2nd chance draws, and long term tag allocations.

Maybe talk to your granddaughter about manners next time, maybe she can teach you something.

That’s a pretty demeaning response to what I thought was a normal question. Your metaphor also makes no sense when discussing resident vs non resident draw odds, preference point creep, 2nd chance draws, and long term tag allocations.

Maybe talk to your granddaughter about manners next time, maybe she can teach you something.
I’m sure you can find someone to tell you that 75% of a pie is more than 65% of a pie.

I’m sure you can find someone to tell you that 75% of a pie is more than 65% of a pie.
This will be my last response to you so I don’t keep bumping this thread to reply to your weird comments about my question.

At no point did I ask if 75% is better than 65%. I simply asked how much will this actually benefit residents. Will it be where most folks don’t even notice a change or will we see a domino affect where a decent portion of tags become easier to draw or point creep will stop due to the 10% bump in allocation.

Either your critical reading skills are severely lacking or you were too quick trying to come up with a snarky comment, but you missed the entire reason for my question.

If questions like this bother you, then maybe spend less time on a hunting forum dedicated to starting conversations like these.

This will be my last response to you so I don’t keep bumping this thread to reply to your weird comments about my question.

At no point did I ask if 75% is better than 65%. I simply asked how much will this actually benefit residents. Will it be where most folks don’t even notice a change or will we see a domino affect where a decent portion of tags become easier to draw or point creep will stop due to the 10% bump in allocation.

Either your critical reading skills are severely lacking or you were too quick trying to come up with a snarky comment, but you missed the entire reason for my question.

If questions like this bother you, then maybe spend less time on a hunting forum dedicated to starting conversations like these.
The ‘Quality’ units that take more than 5 PP remain at 80-20%

The ‘Quality’ units that take more than 5 PP remain at 80-20%
Yep, so I’m curious how much this will have an actual impact on the lower PP units. The higher quality hunts generally have a larger disparity of PP needed for non resident compared to resident so it’ll be interesting to see if the 75/25 split causes the same for the lower PP units as well.

"Our" unit didn't even utilize it's total nr allocation last year. A bit more than the 25% this year, but a big glut picked up tags. Kind of frees up the possibility, even with the 25% cap that we could see points drop back just a hair, requiring 1 less point for some to draw. Doubt it but will see what happens. Trying to talk brother into trying a new unit if we don't draw our first choice. We will see. Also, did prices go up this year or was it last. We didn't apply for elk as we had an E1R Muley tag we were pretty much guaranteed. $900 total to hunt elk this year...whew!

Your math would need to account for the human life span and declining participation with age so no it will never take hundreds of years, but your underlying point is correct, all those licences will become at best OIL and mostly Never in a Lifetime, and the hunters that actually draw will all be in their 70’s and 80’s.
Well sure, those stats are straight math.

Suffice to say a guy can extrapolate those numbers and realize most non resident applicants/ point holders will die before ever drawing the tag- while bettering the chances for residents.
I dunno what the “Fair” percentage is but applying for a lifetime and not being able to draw the tag doesn’t seem fair.

( edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Obviously more residents will get tags. Draw percentages will go up. Statistically significant increases, probably not. A little pause in point creep, but the quota % change isn't going make big changes in points needed. If you happen to fall in the last point pool that is drawing a particular tag, that is where the big benefit will be.

Question: If residents apps don't make up at least 75% of the first choice apps can NR go over the 25% ?

I would think the residents don't come close to 75% of the 1st apps in alot of the lower point (former otc) draws with alot of tags available, so if the remaining can go to NR I don't see anything changing.... (at least in those units)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Question: If residents apps don't make up at least 75% of the first choice apps can NR go over the 25% ?

I would think the residents don't come close to 75% of the 1st apps in alot of the lower point (former otc) draws with alot of tags available, so if the remaining can go to NR I don't see anything changing.... (at least in those units)

Yep just found it on page 4 of the book.

"Nonresident allocations may increase if licenses remain after all Colorado resident first choices have been drawn for that hunt code."

This means less money for CO fish and game. It also means that you are going to be hunting with more locals than outsiders. Has any state listed res vs NR success rates? I would assume they would have to factor that in when they are making quotas. If the res success rate is higher than NR then in theory they would be issuing less tags overall to hit their animal yield rate.

I havent lived in CO for 15 years and havent hunted there in the last 6 years. Taking a step back and looking at the whole picture my gut would tell me that their big game hunting is unlikely to improve vs degrade over the next decade.

I personally don't think you'll see a change, in 30+ years of playing the game I haven't seen PP's drop in any areas. I think the only way you would see that is if the license quota's jumped way up, and I can't see that happening from a herd management stand point.

I think we could see it in WY next year for a couple areas specifically in the "special" catagory with the price hike. We shall see. But a simple shift in % allocated to whatever group wont change much.

Dont forget that a percentage of Landowner tags are pulled from the public license quota - typically the Resident quota, not the NonRes quota

So in actuality, the 75% encompasses LO tags too, Non Res get a full 25%.

Back