How to remove broken off/pushed-in nock?

Macintosh

WKR
The good news is he weighed in at 158lb, blood trail was good and tracking job was barely long-enough to be interesting.

The bad news is my nockturnal lighted nock broke off leaving only the pressure-fit stud inside the arrow shaft. My inserts are solid as well, so I cant use a piece of stiff wire to push it out from the front. I tried using an easy-out, and just ended up pushing it 3/4” into the shaft.

Any brite ideas on getting the base of the nock out?

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Tried coarse and fine sheet rock screws. Could not get either to bite. Its like a aluminum/ceramic or something, had a hard time even drilling the pilot hole when I tried the easy out. Any other ideas? Barring any miracle solutions I guess I’ll just stuff another nock in in top and use it as a practice arrow?
I’m cheap, hate to see a perfectly good shaft wasted. 😆

If you drop the nock end on a table enough, it should make what's left of the nock be flush. Then maybe try holding the point side and give it a sharp swing? How tight is the fit? Also more on the risky side but you could put a dab of superglue on a nail or something and pull it out like that. Don't think I'd try it if it's inside the arrow very far because you can get screwed over lol. Also could drill a small hole through the insert and blow air through the insert side.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

You might be able to drill through your insert with a bit slightly smaller than the thread diameter then push the nock out with a thin rod. If the insert is aluminum or brass, it should be doable...steel or titanium would be more difficult. You will run the risk of damaging the insert threads while drilling.

rclouse79

WKR
The good news is he weighed in at 158lb, blood trail was good and tracking job was barely long-enough to be interesting.

The bad news is my nockturnal lighted nock broke off leaving only the pressure-fit stud inside the arrow shaft. My inserts are solid as well, so I cant use a piece of stiff wire to push it out from the front. I tried using an easy-out, and just ended up pushing it 3/4” into the shaft.

Any brite ideas on getting the base of the nock out?
I wish I were smart like you and consulted rokslide first. I had the same thing happen and tried to drill it out. I ended up going through the arrow and had the throw it away.

WoodBow

WKR
Things I would try:

Use something like a small dowel with a dab of super flue on the end to stick to it and pull out.

Drill small hole through insert and blow it out with an air compressor

You can possibly screw in a field point and heat the field point until the insert will come out. Boiling water might work too. However I have a pretty poor success rate with removing inserts without damaging the shaft. I use loctite blue bottle and it holds very well.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Drilled a deeper, smaller pilot hole, then upsized it and got the drywall screw to bite and pulled it out with that. Thanks for the suggestions!